Hangar pics

Well, it's a little different for me! I tend to have access to a few more photos than most people!

The silver tarp in the back is covering a wing from my friends Hughes H1 Racer inspired plane. It'll leave soon.
My Craftsman cabinet started off covered in motorcycle stickers, but slowly aviation stickers are taking it over. About half and half now.
In the last picture, to the left of the TV are my newest signs, from 1962 & 1963, Phillips 66 and Skelly aviation fuel signs with the Jetsons on them!
Everyone should have a Fleetwood Aviation Oil sign! I think I have 3!
I've got to clean up a few cables... trying to get the HD TV antenna setup right so I could watch my Cowboys lose... more time to fly now!

51827258936_98b4b75cd9_b.jpg

51827986510_a795574835_b.jpg

51827986395_bb15eaea2d_b.jpg

Very nice, Jack!

BTW - Have you ever considered doing a series of hangar photos? You take fantastic airplane flight photos, and it might be cool if you extended that artistry to hangars, too.

I have quite a few books of airplane pics, but I've yet to see a book of hangar photos. Might make for an interesting niche.

Very nice, Jack!

BTW - Have you ever considered doing a series of hangar photos? You take fantastic airplane flight photos, and it might be cool if you extended that artistry to hangars, too.

I have quite a few books of airplane pics, but I've yet to see a book of hangar photos. Might make for an interesting niche.
Thank you. I haven't thought about it. I've seen some pretty nice hangars!

My plan is to stop working for the two magazines that take up most of my time after this year. It's been a great opportunity, but the deadlines make it stressful. This will free me up to do more interesting/unique planes. Maybe I can throw in a hangar or two!

Thank you. I haven't thought about it. I've seen some pretty nice hangars!

My plan is to stop working for the two magazines that take up most of my time after this year. It's been a great opportunity, but the deadlines make it stressful. This will free me up to do more interesting/unique planes. Maybe I can throw in a hangar or two!

Think of something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Gar...t=&hvlocphy=9061312&hvtargid=pla-569981997723

except for hangars instead of garages.

To me personally, though, some of the most interesting places aren't necessarily Taj Mahal hangars or garages. It's cool to see the over-cluttered shop with tools and parts crammed into every nook, and a sharp vehicle that's had hours and hours of loving care from a dedicated owner. An old fridge covered with stickers, a few beer bottles, and a sleeping hound just add to the ambience.

Thank you much :)
I really like the paint too, I haven’t posted too much yet about the plane yet. I just got it in the New Year and flew it in from Boston.
Congrats on the plane!

KUGN :D
Yes it’s an end unit that is pretty big, I’m still trying to figure out if I could fit two planes?
Nice! It’s nice to hear hangars aren’t impossible to acquire- though KUGN is 1 hour drive for me. Even KARR is 13 minutes closer.

Congrats on the plane!

Nice! It’s nice to hear hangars aren’t impossible to acquire- though KUGN is 1 hour drive for me. Even KARR is 13 minutes closer.
I thought you were peacing out to Illinois. :p

Move down here and you can fly the Lance.

I thought you were peacing out to Illinois. :p

Move down here and you can fly the Lance.
There was an opportunity to move to either NY or SF (among other places. It ended up being scheiß egal and I opted to pursue other opportunities. Right now good chance I’m staying put.

I appreciate the offer and opportunity - the downside is I will need to be in Chicago 3x a week / year round.

Congrats on the plane!

I really like KUGN, has what you need, they repaved 5-23 last year and it’s just a beaut to fly. Nice approaches albeit over the lake, long runways, great lights, great tower, what more can you ask for? Beacon can be hard to spot but that is a bit of a norm at night. (But I know there’s a lot of the oldies there who complain for reasons I do not understand *yet*, I’ve been there 2 years and I wouldn’t want to go anywhere else) Location from the city sucks but hey Chicago itself is not GA friendly, nothing we can do about that.

Hanger necessities out in the country:

Winter is mouse time, they come in from the cold and wet.

Mouse fences. Measure the length required for a piece of sheet metal around each wheel, and have them made at your nearest well equipped HVAC shop. They make a "slip fit" for one end, and you simply push the plain end into the slot. Height of 6 to 9 inches, according to space. Taildraggers may need to put a block under the tailwheel to get enough height. 6 inches seems as high as mice jump.

I first saw this around the wheels of a friends Barron in his hangar, and thought that fence was genius, compared to trying to catch every mouse that came into the hangar.

I agree winter is mouse season, hate mice!

My solution has always been Decon! I have had success with it in numerous locations. Has never found dead mice in walls or such even after looking for them. I keep no water out like for the dog since I understand they go looking for water after eating decon.

First I was in a different older hangar at my airport and I found evidence of mice, I fed them lots of decon and they seemed to disappear.

