Are the Dates of the IFR Pitot/Static Checks part of 100 Hour?

Scott_M

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Scott_M
When an A&P does a 100 Hour inspection does that usually include checking the dates of the 24 month IFR Pitot/Static check and transponder? It's been a very long time since I last did a 100 Hour. I know I used to check the dates, but I was "the Maintenance Dept" for a tiny flight school and I had to do that. The actual tests & cert were farmed out to an avionics shop on the field. If you brought an aircraft to a stranger A&P and wanted a 100 Hour done would you normally expect that to be done?

When I got the pitot/static check, the mechanic called in another company to do the check. So it would depend upon the scope of the mechanic you’re using, I think the fee is about $600 for a pitot static check and more if repairs are needed.

A & P can perform and sign a 100 Hour Inspection.

A & P cannot certify an Altimeter or Transponder.

Thus if the Altimeter & Transponder were to be part of a 100 Hour Inspection the A & P would be unable to sign it off.

The A & P may install a certified Altimeter and leak check the system which would address a portion of the requirements. This was a common practiceprior to Encoders.

It is not really practical anymore due to the related Transponder/Encoder Correspondence Check.

I don't know whether confirming the dates is a standard part of a 100 hour inspection (which is what I think you are asking), but can understand why you would when working as the maintenance guy for a flight school. You are probably the primary source for the school dispatch sheet so, even if confirming the dates is not a 100 hour inspection item, it is a valuable extra that takes you a few extra seconds.

Last edited:
When an A&P does a 100 Hour inspection does that usually include checking the dates of the 24 month IFR Pitot/Static check and transponder? It's been a very long time since I last did a 100 Hour. I know I used to check the dates, but I was "the Maintenance Dept" for a tiny flight school and I had to do that. The actual tests & cert were farmed out to an avionics shop on the field. If you brought an aircraft to a stranger A&P and wanted a 100 Hour done would you normally expect that to be done?

IMO, that’s not part of a 100 hour.

Just another thought. Isn't the requirements for the annual/100 inspection in the service manual for the model?

When an A&P does a 100 Hour inspection does that usually include checking the dates of the 24 month IFR Pitot/Static check and transponder?
Yes. Checking the dates on those tests, ELT battery date, AD dates, or any other airworthiness requirement are all part of perfoming a 100 hour. Part 43.15 gives you the reference along with the requirement to use a checklist for any required inspection. Some OEM inspection procedure list include a general line item that includes reviewing these types of dates.

Transponder/altimeter system checks are not a 100 hr inspection item. They are called out in the operating rule for flying in certain airspace or under IFR.

I appreciates ALL of the replies to my question. I guess I wasn't clear enough when I asked it.
I know the 24 month pitot/static check w/xpdr is not within the scope of a C-172 100 Hour inspection. That's to say, the typical A&P is not usually equipped or trained to perform the 24 month IFR pitot/static check. The check is required for aircraft flying in the IFR system. Once that check expires the aircraft is still airworthy for VFR flight, but not IFR. Conducting the check requires fancy gear and perhaps additional certification for the mechanic/repairman. Most of us always have the pitot/static check done by an avionics shop, or something similar.
Each aircraft or manufacturer's maintenance manuals lists what items are to be checked, and how, during a 100 Hour Inspection. As I said, I haven't done that inspection in many years. I also don't have the maintenance manuals for aircraft I haven't worked on in years. I do know my aircraft required checking the ELT/battery at each 100 Hour and Annual.

Thank you for the replies. Have a great day,

Conducting the check requires fancy gear and perhaps additional certification for the mechanic/repairman. Most of us always have the pitot/static check done by an avionics shop, or something similar.
FYI: to comply with the 24 month altimeter and xspndr certifications you also need to be under a CRS. However, an AP can perform and sign off the pitot/static system leak check.
Each aircraft or manufacturer's maintenance manuals lists what items are to be checked, and how, during a 100 Hour Inspection.
While the OEM manuals do contain 100 hr checklists the regulatory side is listed in Part 43 Appx D and the performance requirements are listed in Part 43.15. So it still falls to you to ensure your OEM checklist includes those items listed in Part 43. And has you asked in your OP will include reviewing the due dates of any non-100hr checklist items such as the 24 month check, ADs, etc. to ensure the aircraft meets its regulatory requirements.

I think most of us are in agreement that actually performing either the transponder or static system tests are not part of a 100 hour or annual inspection, or within the privileges of an A&P/IA.

