mandm

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Michael
Share your hangar pics, how to decorate, what to stock, necessary tools, etc

Don't really have pictures of just the hangar. This one shows a lot of it:
IMG_20211212_090808376_HDR.jpg

The tall cabinet came from my wife's Oma's basement. Oil, parts, and cleaning supplies storage. The tool box is a cheap one from menards, but is perfect for the hangar. Wooden top work surface is stiff enough to mount a small vise. The "brute" trash can showed up in the middle of one of my fields after a wind storm. A big trashcan on wheels is one of the best things you can have in any shop, imo. 5gal bucket for oil changes, small cheap compressor, 400lb electronic scale for w&b purposes.

My daughter received the flag for winning a DAR essay contest; it's actually quite useful for making sure the tail is centered. On the close side you can't see are two recliners, also from Oma's house. Nice for sitting & planning ifr flights. A creeper is useful for cleaning the belly & inflating tires & struts. The nitrogen bottle lives over there as well, with the broom, and shovel for scooping the last couple feet of snow they can't get with the snow plow.

Behind the plane are mouseproof metal garbage cans that store my Bruce's cover & cowl blankets when not in use. Also the small shop-vac.

The most important things in the hangar: mousetraps. I use electronic ones. In the year+ I've been in here, I've caught 5, and two of those in the last 2 weeks, so not sure what that's about. I don't allow food in the plane, and any food- related trash gets put in the cans outside the hangar. The plane in the next hangar over hasn't flown in years, so I'm sure it's full of mice.

I keep a pretty basic set of hand tools, as there's only so much you can do on a certified plane. Screwdrivers see the most use. I have a 12v dewalt compact impact and light that get used a lot. 3/8 torque wrench. Borescope. Grypmats are expensive, but worth it. Side cutters and needle nose pliers get used. I bought a safety wire kit, but honestly one set of the pliers would've been enough. I'm tempted to get a jack so I can do tires & brakes, but haven't done it yet. The shop on the field has a good stock of tires, so it's a lot easier to let them do it.

gtTBCPq.jpeg
e81Pjt9.jpg
1vlBMfB.jpeg
lvoE6MH.jpeg
7fOhZ2o.jpg

Here’s my hail shed. I’d love to have a door but also liking the low rate. I built a small workbench with vice, have a small storage box with vacuum, microfiber towls, cleaners, oil, Sprayaway window cleaner, power cord and a 5 gal bucket with lid for used oil. Also have a small step ladder.

It faces east so I get AM sun but is shaded past approx 10am.

807BD70A-EF04-4B1D-9023-3FC2DAF63693.jpeg

Hanger necessities out in the country:

Winter is mouse time, they come in from the cold and wet.

Mouse fences. Measure the length required for a piece of sheet metal around each wheel, and have them made at your nearest well equipped HVAC shop. They make a "slip fit" for one end, and you simply push the plain end into the slot. Height of 6 to 9 inches, according to space. Taildraggers may need to put a block under the tailwheel to get enough height. 6 inches seems as high as mice jump.

I first saw this around the wheels of a friends Barron in his hangar, and thought that fence was genius, compared to trying to catch every mouse that came into the hangar.

Nice pics and thanks for sharing. For the air compressor could a portable air compressor tool work?

My hangar only has a shelf unit, some oil cases and a compressor. Oh, and dog crates. Not much to look at.

Mice.?? mixture of peppermint oil and spearmint oil keeps the mice away.

33% spearmint and 67% peppermint mixture works best for me. I cut the bottom off of water bottles off, about the bottom quarter and fill it loosely with cotton balls. Soak the cotton once a month. Put some inside the plane or other vehicles stored in a hangar.

It won't kill the kids or dog or cat if they get into it. Might give them a good bellyache though.

I use this in my moms house and my house.

Mice.?? mixture of peppermint oil and spearmint oil keeps the mice away.

33% spearmint and 67% peppermint mixture works best for me. I cut the bottom off of water bottles off, about the bottom quarter and fill it loosely with cotton balls. Soak the cotton once a month. Put some inside the plane or other vehicles stored in a hangar.

It won't kill the kids or dog or cat if they get into it. Might give them a good bellyache though.

I use this in my moms house and my house.
I do the same in the combine. Bonus it smells like Christmas all fall.

Hanger necessities out in the country:

Winter is mouse time, they come in from the cold and wet.

