Is it 5G or is it Memorex?

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
Oh heavens....I had to use a paper sectional today! For shame, for shame!

Nothing around DIA today had GPS service. Not CFO, not APA...haven't heard from the other airports around here. CFO is a mere 5 nm from DIA (er....DEN) so we should have had GPS signal. Nope. Tower thinks it's the 5G rollout because we didn't get the standard notam from New Mexico testing.

If this really is a 5G issue, it's time to start letting your local congressional office know that large commercial airliners are not the only aircraft in jeopardy. VFR aint a problem but IFR may become an issue with reduced VORs, very few ADFs, and so on.

Pretty good chance 5G c-band (3.7 Ghz to 3.98 Ghz) didn't have a damn thing to do with GPS reception (1575 Mhz and 1227 Mhz)
Being completely ignorant of all such details, all I can do is relate comments from the tower. But still a mystery why GPS was out all day today in the Denver area.

The FAA will be contacting you. Please answer all phone calls. Expect to be subpoenaed to Congress rather shortly.

I heard if you got the Covid shots it’ll disrupt gps.

I'll probably lose my clearance, but the reason GPS, et. al. was out of service was because they are being converted to use the 5G signal to more accurately guide the ChemTrail sprayers. asljsgdasfeotgjer...

Whatever you do, don't mention that Delta retrofitted much of its fleet with LORAN.

shhh...don't mention which service has (or had wink wink) the largest MLS-equipped fleet in the world.

Whatever you do, don't mention that Delta retrofitted much of its fleet with LORAN.
So. Who is this Loran guy? He sounds French. Why are we using a clothing designer, and why not call him Ralph?

My phone at least is showing an inaccurate position. I opened it up and apparently I'm sitting in my neighbor's back yard across the street, about 130' from where I actually am. Worse, it wanders.

RNAV approaches could get challenging for a while.

My phone at least is showing an inaccurate position. I opened it up and apparently I'm sitting in my neighbor's back yard across the street, about 130' from where I actually am. Worse, it wanders.

You have a WAAS phone with LPV level accuracy?

good cover story. Send pics of neighbor when able.

Keep in mind that depending on where you are and what is around you, the GPS signals could bounce around and still allow a position to be calculated from some of the satellites. I once saw a track diverge as far as a half mile from my actual location.

You have a WAAS phone with LPV level accuracy?

No, but it is generally more reliable than this and the blue dot doesn't jump around. In the course of a minute, the indicated position moved 5 times and went as far as 130'. If my GPS in the plane does this, it will be bad.

I have a debug script on my statux which writes out the GPS data string. I might use that to get some data collection. When I wrote the script, I wasn't sure it was working because nothing changed until I moved the unit. I don't think I'll do it today, will depend on when I get some time.

good cover story. Send pics of neighbor when able.

Ummm...trust me, no.

No, but it is generally more reliable than this and the blue dot doesn't jump around. In the course of a minute, the indicated position moved 5 times and went as far as 130'. If my GPS in the plane does this, it will be bad.
Why is that so bad? VFR flying, I'm fine with that accuracy. Enroute IFR, those numbers are more accurate than VOR or NDB. As I mentioned earlier, a signal bouncing around could move your position that far and that's less likely in the plane. An IFR approach- you want accuracy, but there's WAAS to improve the GPS accuracy.

The 5g rollout hasn't been an issue for Canadian aviation, because the mobile carriers and aviation orgs/regulators got together at the start and made sure there wouldn't be any towers near critical approaches. End of story.

Once again, we proved ourselves the world's most-boring country, opting for cooperation (and even bureaucracy) over conflict.

Back