Is truck inventory going to get any better?

Sort of on topic: There is also a huge demand for mid-sized SUVs, at least if they are made by Toyota. I just sold a 4Runner for book plus 40% (I pulled that number out of an article in the Wall Street Journal saying that used car prices are up 36%). Big mistake. I should have initiated a bidding war. Guy is flying up from California to buy it and even if that doesn't work out, I've got a long waiting list, including a higher bid (unfortunately, the guy from California had already bought his airplane ticket so I didn't want to dump out on him). I wish I'd known. Within 5 minutes of my husband posting it on Craigslist, we were getting phone calls, one after another (actually, coming in while we were on the phone with someone else). It was pretty crazy.

You might ask why on Earth would I sell it? In fact, I really hate to because I love that car. But 4Runners cannot be flat-towed. I need something that can be flat-towed because on my missions, trying to wrangle an RV towing a car hauler is basically impossible. I use my RV and my 4Runner for field work, but can't use both at the same time unless my husband drives one or the other down for me, and as he doesn't like hanging out while I do field work, that's impossible. So far I've been able to have the RV and ride in my colleagues' field vehicles, but that won't always be possible. Most of the campgrounds we use near our field sites can't accommodate an RV towing a big trailer.

What did I get? All the reviews seemed to indicate that the mid-sized SUVs that are best for off-roading are the Jeep Grand Cherokees. First car in 50 years of car ownership that isn't a Toyota. But it's comfortable--first non-Toyota car about which I could say that--and should do OK in the field.

When I lived in a snowy area it was easy to spot the 4WD vehicles. When they're on their sides in the ditch you just look for the transaxle ...
Let's face it. It's not the cars, it's the drivers. In snow, I can get to places in my 4WD that even my front-drive Camry can't get to.

No DEF, no DPF, base truck (2dr standard cab SRW) in good condition will go for $20K+ with your mileage.
What's DPF? What's SRW? It's the late 2007 model with the Allison transmission. Base model. It's an extended cab, 2WD. Mechanically it's in great condition. Have serviced it according to maintenance schedule at GM dealers and have all the receipts. Non mechanically the heater/ac system is stuck on dash vents only. Can't use floor/defroster vents. The driver door is effed up. I have to open the window and reach out and open it from the outside to get out. You'd think these were easy fixes, but they are not. Oh yeah, it has Sirius/XM for life.

When I lived in a snowy area it was easy to spot the 4WD vehicles. When they're on their sides in the ditch you just look for the transaxle ...
Lol. A tow truck driver told me once that 4WD's stuck in the snow is what keeps them rollin' in the dough. . No, I don't really know any tow truck drivers. Just some dude I met while he was winching my truck back up to the driveway.

At one point late last year, Ford had 60,000 Super Duty's waiting on modules. GM still has a couple of lines shut down, or running at greatly reduced rates due to module shortages. There's probably close to a million GM vehicles on the road with some engine and body functions disabled waiting on modules.
Modules???

Fat fingers on a iphone that has a wacked sense of touch location and sensitivity.......;)
Ok. So you didn't mean to type m o d u l e s. What did you mean? What are the "...60,000 Super Duty's waiting on modules..." waiting on?

At one point late last year, Ford had 60,000 Super Duty's waiting on modules. GM still has a couple of lines shut down, or running at greatly reduced rates due to module shortages. There's probably close to a million GM vehicles on the road with some engine and body functions disabled waiting on modules.
What will happen when/if those modules arrive?

Modules is correct.....They are things like Body Control Modules, Engine Control Modules, and other single board computers that run various functions within the vehicle. As they receive the modules in the plants, a certain number are being sent over for installation in the stored vehicles, which can then be shipped to dealers. Don’t know how GM is doing things, as the temporary deletion of certain functions required some dedicated programming changes.

Last thing I saw published on the chip shortage for vehicles, is that they expect to be back at full production rates by the end of 2023.

So, IF..gas gets to +$4/gallon as some have predicted, what will happen to truck demand/prices Will they continue to be frothy? Will people clamor for my 38 mpg Mazda. Will the Prius owners get even more smug?

If you want a Ford and a member of EAA, go to your local dealer and order one to your liking. Then use the EAA Ford program on pricing.
I did this on two Ford trucks in 2021, saved me big bucks

we waited about 8-12 weeks if I remember.

