Is truck inventory going to get any better?

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
I am in a want, not a need, so that is good. Prices aside, looking at a 100 mile radius, what I want is apparently not available. 5.0L, standard bed, crewcab, a 2WD is not to be found. Am I the only one that does not need or want a 4WD? I have always had a truck even if it was just a beater. Never a 4WD. Never missed not having it. I have never understood the requirement to buy a 4WD when almost everyone I ask admit that they rarely if ever use the feature. I live in the northern south where it rarely, snows. When it does, we stay home until it melts the next day. I just don't see a point to spending $5K for a feature that I will likely never use.

I hear that prices are coming down in the spring so maybe in a year, I can go shopping without getting too ****ed off in the process.

Minor rant over.

I am in a want, not a need, so that is good. Prices aside, looking at a 100 mile radius, what I want is apparently not available. 5.0L, standard bed, crewcab, a 2WD is not to be found. Am I the only one that does not need or want a 4WD? I have always had a truck even if it was just a beater. Never a 4WD. Never missed not having it. I have never understood the requirement to buy a 4WD when almost everyone I ask admit that they rarely if ever use the feature. I live in the northern south where it rarely, snows. When it does, we stay home until it melts the next day. I just don't see a point to spending $5K for a feature that I will likely never use.

I hear that prices are coming down in the spring so maybe in a year, I can go shopping without getting too ****ed off in the process.

Minor rant over.
I got a call from a Chevy dealer in Sulfer, LA just yesterday. I had my 1 ton Diesel serviced there once. About 10 years ago. They wanted to know if I wanted sell it. They are really looking deep to find trucks. Don't know if they searched their own records or some national data base.

If you never use 4wd in a truck are you sure you need a truck? Even without snow 4wd comes in handy on muddy dirt roads, hills with loose gravel, trying to back up a hill with a heavy load or trailer, pulling a boat out on a wet ramp, etc. If you are just using the truck for occasional trips to the hardware store or dump like most people you may find that a SUV and trailer does 99% of what you need and renting a truck makes more sense for the few times you actually need a truck. The SUV will also likely get you more comfort features and better gas economy for the same money as a truck. Just something to think about as I don’t know your specific situation. I just see alot of people driving around trucks that are only using them as a commuter car.

I got a call from a Chevy dealer in Sulfer, LA just yesterday. I had my 1 ton Diesel serviced there once. About 10 years ago. They wanted to know if I wanted sell it. They are really looking deep to find trucks. Don't know if they searched their own records or some national data base.
There is a HUGE demand for heavy pickups right now. They get used up working. I saw two used early 2000 three quarter ton duals with almost 200,000 miles on them on a lot this fall, priced at almost $100,000 each. And he probably got that from someone desperate enough to pay it.

There is a HUGE demand for heavy pickups right now. They get used up working. I saw two used early 2000 three quarter ton duals with almost 200,000 miles on them on a lot this fall, priced at almost $100,000 each. And he probably got that from someone desperate enough to pay it.
Dang. Maybe I should look at selling. 2007 Chevy C3500. I've heard they are kind desirable because they don't need DEF. That was the last year. Got about 180,000 on it. I don't need something that big any more because I got rid of the big trailer I pulled with it. But I got a smaller one now and will still need something to tow about 5,000 lbs. Market for them is probably no better. Oh well.

My son got his MBA last year, but he has yet to quit his college job of selling new trucks. Its hard to argue with him leaving when he's making $10k a month in salary/commissions. He said all they have to do is announce that a truck is coming to the stealership sometime in 3 months, and it is sold in minutes at several thousand above sticker. But, he said he makes his biggest commissions on the trade ins.

I had a dream last night that someone offered me $250k for my truck.

For the record, I would sell it for that price.

