Air Fryer

Zeldman

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Billy
My wifes birthday is next month and she has indicated she wants an air fryer. To me they look like the old toaster ovens. Anyone have experience with the air fryers? What should I look/look out for in one.??

My wife got a Ninja Foodie, which is a combo air fryer and pressure cooker. We have used it quite a bit. It does a really good job on some things and is great at reheating soggy fries that have gotten cold on the way home. Really brings them right back to life. They basically are tiny convection ovens and are certainly useful if you have the space for them.

I also had a case involving a fire in an apartment complex that involved an air fryer. I represented the manufacturer. Let's just say that you really should not put an air fryer on your stove top and then turn the burner on.

They are a convection oven. I love mine, but it's too small. Get a big one. I can cook 5 wings at a time, need the ability to cook 10. About to get a bigger one. Look at the Ninja brand.

We got one as a gift, maybe last fall?

It’s a Ninja. Basically, as someone said, a small counter top convection oven.

It is pretty small, so it’s good for one or two people. Any more than that and you have to cook in batches or use the oven.

Pretty easy cleanup. There are lots of recipe ideas out there. You’ll need to figure out how yours cooks. Ours seems to be on the hot side and things get done faster than expected.

Just got one a few weeks ago and greatest kitchen gadget ever IMO! Love the ability to just toss in frozen foods and not have to defrost and preheat an oven.

There are the single basket air fryers, air fryer/pressure cooker combos, and air fryer/toaster oven style which is what i ultimately went with.

Go big...started with a small basket style and before I even open the box was at a friend's house who just upgraded to the unit linked below and gave their smaller one to the kid for his college dorm room. They have a family of 4 and said they hardy use their regular oven any more...I sent mine back and ordered this one and glad I did. As opposed to one single basket layer typical in most units this one comes with three racks and you can add more if needed.

Two favs I have been making are breakfast potatoes/hash browns and beef jerky. Fresh string beans and roasted asparagus have also been amazing to make.

There are a bazillion Youtube videos on Air Fryers and cooking tips.

This one linked below is also typically available at places like Bed Bath Beyond and Target as well.

https://www.amazon.com/PowerXL-Vortex-Fryer-Digital-Black/dp/B08KXTDBQC/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2QP2Y08QVO0SW&keywords=power+xl+air+fryer&qid=1642538917&sprefix=power+xl+air+fryer,aps,196&sr=8-5

Last edited:
I also had a case involving a fire in an apartment complex that involved an air fryer. I represented the manufacturer. Let's just say that you really should not put an air fryer on your stove top and then turn the burner on.

Better add that to the 15 pages of warnings in the front of the manual.

I think I heard of that story somewhere.

My daughter pushed us to get her one for her birthday so we did. And My wife and I mercilessly mocked her for almost a day. Starting Day 2, we can't live without one, the only remaining argument is if it's the greatest invention ever, or if the rice cooker still reigns.

I have the Instant Vortex air fryer and it gets almost constant use in our house. It holds about double the amount of stuff that typical air fryers do, so I can make a round of chicken nuggets and tots at the same time.

Speaking of nuggets, my favorite recipe is to cut up a pound of raw chicken tenderloin slices into "nuggets," marinate them in pickle juice for 30 minutes to an hour, drain juice & pat nuggets dry, then place in a ziploc bag with a small scoop of light mayo. Toss/squeeze them around in that to coat, then add a packet of EXTRA CRISPY (this is important) Shake N Bake to the bag and toss again. Place nuggets in air fryer for 12 minutes @ 350 degrees and you have yourself a nice treat. I usually make about 2 lbs a week (which is about the weight of a single package of raw tenderloins).

There seems to be 3 types:
1. Drawer style
2. Trash can style
3. Oven style

For the OP, which one are you planning to get? For all of the respondents, which one do you have?

I've heard the drawer style is best.

Yeeks.!! (mental note: do not put on oven)

Get a big one.

Good advice.

Don't go too small.

Understood.

Pretty easy cleanup.

That is what I am looking for.!!

I think I am seeing a pattern here..:yesnod:

the rice cooker still reigns.

With an Asian wife I think this will be true. We, I mean my wife, has 3 rice cookers.

Speaking of nuggets, my favorite recipe is to cut up a pound of raw chicken tenderloin slices into "nuggets," marinate them in pickle juice for 30 minutes to an hour, drain juice & pat nuggets dry, then place in a ziploc bag with a small scoop of light mayo. Toss/squeeze them around in that to coat, then add a packet of EXTRA CRISPY (this is important) Shake N Bake to the bag and toss again. Place nuggets in air fryer for 12 minutes @ 350 degrees and you have yourself a nice treat. I usually make about 2 lbs a week (which is about the weight of a single package of raw tenderloins).

Sounds simple and good.!!

For the OP, which one are you planning to get?

That is why I am here, to get suggestions.!! :yesnod: But since her dehydrator is oven style with shelves that can be moved or removed, I am leaning towards that.

Thanks to everyone. Now I have to decide which one she will like.

since her dehydrator is oven style with shelves that can be moved or removed, I am leaning towards that.
Don't have first hand experience, but I've heard it's the worst of the 3 styles. I'd love to hear from others that have, though.

+1. My wife loves hers. Best thing since the Keurig. Way better than the unopot or whatever it was callled..

since her dehydrator is oven style with shelves that can be moved or removed, I am leaning towards that.
I just remembered where I'd heard all this air-fryer stuff: The latest (Jan/Feb 2022) issue of Cooks Illustrated magazine had a couple articles on air fryers. They recommended the Instant Vortex Plus (6-quart), BTW.

