3rd class Urine test

Tony R

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Atrosa
Specifically what are they testing for with the urine sample on the 3rd class med? What are the acceptable limits? Can I get a pre-test before the actual exam?

Thanks in advance. Funny I don't have anxiety except for thinking I might never ever be able to fly again if I check the wrong box. This is why sport pilot is so appealing...

The “whiz quiz” is checking for presence of sugar. When a significant amount is detected, this points to you having high blood sugar aka diabetes or pre-diabetes.

You can purchase OTC test strips that perform the same function.

With the question being asked, my spider sense says you’re concerned about some other substance being detected.

A lot of AMEs have 7-way strips because they're easier to come by. This ends up giving you five tests that aren't supposed to be on the test. I got a lot of grief from the disaster of an AME I visited once because I was spilling ketones (I was doing the Atkins diet at the time).

The “whiz quiz” is checking for presence of sugar. When a significant amount is detected, this points to you having high blood sugar aka diabetes or pre-diabetes.

With the question being asked, my spider sense says you’re concerned about some other substance being detected.

Never smoked weed or any other drug. I had a kidney stone 10 years ago so I knew the whiz test tested kidney function. I am a huge planner... I never want to go into something without knowing the results.

In my world data is King. I just want to know every probability prior to getting an AME involved.

I even test my blood sugar even though in not diabetic. Just like flying. Prepare and mitigate. Nothing to chance.

A lot of AMEs have 7-way strips because they're easier to come by. This ends up giving you five tests that aren't supposed to be on the test. I got a lot of grief from the disaster of an AME I visited once because I was spilling ketones (I was doing the Atkins diet at the time).

I lost 45 pounds from limiting carbs to 50 and running 3 miles a day. Down to 173 pounds and feel great, but ketones could be a problem.

I read "Russian Crocodile" and my brain immediately heard Nita Talbot say "Hogan, darling!"

hogan.jpg

Krokodil. Homemade desomorphine. Poor man’s heroin. The zombie drug. Popular in Russia.

Warning: A Google image search on that can be particularly disturbing. It literally eats your flesh from the inside out.

I may not have the best health care plan...

The last time "Doc" just asked me to squat in the parking lot.

I asked why and he said: "Well, if it attracts a lot of ants you have high glucose. If it dries too fast you have high sodium. If it smells like meat, you have high cholesterol. If you forgot to move your pants out of the way, Alzheimer’s. If you had trouble squatting, Parkinson’s. And if you were a dude and nothing came out, prostate enlargement..."

Last edited:
I may not have the best health care plan...

The last time "Doc" just asked me to squat in the parking lot.

I asked why and he said: "Well, if it attracts a lot of ants you have high glucose. If it dries too fast you have high sodium. If it smells like meat, you have high cholesterol. If you forgot to move your pants out of the way, Alzheimer’s. If you had trouble squatting, Parkinson’s. And if you were a dude and nothing came out, prostrate enlargement..."
"prostrate" is what my MIL calls it.

What if you're doing the ketogenic diet?

This was back in around 2002 or so. I did Atkins. They even tell you to go get ketostix to test that you're burning fat and producing ketones.
Fortunately, it doesn't take much to get off it. The doctor told me to go eat a bagel or something and submit a full UA. I had a sub for lunch, tested myself with the ketostix and then headed out for the UA.

Fortunately, I kept those things in the house because my stepson has been a diabetic since 3 months of age.

This was back in around 2002 or so. I did Atkins. They even tell you to go get ketostix to test that you're burning fat and producing ketones.
Fortunately, it doesn't take much to get off it. The doctor told me to go eat a bagel or something and submit a full UA. I had a sub for lunch, tested myself with the ketostix and then headed out for the UA.

Fortunately, I kept those things in the house because my stepson has been a diabetic since 3 months of age.
Did keto for 4 months last year. I'm fairly active, but after wrestling for 12 years I'm a little body dysmorphic when it comes to my own weight. Constantly on a scale. Went from 211 to 170 in those 4 months. Ketogenic diet is more restrictive than Atkins, but easier to follow. Less than 20 grams of net carbs a day. Good to know prior to the medical that it could be an issue.

I was in ketosis too a few times (they used the 7 way) but nobody ever said anything. Maybe a different strip for ketosis and ketoacidosis which would indicate diabetes? I believe I might have even mentioned it beforehand and they said it would be no problem like they knew the difference.

Now I'm not saying they are dumb. But a couple of the folks I've worked with over the years have had to study for their pee and blood tests. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back