Nobody's talking about Meatloaf?

Another one gone.

I feel as though the soundtrack of my youth is rapidly going to the grave....

Another one gone.

Look in the mirror. I’f the guy looking back is old, you are correct.

Is he dead?
Very much so. As is his more well known but often mistaken doppelgänger, Jerry Garcia, who, many may not be aware, was also in a bluegrass/folk band called Old and In The Way where he played a heckuva banjo.

I like Meatloaf, but — like most people — know only his Bat out of Hell album (which I played constantly as a teenager, until I wore out the LP) and his show-stopping cameo in Rocky Horror Picture Show. That said, one brilliant rock album is more than 99.9999%+ of the population will ever accomplish, so good for him: a life well lived.

like most people — know only his Bat out of Hell album
I wore out his Bat of of Hell II album as well years later.\. He's one of several artists I got to personally watch "grow up" in front of my eyes as I liked all of his music as well as a lot of people in my home town and other rocker venues. The added bonus was being an original RHPS flunky as well. But the thing was a lot of people did know who he was if you went to a Joplin, Seger, Who, or a number of other concerts as he opened for them as a no body. I think his standing in album record sales says a lot as well as how people remember him. One of the better live concerts I've been too.

Dude made it to 74, pretty good for a hedonistic rock star. RIP. He waited for the end of time.

I disagree with those who say Meatloaf was not big in the USA as he most certainly was. I wore out my Bat Out Of Hell album in the late 70s and the 80s. I still have the CD that I bought later on. It used to be in my 400 disc CD changer that I used to have until it stopped working. Now my entire CD collection is in several boxes, not being played. But when a Meatloaf song comes on the radio or on Pandora, the volume gets cranked, though not as much as it used to. I still love listening to him.

I guess I should clarify. Okay yes he was big, but not on the order of say Boston or the Rolling Stones or the like. The point I was making was that he was substantially more popular in Germany than in the US.

Same with the Hoff. For some reason, the Germans had a fascination with David Hasselhoff (Baywatch) as a singer. I'm pretty sure few people in the US knew he was a singer as well as an actor.

The was a documentary or a movie of some sorts a few years ago on NetFlix about Meat Loaf. He used to give so much of himself in his concerts that he often collapsed after leaving the stage. His band was so used to it that they just stepped over him on the way to the dressing room. He was also in that movie...forget the name where Steve Martin was a traveling evangelist and Lian Nieson played the local sheriff.

The was a documentary or a movie of some sorts a few years ago on NetFlix about Meat Loaf. He used to give so much of himself in his concerts that he often collapsed after leaving the stage. His band was so used to it that they just stepped over him on the way to the dressing room. He was also in that movie...forget the name where Steve Martin was a traveling evangelist and Lian Nieson played the local sheriff.
Leap of Faith. Starred Debra Winger too, was actually a decent movie.

Same with the Hoff. For some reason, the Germans had a fascination with David Hasselhoff (Baywatch) as a singer. I'm pretty sure few people in the US knew he was a singer as well as an actor.

I knew he tried adding a singing career, but I just finished breakfast and didn't want to bring it up.

Jerry Gracia? I looked the name up. I could not find a Jerry Gracia. Who was he?

You must have posted incredibly quickly after I first posted because I immediately corrected it. Of course, I meant Jerry Garcia.

Another one gone.

That happened to me when I was still young. Janis, Jim, Jimmy et al. Not as many are dying as young as they used to though. And to keep it aviation related...Bye Bye Miss American Pie

“Musics Broken Wings” is a great read. Glenn Miller, Patsy, BOTH singers from the Crickets, Rick Nelson, Lynnerd Skynerd etc .

“Musics Broken Wings” is a great read. Glenn Miller, Patsy, BOTH singers from the Crickets, Rick Nelson, Lynnerd Skynerd etc .
Both singers from the Crickets? Not sure any of the other members died in plane (or even untoward death, most made it until their 70s or 80s. And it's Lynyrd Skynyrd.

The other plane death was Stan Rogers. Oddly this occurred on a fire that broke out on an airliner and it landed but Stan and 22 others to perish in the evacuation.

Both singers from the Crickets? Not sure any of the other members died in plane (or even untoward death, most made it until their 70s or 80s. And it's Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Harold “ David” Box took over for Holly . Perished in a 172. Actually quite a few.

Dino Martin. F-4

I’m thoroughly confused. And that is easy to do.
The link about the comedian is a link to a post in that thread mentioning Meatloaf. That's why you got confused, I guess you didn't click the link, you just read the thread title.

The link about the comedian is a link to a post in that thread mentioning Meatloaf. That's why you got confused, I guess you didn't click the link, you just read the thread title.

Right. The combination of a) not knowing Meatloaf’s real name and b) not having a clue who Louie Anderson was had me thoroughly confused.

Meat Loaf was in way more movies and TV shows than I would ever have imagined. Dozens and dozens. There are a few I may watch just Because I never have, and now I want to play “Spot the famous singer”.

I was surprised to find out he sang lead on a Ted Nugent album before he hit it big.

I was really tired last night, and succumbed to the lure of Piranha 3DD which I'm embarrassed to admit I watched and recommend to no one. I mention it because the Hoff was in it, playing a fictionalized version of himself. In one scene he walks up to the waterpark that's the scene for most of the carnage and says "this is it, rock bottom". Goodness was he ever right. Gave me the one and only laugh of the movie. And yes, he sings in it, thankfully only a bit.

I saw him at Blossom Music Center (close to Akron, OH), which is an outdoor amphitheater, and Karla DeVito was there with him. I don't know if Ellen Foley (who was the female voice on "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights) ever toured with him, but when I saw him it was with Karla DeVito. I can't remember when it was. My biggest memory of the show was that it was summertime and hot, and he was sucking oxygen thru the whole show.
I do remember WMMS just playing the heck out of him.

Back