Daily Pic

This is the USS Sachem, tucked away in this creek off the Ohio River since 1987. It is a skeleton of what it once was.
Tight air space under the bravo and above the wires.

IMG_1311.JPG

Nice pictures but it would be more interesting if you told us what state and area your taken pictures of.

Good point! I had too much going on when I threw these up there. Edited my post with the location. :D

Nice pictures but it would be more interesting if you told us what state and area your taken pictures of.
I like that policy for this thread

Mine for reference was just east of Oceanside airport, OKB, headed towards southwest-ish

Glamis, CA. and the Yuma desert on New years day. More than 100,000 people show up during the holidays out here.

Attachments

• PXL_20211231_224624595.jpg
    PXL_20211231_224624595.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 58
  • PXL_20211231_224909389.jpg
    PXL_20211231_224909389.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 57
  • PXL_20211231_231842702.jpg
    PXL_20211231_231842702.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 55
Those are beautiful shots... You don't get bounced around that close to that crazy mountain? Maybe I'm just a big baby, but I give more clearance than that to the ridges in the Berkshires.

Those are beautiful shots... You don't get bounced around that close to that crazy mountain? Maybe I'm just a big baby, but I give more clearance than that to the ridges in the Berkshires.

It depends on the winds for sure. I’ll generally stay higher or avoid altogether if the summit forecast has winds at 30 knots or more. But today was one of those exceptionally good days. Winds aloft at 6500/7500 where I was flying had a very consistent 15knot wind, according to my G5. Slight updraft on the windward side, but I didn’t detect any down draft on the leeward side. Very smooth with no bumps at all in this area.

Weather observation on the top of Mt Washington (https://w1.weather.gov/obhistory/KMWN.html) showed slightly higher wind speed, but it looks like I hit the sweet spot being there around 14:45 today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did an overnight to French Lick, IN, KFRH. Very nice airport. Filled up on $4.50 avgas. They found me a t-hangar overnight as there was snow & ice forecast, which of course didn't materialize. The hotel picked us up and dropped us off.
Went ifr but were able to get a visual approach
IMG_20220119_100903247.jpg

The atrium was the largest free- standing dome until the astrodome was built. It's pretty impressive.
20220119_114252.jpg
20220120_114918(0).jpg

Paoli, IN is only 8.6nm away, so we had to go see the runway extension there.
20220120_115801.jpg

Last edited:
We did an overnight to French Lick, IN, KFRH. Very nice airport. Filled up on $4.50 avgas. They found me a t-hangar overnight as there was snow & ice forecast, which of course didn't materialize. The hotel picked us up and dropped us off.
Went ifr but were able to get a visual approach
View attachment 103904

The atrium was the largest free- standing dome until the astrodome was built. It's pretty impressive.
View attachment 103905
View attachment 103906

Paolo, IN is only 8.6nm away, so we had to go see the runway extension there.
View attachment 103907

Nice pictures!
We go to Paoli once in a while for their cheap 4.00 gal fuel. The fuel attendant called the extension their "aircraft carrier".

This past Friday after work my buddy and I flew our planes to Zaneville Ohio ZZV just for fun.
We had planned to leave at 3:30 pm but his plane would not start. It has been cold, real cold around here. All water is frozen in my hangar. His plane has sat for 3 weeks since he fly's for SW and does check rides for them in Dallas. When he comes home we fly as many places as we can together.
He plugged his plane back in and we waited about a 1/2 hour and it started. It was pretty cold up in the air, like 10°f, burr!!

Zanesville covered in snow, we don't have any snow back home.
IMG_1380.JPG

IMG_1382.JPG

So after flying into a mild direct head wind for 1.5 hrs we get to ZZV right at 5:59 PM and the whole place was closed up. No one around. Can't go inside to warm up. FOB hrs on the door said 7-6 pm on Fri. Must have left a little early.
We blew it by getting a late start. It was real cold there(went down to -6°f that night) and no self serve fuel that we could find in the large snow piles in the dark. That was nerve wracking for me since I had planned to get fuel there. No FBO no fuel truck drivers. It was so cold outside I didn't take any pictures outside, we both could only take refuge in our planes.

We flew back to Lancaster Ohio and got I fuel which was on our way back and I had enough. What a winter flight.
I landed at ZZV right at dark, it was all night going back at 6500 with FF. Another couple pins in my Ohio chart back in my hangar. Planned to land at at least one other but the fuel changed that.
This trip was my buddies idea, he wanted to go farther away to either Baltimore or Huntsville. I said no to those because I had to work early the next day. He get's me into all kinds of adventures, I got watch him though! lol
IMG_1383.JPG

Last edited:
Back