I have a Ninja Airfryer that my son gave me for Father’s Day last year. Now that the kids are grown and out of the house, it is perfect for throwing together a good meal for my wife and I. I really like mine and use it on a regular basis. I find that I have to adjust the cooking times a little compared to the table in the owners manual, but other than that it has been nice.

You will definitely become a big time veggie eater if you're not already. I've always hated cooked veggies and would basically only eat green beans and corn. Once we got our air fryer, I now regularly eat bacon wrapped asparagus, cauliflower dipped in buffalo wing sauce, broccoli dipped in ranch dressing, mushrooms dipped in blue cheese dressing, brussel sprouts dipped in malt vinegar, artichoke hearts dipped in a chipotle dressing, and a few other concoctions we found on the internet.

I got my S.O. this air fryer for her birthday a couple years ago. Like everybody said. Get a big one. ;)

Only curious, but it’s fan forced hot air - what’s different about a air fryer?

An air fryer is essentially a big heating element and a big fan. The various reviews generally find the round ones work best. I'm happy with my GoWise. It's not the end all of cooking apparatus but works good for certain things.

My Korean wife went nuts (normal for her) and bought everybody an air fryer for Christmas, whether they already had one or not!

Mt daughter now has two; a small oven type one and a huge (10 Quart) "Garbage Can" style one. They both serve a unique purpose and am not allowed to mention the frivolity or price of them.

The bottom line is they cook well and quickly and prevent the usual inadvertent house fires.

Last edited:
Only curious, but it’s fan forced hot air - what’s different about a air fryer?

They are basically just mini convection ovens that move a lot of air around quickly but their form factor makes them really efficient for cooking food without getting all soggy like in the microwave or drying the outside and undercooking the inside like a regular oven.

They also get up to temp almost instantly and are really easy to clean up after without heating up the whole kitchen with a full oven.

They are not for everything but they do a LOT of of different foods really well.

We have the big instant vortex. Love it. Have used it for all manner of fried foods as well as making beef jerky. It does rotisserie as well, but I haven't found an excuse to use that.

You will definitely become a big time veggie eater if you're not already...I now regularly eat bacon wrapped asparagus, cauliflower dipped in buffalo wing sauce, broccoli dipped in ranch dressing, mushrooms dipped in blue cheese dressing, brussel sprouts dipped in malt vinegar, artichoke hearts dipped in a chipotle dressing,

More veggies, yes, but I'm not sure if this counts as a win in the 'eating healthy' department. :)

We have one, it won't quite give you the results of a traditional oil fryer. However, you can still pull off a lot without dealing with all that mess. It's pretty good for smaller frozen foods that you want crispy- fries, fish sticks, popcorn shrimp, various sorts of poppers, etc. We've also done wings in it which turn out pretty good, but again not as good as a real oil fryer.

We’ve got the 6-quart Instant Pot with the air fryer lid. In addition to “just” air frying stuff, it’s great for pressure cooking a chicken and then browning it with the air fryer, all in one pot.

We got one, drawer type. It works for lots of things and we use it quite regularly. Not as good as a deep fryer but it can make things rally crispy with just a bit of oil.

So someone tell it to me straight - is an air fryer basically a fancy convection toaster oven? Because I already have one of those.

More veggies, yes, but I'm not sure if this counts as a win in the 'eating healthy' department. :)
The eating healthy part is using olive/garlic oil to lightly coat the veggies before you fry them, and the sparingly use of low fat/low carb dressings to dip the veggies in. ;)

So someone tell it to me straight - is an air fryer basically a fancy convection toaster oven? Because I already have one of those.

Essentially yes in what it does but not how it does it. Because of the much smaller form factor it focuses the heat more directly onto the food cooking quicker and more efficiently than a traditional convection oven.

Game changer. We have one. I use it in some capacity every other dinner I make. Probably more often. It will do simple things like fries... or a pork tenderloin (so good... try it). Best tots I have ever had came out of the air fryer.

Ours is made by the same people that make the instant-pot... it's the largest one they make. Don't skimp - get a big one.

Oh, onion rings.... do onion rings... so good in the air fryer....

So hungry now....

We got the Gourmia brand and love it. It’s amazing how much we use it instead of turning on the oven.

I didn’t read all the responses, but I will say I think air fryers suck. My old lady go one and the food always tastes plastic-ie to me and definitely not as good as something actually fried. In fact, I’m to the point when it comes out, I don’t want what is being cooked in it. I dislike the taste that much. It’s a Ninja model so I’m told. Well, that ninja does even know how to do a judie chop or a ninjee chop at all. Blah…. I’d **** can it, but that would be a declaration of war in this house.

But some wars are worth fighting…… I’ll be right back. Tomorrow is trash day.

I need to metal detect for rent money….

She knows I hate it. It comes out when I’m not eating or I’m not home.

So.... how did this work out fer ya'..?? :lol:

So in my many seconds of in depth searching, I found this:

https://shop.brava.com/

Anyone have any experience with the Brava oven.??

Our toaster oven finally gave up after more than 20 years of service, so we ended up with this:

https://www.kitchenaid.com/countert...countertop-oven-w-no-flip-baske.kco124bm.html

As others have said, air fryers are basically just convection ovens. The model above *is* a convection oven which happens to have an “air fry” feature that seems to spin the convection fan faster than standard convection mode. It probably isn’t as good at air frying as a dedicated air fryer, but we use it for pizzas, pies, toast, and lots of other things as an alternative to the larger oven.

But she wants to get a bigger one as well. As if we have either the cabinet or counter space. :D

Looks at the Power XL 10qt Vortex I linked above...comes with 3 racks and can fit 5 taking up not much more counter space than a typical single basket air fryer.

Back