I take the additional position that verifying they are in compliance is not part of the 100/annual either. While 43.15 states one must use a checklist, it is only required to include what is listed in Appendix D of Part 43, except for rotorcraft which have additional requirements. Neither performing those tasks or verifying them is listed. And by the way, those tasks/tests are considered maintenance tasks, not inspections. You can call the MSP FSDO and ask them about that.

Relevant portions of the regulations follow.

(c) Annual and 100-hour inspections.
(1) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall use a checklist while performing the inspection. The checklist may be of the person’s own design, one provided by the manufacturer of the equipment being inspected or one obtained from another source. This checklist must include the scope and detail of the items contained in Appendix D to this part and paragraph (b) of this section.

Appendix D
(i) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall inspect (where applicable) the following components of the radio group:
(1) Radio and electronic equipment—for improper installation and insecure mounting.
(2) Wiring and conduits—for improper routing, insecure mounting, and obvious defects.
(3) Bonding and shielding—for improper installation and poor condition.
(4) Antenna including trailing antenna—for poor condition, insecure mounting, and improper operation.

Nowhere in either of those does it refer to the tests required by 91.411 or 91.413.

I will add that I agree with those who believe that it is a good practice and good customer service to make note of the due dates during one’s review of the logbooks and inform the owner if they are due or coming due soon. However, if they are overdue it is not an airworthiness issue and would not require being added to the list of discrepancies that the inspection generated.

As a side note, it would be impossible to know if they are due if the owner is the type that does not give you the logbooks and wants you to give him a stickie when you are done rather than allowing you to make the entry in the log yourself. I would never work for such an owner.

But 43.15 also states the following which applies to all required inspections to include annuals. The key parts are "all required inspections" and "all applicable airworthiness requirements." There is no separate checklists between a 100 and annual. AD notes are not on any Part 43 checklist as well but it doesn't mean one can ignore them. An out of date AD, or expired 24 month inspection, or expired ELT battery date are all part of those "applicable airworthiness requirements." This also includes how discrepancies are listed. Part 43.11(b) states similar verbiage of "any inspection" but gives several examples of "applicable airworthiness requirements," i.e., applicable type certificate data, airworthiness directives, or other approved data upon which its airworthiness depends, and requires an owner list be generated as noted below. So regardless if performing an annual or 100hr the same rules and requirements apply. Now whether one follows them is a different matter.
upload_2022-1-18_15-8-15.png
upload_2022-1-18_15-18-57.png

upload_2022-1-18_15-16-13.png

Last edited:
If an owner flys in uncontrolled airspace and is limited to VFR operations, transponder and altimeter system 2 year checks are not required. These checks are driven by operating rules, not airworthiness requirements...

If an owner flys in uncontrolled airspace and is limited to VFR operations, transponder and altimeter system 2 year checks are not required.
But to keep in the context with the OP's question... if the aircraft does fly in controlled airspace and is IFR capable... where you are performing a 100 hour inspection and note the 24 month 411/413 inspection dates are overdue... you will still sign off the 100 hour as airworthy?

You can sign off the aircraft as airworthy without a transponder check. Should you tell the owner he is due for the check? Of course...

There's no such thing as a pitot check.

The transponder/static/altitude reporting/ELT/VOR inspections are all distinct from the annual.

But to keep in the context with the OP's question... if the aircraft does fly in controlled airspace and is IFR capable... where you are performing a 100 hour inspection and note the 24 month 411/413 inspection dates are overdue... you will still sign off the 100 hour as airworthy?
I would. I have. I would again.

But I’d tell the owner.

As a side note, it would be impossible to know if they are due if the owner is the type that does not give you the logbooks and wants you to give him a stickie when you are done rather than allowing you to make the entry in the log yourself. I would never work for such an owner.

I have my logbooks all on pdf, 100% up to date. I don't provide the physical logbooks to mechanics who work on my airplane, but do provide them with the pdf. I also provide a complete summary of all the systems in the aircraft, recurring AD dates and hours, as well as ELT battery dates, Transponder and Altimeter dates, a complete log of all installed equipment with W&B data and the models/serial numbers and and when each items last received service. I also review all log book entries with the mechanic before I accept them to make sure they are complete and don't include superfluous information. Once I and the mechanic are in agreement, I pay the mechanic and collect my sticky for the log book entry. If the mechanic does not agree to this, I don't do business with them. So I don't know if I could work with you, but you would have everything you needed to perform the maintenance.

Back