2022 Tri-Tip Thread

Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
Anyone here ever pan fried/oven-cooked Tri-Tip or any steak for that matter? Got a cast iron skillet for Christmas and after a few pounds of bacon I think it is seasoned enough for a trip-tip...

Advice?

Yes! Awesome stuff in cast iron. :yes:

Very hot sear, and transfer the whole pan to the oven. Lots of dry rub recipies out there to play with.

Make sure you're using a good meat thermometer!

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016919-grilled-or-oven-roasted-santa-maria-tri-tip

From the above:
  • To oven-roast a tri-tip, prepare meat with rub and refrigerate as instructed. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil or other cooking oil to a large, heavy ovenproof pan. On stovetop, heat on high until pan is very hot, then add tri-tip, fat side down. Turn heat to medium-high and sear roast for about 4 minutes. Turn the roast and put it in the oven. Cook it for about 10 minutes a pound, checking with an instant-read thermometer until it reaches 130 degrees for medium-rare.

:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat: I go a little past medium rare, but once you get it down to a science with cast iron you'll cook everything in them.

Technically, tri tip is a roast. I personally (in the absence of a proper grill) would oven cook it over trying to pan fry it. Remember that it isn't flat, so you won't get even heat transfer from the pan. You might pull it off with some liquid in there. But steak steaks heck ya, I'll pan fry them. No problem.

I think @ElPaso Pilot has a pretty good suggestion - cast iron on the stove top to get a good crust, then into the oven until the meat thermometer hits on the low side of med-rare. Internal temps will continue to rise as it rests after you pull it from the heat. I would use a stay-in temperature probe over an instant read during cooking, though. That way you don't have to keep opening the oven door. "If you're looking, you're not cooking" is what they say. When that probe lets you know you've hit temp, then use the instant read to verify in a couple of places.

Dang. Now I'm really hungry.

Technically, tri tip is a roast. I personally (in the absence of a proper grill) would oven cook it over trying to pan fry it. Remember that it isn't flat, so you won't get even heat transfer from the pan. You might pull it off with some liquid in there. But steak steaks heck ya, I'll pan fry them. No problem.
Pan frying a ribeye is a good thing.

I can see this thread is going to cause a stop at the butcher shop on the way home tonight...

Pan frying a ribeye is a good thing.

That's how I do it! I'll let the ribeye sit out for a few hours before cooking.... then set the oven for about 400.... season the ribeye with just some salt pepper and maybe a little garlic powder (sometimes not)... get a cast-iron pan screaming hot on the stove with some oil (olive or otherwise depending on the flavour you want)... sear each side for a couple of minutes.... take the pan and toss it in the oven for a few more minutes... let it rest for five or so... maybe ten....

So. Good.

So. Hungry now.

I used to do a sear on a room temp steak about 2 min either side then pop it in 350 oven for 6-8 minutes depending on thickness. Latest method is 2 min hot sear either side, then turn the fire down a bit and keep turning every two minutes until an internal temp of 140, or a press on it is about as firm as the base of my thumb. Baste with pan juices during the process. Don't use oil, just rub the pan with a little fat trimmed off the edge. Gives it a great carmelized crust. Let it rest at least 5 min before cutting into it.

Cast iron is great. Mine's been in the family since the 1800's.

Agree 100% for the ribeye, love cast iron for any steak.

that said, another great method for a single steak (saw it on Alton Brown’s show).

-put the steak out to come to room temp. Salt and pepper both sides.

-fill a large charcoal chimney with real charcoal and light.

-once ashen/fully burning, place a steak on the grill grate, and the chimney over it with the charcoal still inside

-flip once after 1:30 or so, put chimney back over

-take a spare grate, put over the chimney, steak on grate, stainless bowl over steak (big enough moisture can exit on perimeter)

-finish steak to desired temp.

-this method does a good job of simulating the ultra-hot broilers in many steakhouses. The crust is wonderful.

Wholeheartedly agree with everything above, with some tweaks. Cast iron is fantastic and with cold, wet winters it's my go-to solution. Ribbed or flat skillet will both work fine, but ribs leave the sear marks everyone likes to see. Only salt and pepper required, but flavor to your preference. Always dry the meat before it touches hot iron, that gets the sear. The process of searing is called the Maillard Reaction (look it up) and to be effective needs the meat to be dry before it touches the grates. If you want to lightly coat the grate use a high temperature oil like Grapeseed oil. Olive oil is great for salads and quick cooks but it flashes in flame and will put an off flavor on some meats when cooked at high temps. Experiment without any oil so you know how it works.

My latest favorite cooking process is sous vide - takes the meat from frozen to perfectly cooked without losing any moisture and requires no monitoring, just some easy planning. Then pat it dry before searing - see above - this is a critical step for a great sear and flavor.

On evenings where weather allows I cook outside, usually just the sear but occasionally I will cook cowboy - steak right on the coals. When friends come over I've take the SV steak out, prepped and let rest while I get a chimney of coals going and put the cast iron grate I bought for the weber right on top of the chimney. It heats the grate hot and meat sears rapidly - plus it looks cool for the guests. These techniques will work for any steak, ribeye is always a favorite. Sometimes a bone in NY Strip, or a filet, but any steak will cook like this just fine. Enjoy experimenting!

