the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

I had a CFII on an IPC tell me that was the only legal way to do it. That you couldn't load the Approach to identify the Fixes. I tried to explain otherwise. He explained why I was wrong. I just let it go and did it his way.

kind of like a DPE telling me (during the checkride) the proper unusual attitude technique is to pull the nose to horizon (pull back on the yoke) at the same time you level the wings. I tried to push back but then just agreed with him.... the DPE is ALWAYS right... and no, he wasn't doing it to test my knowledge, he really believed it.

Edit: and I certainly talked to my CFII about that after the checkride.

Today CFII for upcoming practical test had me fly VOR approach using the GTN only for DME function. I flew everything by the VOR, no approach loaded in the GTN, no GPS magenta to follow. No GPS? No GTN or other nav computer? Didn't know that was even legal. But ... felt good to go Amish.
This is funny.

I actually check that section everyday for my area. I found it about 1-2 years ago or so. Found a decent deal on a radio and something else a while back. There was an Aztec for $50000 on there a couple weeks ago near Tallahassee that caught my eye to dream about…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/avo/d/batavia-sky-ranger/7429012648.html

Not mine fyi, but we usually will have a plane pop up on there pretty regularly around here.

anyone else surprised that there's a dedicated aviation for sale section on craigslist?
This got me curious, not surprised there is very little activity for my area but this caught my eye.

Airplane pilot wanted:
Private-pilot-licensed (or better) check pilot wanted to accompany Cmmcl/Inst-ASMEL, out-of-medical pilot/owner on local and occasional cross country flights. Check pilot must pay for automobile, 87 octaine gasoline at 9.5 gal/hr. Plane is a 2-place 1969 Grumman American AA-1 Yankee with 150 hp O-320 Lycoming engine. Plane cruises at 140 mile/hr. This is an excellent opportunity to log PIC hours for advanced certifications. Plane may be available for other check-pilot's on-demand flights...
I might wonder about legality if I could actually understand what he was asking for. So he's out of medical but still wants to fly around in his plane, so he's giving someone the opportunity to pay for all the gas and take him flying? Maybe it's not as odd as I thought at first glance.

Idiot drivers that are in a right lane and want to make a left turn. In Plano, TX was going north in one of the correct lanes to exit right off the North Dallas Tollway to go north on 121. This guy, Black Nisson with bird **** all over it, in the right lane wants to exit left to go south on 121. Forces me to go south on 121 to not hit him. So, because HE made a mistake, I end up going the wrong way to avoid an accident! This is all because HE did not want to be inconvenienced and almost caused an accident and would not give right away!

If you make a mistake suck it up buttercup and deal with it!

Rant off.

Seem to be a lot of people choosing the "Go straight on red if there is no cross traffic" option lately.

Idiot drivers are nuts. I was out grocery shopping the other day, and saw a guy almost get hit by a semi twice. He was waiting at a red light, but instead of being parked behind the white stop line (which is recessed very far back from the actual intersection), he was parked right up at the light. The reason the stop line was so far back is because of semis turning right from the cross street need all the extra space. A semi comes around the corner and slams on its brakes because the car is in the way. The car backs up to the proper place for him to be waiting. The semi drives through. And the idiot driver pulls back up to the intersection! As he is doing so, another semi comes around the corner and almost hits him because he's in the wrong spot. And then the guy in the car proceeded to not move out of the semi's way until the semi driver honks at him three times. o_O I just don't understand why the guy in the car pulled back up to the light after having it proved to him in living color exactly why the stop line was so far back.

Idiot drivers are nuts. I was out grocery shopping the other day, and saw a guy almost get hit by a semi twice. He was waiting at a red light, but instead of being parked behind the white stop line (which is recessed very far back from the actual intersection), he was parked right up at the light. The reason the stop line was so far back is because of semis turning right from the cross street need all the extra space. A semi comes around the corner and slams on its brakes because the car is in the way. The car backs up to the proper place for him to be waiting. The semi drives through. And the idiot driver pulls back up to the intersection! As he is doing so, another semi comes around the corner and almost hits him because he's in the wrong spot. And then the guy in the car proceeded to not move out of the semi's way until the semi driver honks at him three times. o_O I just don't understand why the guy in the car pulled back up to the light after having it proved to him in living color exactly why the stop line was so far back.

I love it when these idjits pull way past the stop line, and then don't get the green turn arrow because their car is too far past the sensor to trip the light. Some people are just dumb as a stump!

Seem to be a lot of people choosing the "Go straight on red if there is no cross traffic" option lately.
You live in Atlanta? Nicest people, worse drivers in the US. I would gladly support re instating mandatory High School drivers ed. When stopped at an intersection and light goes green, you never pull forward until the other people finish running their red lights. I guess that would just be impolite......

I love it when these idjits pull way past the stop line, and then don't get the green turn arrow because their car is too far past the sensor to trip the light. Some people are just dumb as a stump!

sometimes you have to pull forward more than you'd think... I just "love" the idjits that design and implement traffic lights (e.g., lights that are 100 feet apart on the main road and are never both green at the same time)

I got into my car one day last week after work to drive home. For 1/2 a second I was reaching to the screen on the dash to enter a direct to home command to let me then bring up an approach plate.

Somewhere in the Philippines, a dude is carving a block of wood into the shape of a Lance.

ok, I confess to not understand the reference...

ok, I confess to not understand the reference...
No reference...I commissioned a model of my plane. All these things are made in the Philippines. So literally, there's a guy on the other side of the world whittling a 1/24 scale lance.

understood - thanks

I kissed a Cessna for the first (and hopefully last) time today.

It tasted terrible.
Judging by the pictures I see around here, Comanches seem to be better in that regard.

When stopped at an intersection and light goes green, you never pull forward until the other people finish running their red lights. I guess that would just be impolite......

