Basic Med

S

Sodakian

So, Gabapentin took me out of passing any first, second or third class medicals. Can I still get a Basic Med to fly?

Thanks

BasicMed requires a prior 1st, 2nd or 3rd class medical. I don't know what you're taking the Gabapentin for, but if that condition is well-controlled and you have a driver's license, you could look into Sport Pilot instead.

So, Gabapentin took me out of passing any first, second or third class medicals. Can I still get a Basic Med to fly?

Not enough information, but the drug itself is inconsequential to a basicmed exam.

Do you have a medical now or did you hold one after July 15, 2006?
Was your most recent medical denied, revoked or withdrawn?
Do you have a primary car physician who will do a BasicMed exam?

If your answers are Yes, No, and Yes, then you are good to go for a BasicMed exam. It will still be up to your doctor to determine if there are conditions for which he doesn't want to sign off on you flying.

Additionally, there are a few medical conditions which will require you to get a special issuance. Rather than list them here again, I'll refer you to Part 68.

Not enough information, but the drug itself is inconsequential to a basicmed exam.

Do you have a medical now or did you hold one after July 15, 2006?
Was your most recent medical denied, revoked or withdrawn?
Do you have a primary car physician who will do a BasicMed exam?

If your answers are Yes, No, and Yes, then you are good to go for a BasicMed exam. It will still be up to your doctor to determine if there are conditions for which he doesn't want to sign off on you flying.

Additionally, there are a few medical conditions which will require you to get a special issuance. Rather than list them here again, I'll refer you to Part 68.

I guess it is yes/?/yes.

I was flying professionally and was under a SI under my first class medical. When I went on Gabapentin I knew it was a disqualification type medication so I surrendered my medical to the FAA. Later on I received a letter stating that I could not operate as a PIC of an aircraft under the provisions of my SI and to relinquish my medical.

question is, is that being “denied” even though they had accepted my surrender of my medical?

I guess it is yes/?/yes.

I was flying professionally and was under a SI under my first class medical. When I went on Gabapentin I knew it was a disqualification type medication so I surrendered my medical to the FAA. Later on I received a letter stating that I could not operate as a PIC of an aircraft under the provisions of my SI and to relinquish my medical.

question is, is that being “denied” even though they had accepted my surrender of my medical?
I'm confused about the "surrendering" of your medical. You could have just let it expire, and gone on BasicMed, I believe. You can try to apply, and see if it goes through, I guess, or find an aerodoc or aerobarrister well versed in the unfathomable.

ed exam. It will still be up to your doctor to determine if there are conditions for which he doesn't want to sign off on you flying.

Yep, and since Gabapentin is a anti-seizure drug, I'd make sure he doesn't fall in this category for what it is prescribed for:

• A neurological disorder, limited to an established medical history or clinical diagnosis of any of the following:
    • Epilepsy;
    • Disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause; or
    • A transient loss of control of nervous system functions without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause.

I believe that’s equivalent to a revocation but hopefully @Brad Z or @bbchien will opine. If so, you’re screwed for Basic Med and for Sport Pilot. Had you simply let the medical expire, Basic would still be an option.

But a seizure in the air would be disastrous, so it’s better that you’re on the ground.

With BasicMed, it's not the medication but the diagnosis that may be disqualifying. As others noted, the OP is likely taking the medication for a condition that would require a one-time special issuance before going BasicMed.

We have no idea what the status of the OP's last medical certificate is, but if he got a letter stating to send in his medical, and he sent back the medical, it sure sounds like it doesn't qualify under 14 CFR 61.23(c)(3)(ii)(C). If the OP is uncertain, he can contact FAA AMCD.

Either way, 61.53 still applies.

Walk-in clinics around here won't go near basic med or even the far simpler scuba cert form. My wife needed one of the latter real quick and nobody would touch it.

Walk-in clinics around here won't go near basic med or even the far simpler scuba cert form. My wife needed one of the latter real quick and nobody would touch it.
Yep. My personal doc won't, nor will any of the seven others at his clinic.

We had a local guy who would, but his liability insuror threatened to pull coverage if he continued. A friend who just turned 80 and is in great shape was Basic Med, but now his aircraft insuror is requiring a 3rd class every year.

This whole medical thing is out of control, imho.

Can the FAA revoke a surrendered medical that you didn’t have because you had already given it back?

BTW - a doc in a box that does DOT physicals would likely do the Basic Med for you.

Can the FAA revoke a surrendered medical that you didn’t have because you had already given it back?
I'm pretty sure I don't really understand what you are asking, but I guess the answer is no - if it was indeed it was a formal, documented, and completed "surrender" the FAA accepted without restrictions, limitations, or conditions. That's a very big "IF."

BTW - a doc in a box that does DOT physicals would likely do the Basic Med for you.

They can refuse to accept the surrender if it's an attempt to avoid certificate action or if there is an ongoing investigation. There's some info in FAA Order 8500.1D and more recently in 2150.3C.

There's also a case where an airman that holds a medical certificate that has been "affirmed". A medical certificate becomes "affirmed" if the FAS takes no action within 60 days after issuance. Once an airman holds an "affirmed" medical certificate, if the airman surrenders the medical AND the FAA has reason to believe the pilot is not qualified to hold the medical they will refuse the surrender. From there they have to take NTSB action to suspend or revoke the certificate.

The NTSB action is necessary because of the "affirmed" status.

We had a local guy who would, but his liability insuror threatened to pull coverage if he continued. A friend who just turned 80 and is in great shape was Basic Med, but now his aircraft insuror is requiring a 3rd class every year.

This whole medical thing is out of control, imho.

Honestly if I make it to 80 and am still healthy enough to fly not sure I would worry about what an insurance company thinks.

That's swell if your estate is worthless.

Have you been speaking to my financial adviser? :)

The chances of hurting someone on the ground are almost statistically zero. You don't have to carry passengers.

The chances of hurting someone on the ground are almost statistically zero. You don't have to carry passengers.

But the chance of hurting somebody or something on the ground when landing or taxiing are a lot greater, that's why I have insurance.

But the chance of hurting somebody or something on the ground when landing or taxiing are a lot greater, that's why I have insurance.

Not arguing against insurance. I have plenty of it. My point is if I was 80 and it was a choice between insurance (they wont sell me) or flying I would fly.

Tell me how many people die on the ground due to GA crashes that are not in the airplane. I would bet it is a very small number. My only point being the risk to others if you fly alone is very small.

Not having hull insurance is up to you. Most of us don't have the resources to adequately provide liability insurance on a self-insured basis.

And you do that by giving everything away before dying, and living at "their" house and off "their" money providing your kids arent a-holes.

I worked with a woman, who was a widow. Her husband had died about 5 years before, she had two sons. They didn't have a will so the probate court split her house evenly between the woman and her two sons. The two boys desperately wanted new cars, so when the youngest turned 18, they sold the house from under her and bought their cars. She ended up in some crappy apartment.

I worked with a woman, who was a widow. Her husband had died about 5 years before, she had two sons. They didn't have a will so the probate court split her house evenly between the woman and her two sons. The two boys desperately wanted new cars, so when the youngest turned 18, they sold the house from under her and bought their cars. She ended up in some crappy apartment.
Wow; those were two really crappy sons.

Tell me how many people die on the ground due to GA crashes that are not in the airplane. I would bet it is a very small number. My only point being the risk to others if you fly alone is very small.

Well, there was that UPS driver in California not too long ago. Poor guy, stopped to make a delivery at the wrong house, and the wrong time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back