First time hot tent camping out of the Maule

OMG! I thought you were wearing a parachute, but it turned out to be your hood cover.

Awesome video! Thanks for sharing. I’m impressed all of that fit in your Maule! Did you consider a cargo net (like over the top) to hold it all in place in case of a sudden movement etc.? Maybe I’m overthinking it.

ETA: are you based at 06C? I’ve never noticed that before.

Nice!

you still need to get a recumbent bike in there…and it should be easier for you, because my Maule didn’t have the big cargo door. ;)

Did you consider a cargo net (like over the top) to hold it all in place in case of a sudden movement etc.?
My Maule had a trim lever next to the flap handle instead of a trim wheel…I was flying in some bumpy air once, and my flight bag jumped off the seat next to me and landed on the trim lever. :eek:
Fortunately, when the nose pitched down hard, the flight bag jumped back up onto the seat, so I could get at the trim lever. :D

I didn't know hot camping was a thing! I like it.

Unless there's 24" of snow on the ground, it doesn't count. :D

Did you consider a cargo net (like over the top) to hold it all in place in case of a sudden movement etc.?

ETA: are you based at 06C? I’ve never noticed that before.

Never had a problem that a cargo net would solve in 12 years of flying. But maybe I should take things more seriously.

06C is one of my bases, yeah.

That hill at the end of the grass strip looked interesting. How was going down it to leave?

Fun!

Unless there's 24" of snow on the ground, it doesn't count. :D

Agreed!

I thought @rwellner98 wintered in Mexico. Seemed sensible to me.

Yeah, I have lived in Mexico for 12 years and come back to the US for a couple months each summer. This year I have reasons to be in the US in winter. There is good and bad in it. :)

God that made me hungry.

That's the goal!

I’ve learned long ago not to watch any of Rich’s videos on an empty stomach :) .

I'm going to try and find some frozen lakes to land on this weekend and make some lasagna for a picnic lunch. :)

Never had a problem that a cargo net would solve in 12 years of flying. But maybe I should take things more seriously.
FWIW dept.

Used to work in the auto industry and it was pretty typical to be driving around in a test vehicle with lots of test equipment inside just sitting unrestrained. Then a guy just out of college managed to go off the road in the snow on a cold weather trip and got killed by flying test equipment....

Doesn't happen often, but it can.

FWIW dept.

Used to work in the auto industry and it was pretty typical to be driving around in a test vehicle with lots of test equipment inside just sitting unrestrained. Then a guy just out of college managed to go off the road in the snow on a cold weather trip and got killed by flying test equipment....

Doesn't happen often, but it can.
IIRC there was an incident at Oshkosh years ago where an airplane flipped over while taxiing. A toolbox in the back flew forward and killed the pilot.

IIRC there was an incident at Oshkosh years ago where an airplane flipped over while taxiing. A toolbox in the back flew forward and killed the pilot.

Oshkosh, or Ken Brock at his place out West?

Never had a problem that a cargo net would solve in 12 years of flying...

The cargo net would be so all that stuff doesn't end up on the back of your head if the plane ever nosed over on a bad or forced landing and well, that's not something that happens every 12 years. It's something you'd hope never happens but if it did you'd be better off if things back there stayed back there. I use the tie-down straps

I have an hour or two flying in Alaska. On cargo only flights I would attach the net on approved attachment points on the floor to the same points attached on the ceiling right behind the front seats. I wanted to keep the cargo from getting to me in the event of a unintentional off airport landing, or unexpected turbulence.

The cargo net would be so all that stuff doesn't end up on the back of your head if the plane ever nosed over on a bad or forced landing and well, that's not something that happens every 12 years. It's something you'd hope never happens but if it did you'd be better off if things back there stayed back there. I use the tie-down straps

Yeah, entirely fair point...

@rwellner98 is that a working farm you fly out of in your videos in the summer, or just property / acreage?

Is it really only 800 feet long?

wow! So cool. Do your neighbors even notice that you are hangar going/flying your plane out of there?

My first thought was "hot-tent" camping was something like "hot-racking" aboard a boat. Always half the crew on watch. So, the oncoming watch cleans up and the off going watch sacks out in the bunks just vacated.

@rwellner98 is that a working farm you fly out of in your videos in the summer, or just property / acreage?

It's a working farm, though I have a tenant farmer. We don't have nearly enough land to do it as a stand alone operation. The deal we worked out is that I give him a discount on rent in exchange for using my runway as a hay field instead of a hay/bean/corn rotation as is typical here. The bulk of the rest of the land is pasture that can't be tilled, but is grows plenty of forage for the cattle.

Is it really only 800 feet long?

It's 800ft straight line, but is sloped uphill and is *much* longer if you can follow the dogleg. With my maule 800ft is plenty and I'm adding power to taxi well before the dogleg.

wow! So cool. Do your neighbors even notice that you are hangar going/flying your plane out of there?

I've given neighbors rides and hired one of the kids to help wax the plane to make sure everyone feels the love. So far, so good.

My first thought was "hot-tent" camping was something like "hot-racking" aboard a boat. Always half the crew on watch. So, the oncoming watch cleans up and the off going watch sacks out in the bunks just vacated.

Never heard that term!

Back