Cessna 182 Window Replacement

Lowflynjack

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jack Fleetwood
Anyone here ever change out your side windows? I've got a call into one of the dealers, waiting for a call back.

There are thin and thick windows. It looks like you order the thin window and a rubber u-channel, or a thick window and tape. Is the thick window better? Can you buy either, or do you need to replace it with what you already have?

I have to replace the bubble windows on my plane because they don't like to be opened in flight for my photos... flopped around like a fish out of water!

One site didn't answer me, but Knots2U answered immediately. The answer in case anyone else needs to know, is there is no difference, you can use either one. The thinner one is lighter of course. I went with the thin ones and I'll soon have some used tinted bubble windows for sale! They are great for visibility, just don't work for me.

One site didn't answer me, but Knots2U answered immediately.
Did you call Great Lakes Aero Products? I try to use them when ever possible.

FYI: on thin/thick windows. Usually on side windows there are no issues either way, but with windshields it can sometimes cause fit issues.

Last edited:
Did you call Great Lakes Aero Products? I try to use them when ever possible.

FYI: on thin/thick windows. Usually on side windows there are no issues either way, but with windshields it can sometimes cause fit issues.
I didn't but I think they're all getting them from the same place. They all have a 4-5 week lead time.

Would thicker mean less noise, or is that inconsequential?

Great Lakes manufacturers their own windows. They're not a 3rd party vendor which is why I prefer to use them.

Great Lakes is your Huckleberry. Fit out of the box is right on or very close. Suggest staying with standard thickness on the right and going to their thick option on the operable left window. usually thicker glass causes headaches for installation, however left left 182 window MUST have a spacer installed. The thicker window only requires vinyl tape around the edge and sets right in.

I blogged my window changed experience if interested: http://welch.com/n46pg/category/windows/

Great Lakes is your Huckleberry. Fit out of the box is right on or very close. Suggest staying with standard thickness on the right and going to their thick option on the operable left window. usually thicker glass causes headaches for installation, however left left 182 window MUST have a spacer installed. The thicker window only requires vinyl tape around the edge and sets right in.

I blogged my window changed experience if interested: http://welch.com/n46pg/category/windows/

I second Great Lakes. I replaced all the side windows on my 310 from Great Lakes last year. All of them required some sanding to get the perfect fit. The 310 also has the thin inner window with the U channel and the outer thicker window with vinyl tape.

Great company to work with. Yes they do require about 4 weeks lead time to manufacture the windows. Mine were delivered in about 2-3 weeks if I recall. They also gave me a pretty good military discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3rd, to Great Lakes. I just replaced all of my windows all around on my 182L
I used standard thickness on sides / rear and the thicker on the front.
Great Lakes fit perfectly, out of the box.

Do they come in tints? If so, what did you use? I guess for the side windows on a high wing there's not much point to tints.

Also, the window sealant on the side windows has deteriorated and looks bad. How best to replace it?

I have seen the thinner ones installed. There is a reason for the thicker ones.

Do they come in tints? If so, what did you use? I guess for the side windows on a high wing there's not much point to tints.

Also, the window sealant on the side windows has deteriorated and looks bad. How best to replace it?

This would be your best resource to have all of those questions answered by the professionals:

http://www.glapinc.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I went with Great Lakes. Thanks for all of the recommendations. After talking to them, I went with the thinner windows, which is what originally came on the planes. Both of my windows open. For photos, I remove the screw from the arm that holds the window open. The window will then float under the wing. There was some concern that the heavier window wouldn't work as well. We'll see!

Go to a plastics dealer and buy a sheet of acrylic. Cut your own. You’ll have templates when you remove the bubbles.

Go to a plastics dealer and buy a sheet of acrylic. Cut your own. You’ll have templates when you remove the bubbles.

Depending on the model and particular window, they are not all flat. While I've never seen one that didn't need at least a little trimming, it's nice to have them 'pre-curved'.

C.

Thanks for the recommendation on Great Lakes. I ended up ordering from them. Their website said 4-5 week LT. They shipped them about two days after I ordered them.

Now to get them installed!

Back