FD24682E-23A8-4AAF-A16C-F89EB39E169B.jpeg
So, IF..gas gets to +$4/gallon as some have predicted, what will happen to truck demand/prices Will they continue to be frothy? Will people clamor for my 38 mpg Mazda. Will the Prius owners get even more smug?

What's DPF? What's SRW? It's the late 2007 model with the Allison transmission. Base model…

Diesel Particulate Filter…a disliked emissions feature. Single Rear Wheel.

Of all that, the door is probably the biggest detractor however you could get as much as $15K for it in a private party sale.

If you want a Ford and a member of EAA, go to your local dealer and order one to your liking. Then use the EAA Ford program on pricing.
I did this on two Ford trucks in 2021, saved me big bucks

we waited about 8-12 weeks if I remember.
I keep forgetting about this. Did the dealer know about this?

I keep forgetting about this. Did the dealer know about this?
No. I ordered them at OSH through a Ford corporate person who coordinated with my dealer.
I would suggest ordering it and not telling them until it comes in.

I picked up my '14 Silverado last May and was amazed and frustrated at how tight the market was then. Crazy to see how it's even worse now. If I search for the same key specs as what I have now, 1 listing shows up in a 200 mile radius (listed by Carvana, so who knows where it 'really' is located).

I had kicked around the idea of looking for a 3/4 T diesel, but fahgettaboutit! Some of these trucks are selling for more than we paid for our house just 10 years ago!

No. I ordered them at OSH through a Ford corporate person who coordinated with my dealer.
I would suggest ordering it and not telling them until it comes in.
So, calling the EAA, they would perhaps be able to give me the Ford corporate person?

So, calling the EAA, they would perhaps be able to give me the Ford corporate person?

They also might be able to give you a code you can use at any Ford dealer. My FiL retired from Ford, if I want a car he gives me a Zplan code that I can use at any Ford dealer, and that gives me the Zplan price, no haggling. Too bad there isn't anything Ford that interests me at the moment. If I could get a 2-door Bronco with a soft top and stick shift, I'd already have one ordered. As it is, I'll likely be ordering a 2-door Wrangler by early summer.

I picked up my '14 Silverado last May and was amazed and frustrated at how tight the market was then. Crazy to see how it's even worse now. If I search for the same key specs as what I have now, 1 listing shows up in a 200 mile radius (listed by Carvana, so who knows where it 'really' is located).

I had kicked around the idea of looking for a 3/4 T diesel, but fahgettaboutit! Some of these trucks are selling for more than we paid for our house just 10 years ago!

It’s crazy. But I will sell you my truck for the friend price of $200k. :D

Best thing to do is call your local dealer, let them know you are ordering a truck. Most dealers will order a truck without a deposit or anything. Mine will.

When it comes in, give them the EAA Code. The reason I say not to give the code up front is the dealers are making a killing right now, they may not order it if they know they are getting $500 below invoice.

Best thing to do is call your local dealer, let them know you are ordering a truck. Most dealers will order a truck without a deposit or anything. Mine will.

When it comes in, give them the EAA Code. The reason I say not to give the code up front is the dealers are making a killing right now, they may not order it if they know they are getting $500 below invoice.

That’s what I think happened to me with the Alfa Romeo at the local dealer. Then I order s from a high volume dealer and it was no issue.

This is the third new car I’ve bought, and in all 3 cases I went to a local dealer, and ended up buying the vehicle from a dealer far away.

Of all that, the door is probably the biggest detractor however you could get as much as $15K for it in a private party sale.

The DPF was disliked because it's an expensive repair when they fail, lol. Otherwise, people liked not having the sooty black exhaust. DEF and the associated regen cycles that kill fuel mileage are what really suck. I'd think the SRW would potentially be a better seller than the DRW, just because many guys want the higher GVWR that usually comes with the SRW without having to deal with driving a dually around. I bet it would be fairly easy to find a junkyard door somewhere and install that if his is too rough to repair.

Yesterday I pumped gas into the PA-32 at $4.75, but gas for the Chevy truck a block away was $4.89 for 87 octane regular unleaded.

Brown Field (SDM) Chula Vista, CA.

