The Fluffy GA Pilot

OP, have you been in a single door low wing yet? Depending how "fluffy" you are, you may find it difficult getting in and even more so getting out. Just something to consider going from a 172 to a low wing.

OP, have you been in a single door low wing yet? Depending how "fluffy" you are, you may find it difficult getting in and even more so getting out. Just something to consider going from a 172 to a low wing.

Are you overweight?
This one easy trick high wingers don't want you to know about...

Seriously though it took me a while, but there is an easy way to get in and out.

Are you overweight?
This one easy trick high wingers don't want you to know about...

Seriously though it took me a while, but there is an easy way to get in and out.

I'm by no means skinny, I would definitely qualify as over weight, I would guess. 5'11" 230lbs, but I would not describe myself as "fluffy" I'm more of a "solid" fat guy. I don't have a problem getting in and out of low wings. For sure not as easy as a high wing, but nothing terrible. But that's me. I have however watched several guys I would describe more as "fluffy" struggle badly to get in and out of them.

I'm by no means skinny, I would definitely qualify as over weight, I would guess. 5'11" 230lbs, but I would not describe myself as "fluffy" I'm more of a "solid" fat guy. I don't have a problem getting in and out of low wings. For sure not as easy as a high wing, but nothing terrible. But that's me. I have however watched several guys I would describe more as "fluffy" struggle badly to get in and out of them.

I can get in and out of a C172 - but I often let my passenger hope out first so I can scoot my fluffy butt across the seats to swing my legs out lol... Low wing is interesting, its easier to to slide into in some regards - but equally, as someone else mentioned earlier, if I had to get in and out frequently, maybe not so much fun - but I am not sure if fluffy or skinny makes a big difference there.

The Comanche is the widest plane I have flown
Cirrus SR22
Socata TB9
Grumman Traveler
Cessna 172
Cessna 182

I don't know the actual measurement, I just know I perceive it to be the furthest I have been from my right seater than in any of the above.
I believe the square nature of the cabin plays a role. Socatas are wide and flat (Hit your head on the ceiling)
A lot of the others are wide at the shoulders and taper up
The Comanche is boxy on the inside and still manages to go as fast as the others.

It's just big inside.

So the C172 is out long term - both for performance and space. I haven't jumped in a C182 yet, but I'm told they are roomier and definitely better performance. Cirrus is dreamy, just out of budget right now. Looking at the Saratoga at the moment - meets all the requirements - but you are the second person to suggest the Socata - should do a little research on it as well... and I think a couple suggestions pointed to looking at a Cardinal even though it was high wing...

Wide? Cardinal. 130kts? Cardinal RG. But they are high wing.

Low wing will probably not give as much shoulder room apples to apples because the high wing planes square off / are more vertical from floor to wing, while the low wings are going to have more of a curve to the fuse where your head and shoulders are.

Think of the curve of the door on a low wing piper vs how flat the door is on your rental Cessna.

Low wing is a preference - not a requirement - the space and performance are the ultimate determiners - I will take a poke at the Cardinal as well - can't rule something out just because of the wing position if it meets the rest of the requirements.

Cardinal is wider than the 182 BTW. It even has wider doors for easier in and out.

A little surprised I've only seen one mentioning of the Commander right at the beginning. Should be a solid aircraft for a fluffy guy and nice trailing link gear. Hoover flew a smooth aerobatic display in it too :)

A little surprised I've only seen one mentioning of the Commander right at the beginning. Should be a solid aircraft for a fluffy guy and nice trailing link gear. Hoover flew a smooth aerobatic display in it too :)

Probably because no one on here owns one right now. Every single what plane should I get is basically airplane owners saying "get one like the one I have."

"Oh, you need a plane that seats six, and is amphibious?"
Every Moonbat: "Mooney, no question."

Cardinal is wider than the 182 BTW. It even has wider doors for easier in and out.
I agree the Cardinals wider doors and no wing struts are nice. But I don't know where they take the measurements for the cabin width? My friend and I are touching shoulders in his Cardinal, not so in the 182P. Also I don't have as much head room in the Cardinal. With that said I really like the Cardinal. His is a retract and we have similar cruse speeds, but he's burning as much as 5 GPH less than I am.

"Oh, you need a plane that seats six, and is amphibious?"
Every Moonbat: "Mooney, no question."
Oh come on now, the Bonanza cult is way worse than the Mooney cult.