I thought I was supposed to continue texting when the light turns green and wait for the "go" sound of the guy behind me laying on the horn. At least that's the way we do it in Carolina! :happydance:

I thought I was supposed to continue texting when the light turns green and wait for the "go" sound of the guy behind me laying on the horn. At least that's the way we do it in Carolina! :happydance:
Every place has its own flavor of bad drivers. Living in oil country, I get to experience all of y'all's worst driving techniques every day of my life. It was worse early in the boom, about 10 years ago, when I arbitrarily guess that 10% of all drivers in the country had lost their jobs. Nobody laid off their top-10% drivers, so we got the 10% worst. I prosecuted many people who were driving semi trucks (a) stoned, (b) drunk, (c) with suspended licenses, (d) with no commercial licenses at all, (e) with brakes they had stolen off other unsuspecting trucks in hotel parking lots, and (f) all of the above. My favorite excuse was "I can't have a moving violation, I'm a professional driver!" Yeah, and I'm a professional lawyer, so I can't have a fraud charge on my record. Guess how I handle that professional limitation.

I wanted to write a book, How to Tell if it's Your Turn to Go at the Four Way Stop. Chapter 1: Have you stopped yet? If not, then it's not your turn! But, of course, I realized that the people who needed it the most were least likely to read it, given that the longest thing they had ever read was in fact a STOP sign, which they found to be both too long and allegorical to understand. So, instead of letting the material just go to waste, I've adapted my notes into a stand-up comedy routine for open mic nights.

Every place has its own flavor of bad drivers. Living in oil country, I get to experience all of y'all's worst driving techniques every day of my life. It was worse early in the boom, about 10 years ago, when I arbitrarily guess that 10% of all drivers in the country had lost their jobs. Nobody laid off their top-10% drivers, so we got the 10% worst. I prosecuted many people who were driving semi trucks (a) stoned, (b) drunk, (c) with suspended licenses, (d) with no commercial licenses at all, (e) with brakes they had stolen off other unsuspecting trucks in hotel parking lots, and (f) all of the above. My favorite excuse was "I can't have a moving violation, I'm a professional driver!" Yeah, and I'm a professional lawyer, so I can't have a fraud charge on my record. Guess how I handle that professional limitation.

I wanted to write a book, How to Tell if it's Your Turn to Go at the Four Way Stop. Chapter 1: Have you stopped yet? If not, then it's not your turn! But, of course, I realized that the people who needed it the most were least likely to read it, given that the longest thing they had ever read was in fact a STOP sign, which they found to be both too long and allegorical to understand. So, instead of letting the material just go to waste, I've adapted my notes into a stand-up comedy routine for open mic nights.

will your book include the rule: the wreck has the right of way

How to Tell if it's Your Turn to Go at the Four Way Stop. Chapter 1:

Around here traffic lights and signs are just mere suggestions. I swear it is getting safer to stop at green lights. Driving 25mph over the speed limit.?? Keep an eye in the rear view so you don't get hit from behind...

Do we have a master thread to discuss go/no-go?

Similar to this thread, so not a thread devoted to your specific trip, but where student pilots or others can post “here was the mission, here were the details, I didn’t go . . . What would you have done?”

Sort of an ongoing analysis of trips etc in one place?

Do we have a master thread to discuss go/no-go?

Similar to this thread, so not a thread devoted to your specific trip, but where student pilots or others can post “here was the mission, here were the details, I didn’t go . . . What would you have done?”

Sort of an ongoing analysis of trips etc in one place?
It’s -15c and I have a lesson in an hour… go/no-go?

more details: have coat and gloves, but I don’t like being cold

I sense y’all are . . . Making fun of me.

First night flight in maybe 12-years, but only free time to go. Just dropped my daughter at softball and wanted to fit in some to/lndgs before having to pick her up in 2-hours to stay current in the flight schools computer.

08/26 runway. Winds 19015g25. Severe clear. Note of WS at 2000 winds 26055

Winds aloft at 3 and 6 were around the same 50-60.

I took a pass, but now sit on the ground at least a week more. Second guessing. This was Tuesday night so it was warm out with a cold front coming through our area @kaiser

I was nervous. No GA planes up on FF either. Sigmet for turb too.

Last edited:

First night flight in maybe 12-years, but only free time to go. Just dropped my daughter at softball and wanted to fit in some to/lndgs before having to pick her up in 2-hours to stay current in the flight schools computer.

I took a pass, but now sit on the ground at least a week more. Second guessing. This was Tuesday night so it was warm out with a cold front coming through our area @kaiser

Pass

Not making fun - I was maybe only half serious in my original inquiry. I ended up going ahead this AM, but we omitted closed throttle operations (pwr off stalls, 180 landings, steep spirals, etc).

I like the idea of having a thread on go/no-go. Everyone’s minimums are different, but sometimes we need to hear ourselves say it out loud before we can really determine. With regards to those winds and my minimums, I’m probably not taking off in those winds. First thing I’d look at with that crosswind would be weight of aircraft and runway length. (I’d want to have a faster ground roll for better control authority and more weight for stability)

@Jim K What we’re winds when we landed KBPK? I that was totally my max haha.

@Terry M - 3CK (Chicago) I flew on Tuesday but out of KDPA and the south runways. I don’t recall the LLWS warning, but I definitely remember sheer at 1600 MSL and super bumpy below 2500 MSL. That was the day I hovered in slow flight at 3000.

@kaiser i was going to fly at 6. The WS advisory popped up with the sigmet just after 5.

I was concerned about the x wind, then add in darkness and turbulence and it seemed foolish.

Thanks all.
We were up 11-1pm and winds at 3k were low to mid-40s. Agree with nighttime rolling in.

Back