By the way, get a cast iron chainmail scrubber for cleaning your skillet - never use soap. After the skillet cools, use a paper towel to wipe out the debris then water and the scrubber will leave it perfectly seasoned, dry and it's ready to use the next time.

Oh, some might ask, where's this guy get off saying these things? <pause for effect>
Well, I am a KCBS Master Certified BBQ Judge and an SCA Certified Steak Judge. And push about 265#, so I've cooked and eaten my fair share of meat. Wife and I have steak dinner at home every Sunday night since 2008. With the cold and damp winter weather we do the above sous vide to ready at 5pm then sear in a Lodge ribbed cast iron on the gas cooktop - best steak ever, every week. I just became a pilot last year, but I've been cooking steaks for 40 years and never order steak in a restaurant.

AE4DF106-027B-4042-8ADB-5A3DFDE07B20.jpeg

The tri tip is smallish (1.9 lbs) and the chicken breast is largeish (1.1 lbs.)

I have Montreal Steak seasoning on the tri tip and Mesquite on the chicken. Coals light in a couple hours.

I don't understand why nobody has brought up waypoint cafe in camarillo (KCMA) that has excellent tri tip sandwiches on Wednesdays Saturdays and Sundays.

It could have something to do with 95% of POA being east of mountain time.

...My latest favorite cooking process is sous vide - takes the meat from frozen to perfectly cooked...pat it dry before searing...
Have you tried searing before the SV? My brother gave me a SV primer the other day and swears by that approach.

...By the way, get a cast iron chainmail scrubber...
Absolutely. I went years before I knew these things existed. Makes cleanup a snap.

Last edited:
Have you tried searing before the SV?
No, not yet. Mostly because meat starts already sealed in the vacuum bag, and the sear/sizzle happens just before plating. Double sear seems waste of bag and time. But could be an option, one day.

No, not yet. Mostly because meat starts already sealed in the vacuum bag, and the sear/sizzle happens just before plating. Double sear seems waste of bag and time. But could be an option, one day.

Yep. You need a FoodSaver so it is more hassle. He doesn't double sear. He plates after the SV.

Tritip MUST be cooked over a bed of Red Oak, seasoned only with salt, garlic powder, parsley, and black pepper. Anything else has no right to be referred to as Tritip. Call it a roast, whole steak, cowboy chops or anything else. But don’t sully the name of my Santa Maria Tritip any longer. Besides, I don’t see any pequinto beans or sourdough bread, so clearly your roasts are imposters.

You have been warned. :sosp: :skeptical:

Tritip MUST be cooked over a bed of Red Oak, seasoned only with salt, garlic powder, parsley, and black pepper. Anything else has no right to be referred to as Tritip. Call it a roast, whole steak, cowboy chops or anything else. But don’t sully the name of my Santa Maria Tritip any longer. Besides, I don’t see any pequinto beans or sourdough bread, so clearly your roasts are imposters.

You have been warned. :sosp: :skeptical:

For a Kansas boy this is as close as I can get. I *think* there was some oak in that lump charcoal I used.

4EF245F5-64F3-4057-9CFF-349C33ACBB61.jpeg

You have been warned
See, this right here is what's wrong with 'murica! No tolerance whatsoever for someone who experiments and finds a better solution. No tolerance! That recipe with parsley, come on man. Where's the rosemary? Where's the paprika? "MUST... seasoned only with", could you not include a touch of cayenne?

So that warning is accepted as a French insult.

:p:)

Also, it is of primary importance how you slice tri tip for maximum tenderness. See post #13 and notice the long strip of fat going down the long axis. It's just coincidence it is there but that is the line where the grain separates. Cut it in half along that line, then slice both pieces directly across the grain, preferably very thin. Actually post #14 is thicker than I normally do but I had a really good, prime tender cut to begin with.

There is a mini chain here called the Buckhorn which does tri tip better than most BBQ joints do it. Their secret? They don't overcook it, and they use a deli thin slicer to get it to about 1/8" thick. Very tender, very tasty.

Some BBQ joints smoke tri tip. Personally I think it's pointless, as if you smoke it past medium rare you've already ruined it. And most do just that and it ends up dry and tasteless.

Was it bought? Or was it built?

Bought. McCormick. Salt, pepper, seasonings. It's a dry rub. Sure I could craft the same thing but why. Sometimes I do Italian. I mix up some olive oil, balsamic vinegar and Italian spice blend (oregano and a few others) and some lemon off the tree. Works like a charm. Last week I cut some lemons in to slices, peel and all and put them on top of chicken thighs while cooking on the grill, with the aforementioned Italian glaze. It got high acclaims.

Well this is week three in a row, tri tip and chicken. Yes, I'm boring. I was going to smoke some ribs but the ribs didn't look that great and the tri tip... did.

Back