Mouse fences. Measure the length required for a piece of sheet metal around each wheel, and have them made at your nearest well equipped HVAC shop. They make a "slip fit" for one end, and you simply push the plain end into the slot. Height of 6 to 9 inches, according to space. Taildraggers may need to put a block under the tailwheel to get enough height. 6 inches seems as high as mice jump.

I first saw this around the wheels of a friends Barron in his hangar, and thought that fence was genius, compared to trying to catch every mouse that came into the hangar.
Go watch "mousetrap Monday" on YouTube.... mice can almost jump out of a five gallon bucket. Your mouse fence needs to be 18"+ to do any good.

I do the same in the combine. Bonus it smells like Christmas all fall.

Until you spill 6 or so ounces on yourself. My wife made me take my pants off outside, then drop my pants in the washer, then made me go straight to the shower...:lol::lol:

Not much but I own this Port-a-Port. With solar/battery, 12v lighting on a timer, misc cordless rechargeable tools, some basic furniture + a (to be remotely controllable) cooler I feel pretty good about it.

Edit: Dunno how to upload pics properly

Attachments

• 6F7AB23E-A966-4D9C-988F-CAD30F2263C7.jpeg
    6F7AB23E-A966-4D9C-988F-CAD30F2263C7.jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Here’s mine, not too decorated yet as I just got into it about 2 months, switched from a full service hangar on the other side of the field to my own T hangar. For now just a table to hang out and eat at, my tug, and some shelving for plane things such as oil, GPU, cleaners, life vests etc. In the plans for next month is some more decorations like a state of Florida flag, a USA flag, and some cessna and aviation themed decor as well. The last pic is from the day I moved my plane into this hangar873CB367-165F-47E7-96DC-DF6091BF90D7.jpegC04C778E-AB6D-4A56-AF4C-77EF395BEBEE.jpeg59830494-FBE4-4D20-B7A1-A166F1CB404C.jpeg

In my hangar starting from the big door and working around the room:

1. Couple of hooks with extension cords hanging on them.
2. Two rolling scaffolds (stacked up) that I originally was going to use to change the light bulbs with (17' ceiling) but decided they were too wobbly for me, so they're just playing shelving unit.
3. Four post Bendpak lift.
4 Electric/hydraulic man lift that can place the platform at 24' off the floor that isn't as wobbly which I do use for changing light bulbs, etc.
5. Sectional sofa (lives under the lift)
6. Rolling cart with a dozen folding chairs and a half dozen folding tables
7. Large stainless steel sink with gojo dispensor.
8. Big air compressor (in case the air gets too big in the hangar)
9. Small air compressor (when I need to make air smaller somewhere else).
10. Dust collector for the adjacent wood shop.
11. Portable air tank for moving smaller air around
12. Air hose reel
13. Power cord reel.
14. Assorted portable LED shop lights
15. Moving Cool "mobile" air conditioner
16. Small rolling toolbox that I roll up close to the plane when working
17. Larger toolbox with tools I don't use so often
18. Control panel for entertainment system.
19. Rolling cart with HD video projector
20. Theromstat for radiant floor heat.
21. Parts bins
22. Ring doorbell remote chime
23. Tall metal cabinet with extra airplane supplies in it
24. Electric leaf blower used to clean out hangar
25. Door to the rest of the house.
26. Two rolling workbenches with various tools,
27. Tall cabinet with various paints and stuff.
28. Tall cabinet with assorted hardware and stuff
29. Open rolling shelves with assorted power tools: SDS+ hammer drill, two cordless hammer drills, 2 cordless recip saw, 1 cordless right angle drill, 1 cordless snake light, cordless vacuum, cordless jigsaw, cordless rotozip-like thing, cordless detail sander, cordless finish nailer, cordless framing nailer, two cordless circular saws, one cordless track saw, various pneumatic tools, laser level, 4-ton porta power, fein detail sandler/saw, corded rotozip, corded recipe saw, etc...
30. Old railroad luggage cart with some donated live edge walnut boards on it
31. Door to storage area
32. Open shelves with random stuff on it (spare tires, extra door locks, portable military VASI, etc,.)
33. ELFA shelf standards holding mostly extra wood.
34. Boat trailer for the big boat
35. Small mechanics toolboxes left over from having multiple hangars
36. Little dingy rowboat and trailer
37. Cabinet with mostly beekeeping supplies
38. Trash and recycling cans
39. Assorted step and extension ladders and various poles and extensions, mops and brooms
40. Packing crate for my JET jointer-planer that is on casters and used for a temporary bar once a month.
41. Three aircraft jacks.
42. (overhead) 2 big-ass fans
43. Two halon-dry chemical combination automatic fire extinguishers.