If the 130kt isn't set in stone and if you're somewhat budget minded...

Beech Sundowner. Wide cabin, 2 doors, but only hitting 130 in a dive.

Frankly I think my C23 would come up short of 130 even in the dive. :D

Oh come on now, the Bonanza cult is way worse than the Mooney cult.

To be fair - typically everyone advocates what they know best - thus generic requests of "what's best" usually gets a lot of fan boy responses - but when you try and outline the actual needs - in this case, width/performance - it makes it easier for people to advocate for what their past experiences have been with. I own part of a Bonanza right now (though trying to sell it for log book issues - first purchase, you learn a lot from that experience lol).

My personal thoughts having owned a couple of planes. I am 5'11". Currently 222lbs down from 242lbs.

Trying to sell my Grumman AA5. 125kt airplane but no way to get 1000lbs. Had a potential buyer come sit in it with me. He was 5'10" 280lbs. If I turned my shoulder behind his we could fit, otherwise no way.

Have owned a Cherokee 6/260 - 135kt airplane and 996lbs useable with full fuel. Two 300lb guys could sit in the front without touching shoulders.

Currently own a Cessan 310Q -185kt airplane but you have to move fuel around to get payload. Can still run 4 hours of fuel and have plenty of payload. Shoulder width is not the issue, it's getting my legs between the side panel and the column. Keeps things kinda tight in the thighs.

I find the "what plane should I get" question is most often asked by people with little flying experience and often times no license yet. In other words, they have never flown a plane for their intended mission. I suspect by the time people get a license, and some time, their needs change. The magical 1000 pound useful load is most likely never going to be a factor, the reality just about any non-entry level plane will handle the intended task.
Some may have a good handle on their future needs, but I think most often the "needs" change by the time there is some experience in the left seat. And then there is the reality of cost, that often changes the parameters of the purchase.

Wagon had a great point. Fly for a year / 100 hours or so, fly and sit in different planes then you’ll have a better idea of what you need, what fits, etc. I sat in a few planes I knew I wanted and immediately knew it didn’t fit.

I find the "what plane should I get" question is most often asked by people with little flying experience and often times no license yet. In other words, they have never flown a plane for their intended mission. I suspect by the time people get a license, and some time, their needs change. The magical 1000 pound useful load is most likely never going to be a factor, the reality just about any non-entry level plane will handle the intended task.
Some may have a good handle on their future needs, but I think most often the "needs" change by the time there is some experience in the left seat. And then there is the reality of cost, that often changes the parameters of the purchase.

The 1000 lbs useful load wasn't a consideration for me (1300 in the Comanche actually) but holy crap have I taken off at Max gross a number of times - way more than I've planned on. Of course when you're hauling 3 real sized adults and 12-16 bowling balls or softball gear for a tourney you run out of pounds in a hurry.

Got a friend with one. Been in it many times and we took it to SnF last year and to the Commander fly-in at Jekyll Island. Very nice plane with a lots of interior room ... and they have two doors! ;)

The Cirrus has a wide cockpit. Tall and/or "fluffy" people sit very comfortably, even in the back seats. As much as I love my Bonanza, I have to admit the Cirrus seating is nicer if the goal is to not rub shoulders with your neighbor.

The SR-20 will give you the speed you asked for (130 knots) but you may not like the payload, or the performance when you fill up to max gross weight. The SR-22 will haul that easily, plus give you more speed.

- Martin

If the market is any indication, the answer to any "what plane should I get" question is always the Cessna 182. Full disclosure, I own one. But I'm also 6' 4" with a BMI that probably puts me well into the fluffy category, whatever that is. I like Cardinal too, but the 182 sits upright and gives you plenty of headroom; in the Cardinal you're more reclined. I like having my own door, and I like having space in my hangar under the wings to maneuver and store additional toys (my ex-military Humvee currently shares space under the wing of my 182). As others have mentioned, find one and take a seat in it, or better, take a ride in it. Some planes are built to be flown by horse jockeys.

Not to be mean, but instead of making cute descriptions and finding a wide airplane, lose the weight man, being fat kills more people than anything.

Sure, we should lose weight when we're heavy but that takes a really long time even for the most disciplined people. I'm a personal trainer and familiar with what it takes. Until then, find the plane that fits best and reevaluate needs every few years.

