Cessna 172 Garmin Upgrade. GEA 24 EIS or JPI 900

mamkeci

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
mamkeci
So have been racking my brain over a Garmin upgrade and there are so many possible configs. Its big $$$ so thought I'd reach out for some additional comments and recommendations beyond the bias of the Garmin dealer.

So far looking at G3X, GTN650, GNC255, GTX345, GI275, GFC500. Not sure if I should go with JPI 900 with a G3X or go with the 10" G3X with EIS or dual 7" with EIS on one.

Have been paging through the forum but so far seems like the only reason people are keeping the JPI with a G3X upgrade is if its existing equipment. This install is going to be a complete blank slate. I honestly haven't used either one yet so not sure. The reason for leaning towards the JPI is that its a separate system. It worries me a little having everything on a single display because if it fails you lose everything.

Thank you for any input!

So have been racking my brain over a Garmin upgrade and there are so many possible configs. Its big $$$ so thought I'd reach out for some additional comments and recommendations beyond the bias of the Garmin dealer.

So far looking at G3X, GTN650, GNC255, GTX345, GI275, GFC500. Not sure if I should go with JPI 900 with a G3X or go with the 10" G3X with EIS or dual 7" with EIS on one.

Have been paging through the forum but so far seems like the only reason people are keeping the JPI with a G3X upgrade is if its existing equipment. This install is going to be a complete blank slate. I honestly haven't used either one yet so not sure. The reason for leaning towards the JPI is that its a separate system. It worries me a little having everything on a single display because if it fails you lose everything.

Thank you for any input!
Do you really need a engine monitor for a 172?

I am almost embarrassed to say I have $58K in 2018 dollars in my panel of my 172. I have flown it 800 hrs so far the panel and it has been great. I have flown the plane for almost 1100 hrs without a engine monitor.
I think 58K is crazy to put in a 172 but I did it in 3 stages. Now that the value of a 172 has gone up so much it not as painful but still crazy IMO. Personally I don't need or want or could afford a engine monitor for my 172. There is my unpopular input. Good luck with your panel upgrade.
IMG_0328.JPG

if you are doing a garmin panel, it makes sense to do garmin EIS. the info will flow together nicely and to your garmin pilot as well. JPI is great, but you will have to get the data dump via USB

Do you really need a engine monitor for a 172?

I am almost embarrassed to say I have $58K in 2018 dollars in my panel of my 172. I have flown it 800 hrs so far the panel and it has been great. I have flown the plane for almost 1100 hrs without a engine monitor.
I think 58K is crazy to put in a 172 but I did it in 3 stages. Now that the value of a 172 has gone up so much it not as painful but still crazy IMO. Personally I don't need or want or could afford a engine monitor for my 172. There is my unpopular input. Good luck with your panel upgrade.

I agree its not NEEDED, however if those old stewart warner gauges tell you something is wrong... its likely way too late :)

In the grand scheme of things the engine monitor is far from the bulk of the cost and as much as this project is going to cost I want to do it right the first time. I could go with the G3X w/EIS and save 1-2k over having the separate JPI900 but then I'm back to PFD and EIS all on a single display/point of failure. Another option would be to spend a little more and get a G3X 10.6" w/ 7" combo. EIS on the 7" plus have the versatility of more screen space for other things. Decisions...

Thanks for the input!!

I'm upgrading my '78 182 and going full Garmin everything (G500 PFD, GI275 standby, EIS...). For me, the fact that I'm replacing everything and the integration you get going with a single manufacturer makes it an easy decision. I'm leaving the analog tach and MAP gauge as a backup in case of a PFD failure. Maybe one day I'll replace one of them with another GI275.

My thinking is, if the PFD fails it's time to get on the ground. (I also think the mostly likely cause of a PFD failure is going to be an electrical system issue.)

I'm upgrading my '78 182 and going full Garmin everything (G500 PFD, GI275 standby, EIS...). For me, the fact that I'm replacing everything and the integration you get going with a single manufacturer makes it an easy decision. I'm leaving the analog tach and MAP gauge as a backup in case of a PFD failure. Maybe one day I'll replace one of them with another GI275.

My thinking is, if the PFD fails it's time to get on the ground. (I also think the mostly likely cause of a PFD failure is going to be an electrical system issue.)

Can I ask why you decided on the G500 over the G3X?

It's newer overall, faster processor, TSO'd, I like the HSI map feature it has. I also prefer the GI275 over the G5, and the feeling I get is that it's meant to be paired with the G500.

I work in tech and being the newer product was probably the biggest plus for me. The avionics shop gave me a quote for both PFDs and he was pretty clear that he thought both of them were great values, and I'd be happy either way. I figured I bought this plane with the intention of keeping it forever and I specifically looked for one with outdated avionics that I could upgrade to exactly what I wanted. So this is a big upgrade and the G500 was "only" another $6500. Seemed worth it.

My thinking is, if the PFD fails it's time to get on the ground.

I agree with this. If the "single point of failure" worry is that your PFD is failed and then while you're carrying out your diversion, you miss the fact that you've lost oil pressure, that seems like a lot to be planning for...

If you lose your PFD, I don’t think you’re really going to worry about getting the engine out if its operating envelope enough to worry about it. If that’s your real worry still, go Garmin EIS and keep your existing gauges.

Back