@Pilawt can certify

The DPF was disliked because it's an expensive repair when they fail, lol. Otherwise, people liked not having the sooty black exhaust. DEF and the associated regen cycles that kill fuel mileage are what really suck. I'd think the SRW would potentially be a better seller than the DRW, just because many guys want the higher GVWR that usually comes with the SRW without having to deal with driving a dually around. I bet it would be fairly easy to find a junkyard door somewhere and install that if his is too rough to repair.
Yeah on the door. When a dealer service dude said that would probably be cheaper than trying to fix it, I couldn't believe it. I'm having trouble with an SRW having a higher GVWR than a DRW. Just don't make no sense to me.

??? You had me thinking in terms of hundreds of thousands of dollars above. Is $15K a typo? Or did you mean $150K

??? You had me thinking in terms of hundreds of thousands of dollars above. Is $15K a typo? Or did you mean $150K

$15,000 is where I’d start as is. Replace the door and ask $18,000 on autotrader and it’ll probably go in less than 30 days.

You won’t, not new anyway. I bought one of the last manual transmission pickup trucks made, period. 1/2 tons had all gone auto a while before, as had Ford and Chevy with the 3/4 and 1 tons. Now they’re all automatic.
I almost bought an F250 Super Duty diesel with a manual, I think it was 2010 model. In any case, it was the last year Ford offered a manual, and I'm pretty sad that I didn't buy it.

Yeah, the chip makers don't consider 100K of something to be even slightly significant, so they wait their turn.

Yeah on the door. When a dealer service dude said that would probably be cheaper than trying to fix it, I couldn't believe it. I'm having trouble with an SRW having a higher GVWR than a DRW. Just don't make no sense to me.
I meant the 3500 SRW having a higher GVWR than the 2500 SRW. They are essentially the same truck from an equipment/suspension standpoint, just that the 3500 gets a sticker with a higher rating. Sorry, wasn't implying that the 3500 SRW was rated higher than the DRW, lol.

$15,000 is where I’d start as is. Replace the door and ask $18,000 on autotrader and it’ll probably go in less than 30 days.
Oh. It was someone else that said something about $100,000. Oh well. Guess I'll just be keeping the ol' gal. Like the man said, "It's Cheaper to Keep her"

I meant the 3500 SRW having a higher GVWR than the 2500 SRW. They are essentially the same truck from an equipment/suspension standpoint, just that the 3500 gets a sticker with a higher rating. Sorry, wasn't implying that the 3500 SRW was rated higher than the DRW, lol.
Oh. gotcha

Somebody just offered me $9k for my 89 Cherokee 4.0. I've owned it since new, no rust, new paint, a few minor mods like a Ford 8.8 rear end, 4 wheel disks, header and 4" lift.

Turned them down. Nothing out there today I would care to buy that will do what I need as well as that little truck. The market is crazy.

The DPF was disliked because it's an expensive repair when they fail, lol. Otherwise, people liked not having the sooty black exhaust.

Maybe the people that didn't own diesels. I don't think I ever heard of anyone who actually owned a diesel preferring DPF over sooty black exhaust.

Maybe the people that didn't own diesels. I don't think I ever heard of anyone who actually owned a diesel preferring DPF over sooty black exhaust.

Unless you just like the look of black soot all over the back of your truck/SUV, many like not having to clean off the soot from their vehicle as often. It's sort-of akin to those who hate catalytic converters because of the different exhaust smell compared to older vehicles. The reason people don't like DPFs is because of having to deal with the loss of performance, DEF, and the regen cycles that burn off of the particulates in the DPF. My 6.0L didn't have any of that stuff on it, but it did have the EGR-system which normally functioned fine and didn't impact performance. However, the EGR is a source of headaches when it gets plugged up and it can foul up the oil cooler which is a big problem. So, my EGR was deleted by a previous owner.

As mentioned, it’s not just DPF, it’s everything associated due to the associated emissions requirements. Each component is it’s own added level of complexity.

There’s a reason the simple diesels are desired and it’s because they’re simple to work on and can (not always) be more reliable and easier to repair.

For the 06-07 Duramax, the most common problems are the water pump, glow plugs, EGR (delete-able) and a trans line leak all of which are easily repairable. For the 08-10 Duramax, that list becomes DPF & regen system and low fuel rail pressure, which are entirely different levels of problem solving.

You won’t, not new anyway. I bought one of the last manual transmission pickup trucks made, period. 1/2 tons had all gone auto a while before, as had Ford and Chevy with the 3/4 and 1 tons. Now they’re all automatic.

Toyota sells some TRD badged Tacomas with a stick, and there's still manual Jeep Gladiators to be had. Neither would be my choice for towing.

Back