Sure, we should lose weight when we're heavy but that takes a really long time even for the most disciplined people. I'm a personal trainer and familiar with what it takes. Until then, find the plane that fits best and reevaluate needs every few years.
Lost 35 pounds (211 to 176) in 10 weeks by not eating garbage. Im fairly active but I didnt add any cardio or even go to the gym. It's all a matter of will power.

Yeah —- a little yes, a lot not really. But …. Fantastic! Congrats !!!

I’ve always liked the Commander 114 cockpit. I’m fluffy myself. I’m used to getting in and out of my Bonanza but if it’s a comfort contest I’d go with the Commander all day.

Not to be mean, but instead of making cute descriptions and finding a wide airplane, lose the weight man, being fat kills more people than anything.

So do you suggest that some of us cut off our arms at the shoulders and get a SODA to fly? Whether I weigh 180 or 220 (which has been my range in the past 5 years, hitting both multiple times) my jacket/shoulder (size 48) is always the widest part of me and doesn't change.

So do you suggest that some of us cut off our arms at the shoulders and get a SODA to fly? Whether I weigh 180 or 220 (which has been my range in the past 5 years, hitting both multiple times) my jacket/shoulder (size 48) is always the widest part of me and doesn't change.

If you’re fat you know you’re fat, if you’re just a giant you know that too

I think if there was one takeaway from this virus, the one takeaway that was missed by most, is how important being healthy is, and being fat is not healthy and often will limit your lifespan as well as increase your chance of death if you get sick or even if you wipe out on a bike.

If I couldn’t go on a ride with my family because I was too fat, or if I couldn’t go on a helicopter ride because I was over the 300lb max seat weight, or had to buy a extra seat on a airline, I would think that would be a wake up call.

It’s funny, I read lots of administrative diseases on here where others say “health before flying”, or as one poster suggested take up another hobby, everyone jumps on the band wagon, but the number one cause of death in the US and the same people are trying to accommodate a reversible deadly lifestyle choice.

Last edited:
I think if there was one takeaway from this virus, the one takeaway that was missed by most, is how important being healthy is, and being fat is not healthy and often will limit your lifespan as well as increase your chance of death if you get sick or even if you wipe out on a bike.

Too bad it took the virus to make me realize this.

I lost 45 pounds over a year. All I did was change my eating habits along with a super secretive diet plan, which is reducing calorie intake, and increasing calorie burn...

Also cut sugar, carbs and fat from the meal plan. Did wonders for me.

My motivation.?? No more stints.

I have a family member that is fighting high blood pressure. Their doc is scratching around and changing medications and suggesting that losing some weight might help. I keep harping on the diet and exercise thing with them.

I like my primary care physician as he looks for causes and ways to change lifestyle habits to get results instead of pushing medications.

When I first met him I was taken with how healthy and fit he looked. When I found out he was much older than I suspected I congratulated him and he said, "I practice what I preach."

I'm very blessed with my health and take no medications at this time. I'm aware that I may not be able to outrun the meds forever, but I can try!

@Feassarian - I will only comment on the directly on 182 as I don't have any time in the others.

You mentioned you right leg up against the center column with the trim. Maybe we are not eqaually fluffy but I do find that my leg is always against that thing same as it was when I flew a 172. So getting a 182 won't cure that. But you can slide the seat back abour 11 feet to stretch out :)

We have a 177 on our field. Getting in is easy! But I think I have more shoulder to shoulder room than the 177 so that is based on experience not any measurements. Like Brad said above it sits more upright which I have come to like. At 3.5hs on that 49yr old chair I'm not stiff or sore. Not sure about you and others in a 177 - it might be underpowered or W&B really quick if its you and 2 or 3 others. 182 is a 3 people and anything plane. The 6 seat pipers are 4 people and anything planes.

You are thinking low wing so that rules out 210 and 206 - both of which are probably the same width and the 182. And 206 gives up a front door :(

Seems like you want a Lance, Toga, 6/300 or something as others have said. Dakota speed and W&B are pretty sweet but you will feel like the 172 is roomy after trying one.

For the others....other than being a retract...what about seating in Navions?

Too bad it took the virus to make me realize this.

I lost 45 pounds over a year. All I did was change my eating habits along with a super secretive diet plan, which is reducing calorie intake, and increasing calorie burn...

Also cut sugar, carbs and fat from the meal plan. Did wonders for me.

My motivation.?? No more stints.

good stuff

Back