SDS+ hammer drill, two cordless hammer drills, 2 cordless recip saw, [...] cordless framing nailer, two cordless circular saws, one cordless track saw, various pneumatic tools, laser level, 4-ton porta power, fein detail sandler/saw, corded rotozip, corded recipe saw, etc...
Navions are tough, but I didn't know they were THAT tough...

Here's the current state of my hangar. The airport guys need to learn to push snow AWAY from the hangar and not towards. Sigh.

20220117_072611.jpg

Last edited:
Well, it's a little different for me! I tend to have access to a few more photos than most people!

The silver tarp in the back is covering a wing from my friends Hughes H1 Racer inspired plane. It'll leave soon.
My Craftsman cabinet started off covered in motorcycle stickers, but slowly aviation stickers are taking it over. About half and half now.
In the last picture, to the left of the TV are my newest signs, from 1962 & 1963, Phillips 66 and Skelly aviation fuel signs with the Jetsons on them!
Everyone should have a Fleetwood Aviation Oil sign! I think I have 3!
I've got to clean up a few cables... trying to get the HD TV antenna setup right so I could watch my Cowboys lose... more time to fly now!

51827258936_98b4b75cd9_b.jpg

51827986510_a795574835_b.jpg

51827986395_bb15eaea2d_b.jpg

Well, it's a little different for me! I tend to have access to a few more photos than most people!

The silver tarp in the back is covering a wing from my friends Hughes H1 Racer inspired plane. It'll leave soon.
My Craftsman cabinet started off covered in motorcycle stickers, but slowly aviation stickers are taking it over. About half and half now.
In the last picture, to the left of the TV are my newest signs, from 1962 & 1963, Phillips 66 and Skelly aviation fuel signs with the Jetsons on them!
Everyone should have a Fleetwood Aviation Oil sign! I think I have 3!
I've got to clean up a few cables... trying to get the HD TV antenna setup right so I could watch my Cowboys lose... more time to fly now!

51827258936_98b4b75cd9_b.jpg

51827986510_a795574835_b.jpg

51827986395_bb15eaea2d_b.jpg
Very cool!! How did you mount the pictures to the walls. MY rental T hangar I can't drill holes.

Very cool!! How did you mount the pictures to the walls. MY rental T hangar I can't drill holes.
They're just little rare earth magnets! I would be kicked out for drilling holes too, especially this many!

They're just little rare earth magnets! I would be kicked out for drilling holes too, especially this many!
Thanks, that is what I was thinking also and I use them too. They are a buck a piece from aircraft spruce, I need to get more.
The only problem is my next door neighbor who is a friend thinks he has to slam his walk in door every time he leaves and knocks stuff loose off my walls.
Most of this stuff is hanging from existing screws and setting on ledges. I do have some stuff held on by those magnets that move around when my buddy slams his door. Lucky he is gone most of the time as he fly's for the airlines. I can always tell when he is there because I have to straighten out stuff on my walls.
IMG_1340.JPG

IMG_1343.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks, that is what I was thinking also and I use them too. They are a buck a piece from aircraft spruce, I need to get more.
The only problem is my next door neighbor who is a friend thinks he has to slam his walk in door every time he leaves and knocks stuff loose off my walls.
Most of this stuff is hanging from existing screws and setting on ledges. I do have some stuff held on by those magnets that move around when my buddy slams his door. Lucky he is gone most of the time as he fly's for the airlines. I can always tell when he is there because I have to straighten out stuff on my walls.
Nice hangar! Mine are all just prints, so no weight to them. For the frames, I used a wire on the back of them, and just loosen one of the hangar screws and wrap the wire around it. Same for my metal signs, I just used the existing screws for the most part.

Did I miss your "I bought an airplane" thread? That's a beautiful arrow, and that's my favorite classic piper paint scheme.

Thank you much :)
I really like the paint too, I haven’t posted too much yet about the plane yet. I just got it in the New Year and flew it in from Boston.

Back