Then I moved across the way into a different set of hangars and so far no mice, been in there about 3 years now.
I keep 3 of these around the hangar and keep an eye on them. They have never been eaten on by mice so far. This one is 3 years old and no takers yet which is a good thing. The plastic case helps keep pets away. I always hide the decon under shelves or other areas where pets can't get to it when not using the plastic case.
IMG_1365.JPG

In my hangar starting from the big door and working around the room:

1. Couple of hooks with extension cords hanging on them.
2. Two rolling scaffolds (stacked up) that I originally was going to use to change the light bulbs with (17' ceiling) but decided they were too wobbly for me, so they're just playing shelving unit.
3. Four post Bendpak lift.
4 Electric/hydraulic man lift that can place the platform at 24' off the floor that isn't as wobbly which I do use for changing light bulbs, etc.
5. Sectional sofa (lives under the lift)
6. Rolling cart with a dozen folding chairs and a half dozen folding tables
7. Large stainless steel sink with gojo dispensor.
8. Big air compressor (in case the air gets too big in the hangar)
9. Small air compressor (when I need to make air smaller somewhere else).
10. Dust collector for the adjacent wood shop.
11. Portable air tank for moving smaller air around
12. Air hose reel
13. Power cord reel.
14. Assorted portable LED shop lights
15. Moving Cool "mobile" air conditioner
16. Small rolling toolbox that I roll up close to the plane when working
17. Larger toolbox with tools I don't use so often
18. Control panel for entertainment system.
19. Rolling cart with HD video projector
20. Theromstat for radiant floor heat.
21. Parts bins
22. Ring doorbell remote chime
23. Tall metal cabinet with extra airplane supplies in it
24. Electric leaf blower used to clean out hangar
25. Door to the rest of the house.
26. Two rolling workbenches with various tools,
27. Tall cabinet with various paints and stuff.
28. Tall cabinet with assorted hardware and stuff
29. Open rolling shelves with assorted power tools: SDS+ hammer drill, two cordless hammer drills, 2 cordless recip saw, 1 cordless right angle drill, 1 cordless snake light, cordless vacuum, cordless jigsaw, cordless rotozip-like thing, cordless detail sander, cordless finish nailer, cordless framing nailer, two cordless circular saws, one cordless track saw, various pneumatic tools, laser level, 4-ton porta power, fein detail sandler/saw, corded rotozip, corded recipe saw, etc...
30. Old railroad luggage cart with some donated live edge walnut boards on it
31. Door to storage area
32. Open shelves with random stuff on it (spare tires, extra door locks, portable military VASI, etc,.)
33. ELFA shelf standards holding mostly extra wood.
34. Boat trailer for the big boat
35. Small mechanics toolboxes left over from having multiple hangars
36. Little dingy rowboat and trailer
37. Cabinet with mostly beekeeping supplies
38. Trash and recycling cans
39. Assorted step and extension ladders and various poles and extensions, mops and brooms
40. Packing crate for my JET jointer-planer that is on casters and used for a temporary bar once a month.
41. Three aircraft jacks.
42. (overhead) 2 big-ass fans
43. Two halon-dry chemical combination automatic fire extinguishers.

That is a impressive list of equipment and even more awesome hangar/ garage you have. If I ever got to that point I will have died and went to heaven!!

I have been a mechanic, pro sportsman racer for 30+ years. I have more tools than average in my hangar. I tried not to bring too many tools to the hangar to keep it all aviation and not work or race. I have enough for my AP/IA to maintain this little cessna. Love my hangar.
IMG_67401.jpg

Magnaflux propeller bolts.
IMG_8531.JPG

Last edited:
Coincidentally, this showed up in the paper this morning...

Rodent poison cause of death for bald eagle found in Northville [Michigan]

A bald eagle found in a distressed state on a Northville Township bike path Nov. 20, 2021, died the same day from rodenticide poisoning, a Department of Natural Resources necropsy revealed.

“At some point the bird ingested a prey item that was likely poisoned by brodifacoum,” said Hannah Schauer, a communications and education coordinator for the DNR's Wildlife Division.

“Brodifacoum, which is a rodenticide, was found in the liver analysis of the bird. The gross examination findings showed the bird had pulmonary congestion and pulmonary edema as well as hemorrhages on the surface of the lungs and the heart, and congestion of the liver and the kidneys.”​

Coincidentally, this showed up in the paper this morning...

Rodent poison cause of death for bald eagle found in Northville [Michigan]

A bald eagle found in a distressed state on a Northville Township bike path Nov. 20, 2021, died the same day from rodenticide poisoning, a Department of Natural Resources necropsy revealed.

“At some point the bird ingested a prey item that was likely poisoned by brodifacoum,” said Hannah Schauer, a communications and education coordinator for the DNR's Wildlife Division.

“Brodifacoum, which is a rodenticide, was found in the liver analysis of the bird. The gross examination findings showed the bird had pulmonary congestion and pulmonary edema as well as hemorrhages on the surface of the lungs and the heart, and congestion of the liver and the kidneys.”​
I agree that is sad to read.

The good thing is the American bald eagle has recovered from the 70s DDT and have grown in numbers since then. We see them regularly around here now and I almost hit one about a month ago on the base leg to a local turf runway. Scared me pretty good. This is according to my dentist who works for the state counting birds. He is into birds big time. Interesting guy to speak with about birds

That is a impressive list of equipment and an even more awesome hangar/ garage you have. If I ever got to that point I will have died and went to heaven!!
Yeah, my hangar is part of the house and unlike the garage (bad decision) it is heated and climate controlled so a bunch of non-aviation activities go on in there at times from woodworking, automotive repair, and monthly wine tastings, and a dance once a year.

I agree that is sad to read.

The good thing is the American bald eagle has recovered from the 70s DDT and have grown in numbers since then. We see them regularly around here now and I almost hit one about a month ago on the base leg to a local turf runway. Scared me pretty good. This is according to my dentist who works for the state counting birds. He is into birds big time. Interesting guy to speak with about birds
We have enough critters we like around here to be real careful with poisons. We lost a cat years ago due to suspected rat poison poisoning. Between, the birds, bees, and oother beneficial critters, we stick to mechanical means to get rid of the rest.

We use regular mouse traps in the house and we've got rat traps outside. As for the groundhogs, I have a humane trap and then when I catch one in there, I shoot it.

Back