If you never use 4wd in a truck are you sure you need a truck? Even without snow 4wd comes in handy on muddy dirt roads, hills with loose gravel, trying to back up a hill with a heavy load or trailer, pulling a boat out on a wet ramp, etc. If you are just using the truck for occasional trips to the hardware store or dump like most people you may find that a SUV and trailer does 99% of what you need and renting a truck makes more sense for the few times you actually need a truck. The SUV will also likely get you more comfort features and better gas economy for the same money as a truck. Just something to think about as I don’t know your specific situation. I just see alot of people driving around trucks that are only using them as a commuter car.
I drove 2WD trucks (still own one) for decades. My father pretty much only owned 2WD trucks until his most recent one. I've never had problems pulling trailers through grass/wet fields, or pulling 5Klbs boat out of the water. Good A/T tires go a long way to helping with that. Obviously I'm not implying that a 2WD is as capable as a 4WD, but for those who aren't putting them in mud up to the hubs or backing in boats from the beach, they do pretty well. I got up plenty of decent hills covered in 6-8" of snow with nothing more than a half dozen sand bags in the bed. The inside of my truck beds are always scratched and dinged, most of which you'd never want to put in an SUV.

I will say that having 4WD on my Excursion is nice as a backup/extra level of safety, but I don't even engage it more than a time or two each year. Best to just stay at home when it's truly iced up or nasty out.

Unless you are in the far south or will settle for a work truck the odds of finding a 2wd on the lot will be slim. Even more so if you want the 5.0. I rarely need 4wd in my truck but the one time I do, it was worth the investment especially at resale time. Standard bed will also be hard to find, most buyers get the short bed for some reason. You will have a better chance shopping in the 3/4ton market.

Fortunately, I just want a half ton to tow a motorcycle trailer across country, in comfort. No campers, travel trailers for me. My current truck is 22 years old with less than 150K miles and works ok for dump runs, etc. but with the planned travel, I would like something newer with cameras and a super crew cab for the dogs. After a detailed look I want the NA 5.0L V8. The ecoboost engine doesn't seem to have that big of an advantage with fuel economy. They do seem to have an advantage when towing in the higher elevations.
I am just waiting to be able to get what I want but no more for something close to the price on the Ford website.

Last edited:
Dang. Maybe I should look at selling. 2007 Chevy C3500. I've heard they are kind desirable because they don't need DEF. That was the last year. Got about 180,000 on it. I don't need something that big any more because I got rid of the big trailer I pulled with it. But I got a smaller one now and will still need something to tow about 5,000 lbs. Market for them is probably no better. Oh well.
Maybe you should. I heard the same thing about the DEF.

Fortunately, I just want a half ton to tow a motorcycle trailer across country, in comfort. No campers, travel trailers for me. My current truck is 22 years old with less than 150K miles and works ok for dump runs, etc. but with the planned travel, I would like something newer with cameras and a super crew cab for the dogs. After a detailed look I want the NA 5.0L V8. The ecoboost engine doesn't seem to have that big of an advantage with fuel economy. They do seem to have an advantage when towing in the higher elevations.
I am just waiting to be able to get what I want but no more for something close to the price on the Ford website.
Don't need no truck for that travelin

5a86d946719b34043d75f449d56c7aa3.jpg

Dang. Maybe I should look at selling. 2007 Chevy C3500

No DEF, no DPF, base truck (2dr standard cab SRW) in good condition will go for $20K+ with your mileage.

Dealer friend of mine, Dodge being one of his lots got in 8 Dodge trucks last week. 6 that he wanted and two 2WD. He has no idea how he is going to get rid of the 2WD models. He got in a 1/2 ton diesel that might have me looking at a Dodge when it is time for a new truck. I mean it was really decked out and nice.

Zeldman
a solid GM man...

You can always order the spec you want as long as you are willing to wait for it. ( we are almost 7 months into the wait for the Bronco that we ordered)

Of course, that make me think of the 'world's oldest profession' scene in Idiocracy:

Dealer friend of mine, Dodge being one of his lots got in 8 Dodge trucks last week. 6 that he wanted and two 2WD. He has no idea how he is going to get rid of the 2WD models. He got in a 1/2 ton diesel that might have me looking at a Dodge when it is time for a new truck. I mean it was really decked out and nice.

Zeldman
a solid GM man...
So, kinda like my affinity for manual transmissions. If I can find one on someone's lot that wants to get rid of it... I just hate buying vehicles, especially in this climate.

Last edited:
You can always order the spec you want as long as you are willing to wait for it. ( we are almost 7 months into the wait for the Bronco that we ordered)

Of course, that make me think of the 'world's oldest profession' scene in Idiocracy:

I am in no hurry. I really should stop looking at truck ads, really.

Last edited:
So, kinda like my affinity for manual transmissions. If I can find one on someone's lot that wants to get rid of it... I just hate buying vehicles, especially in this climate.

You won’t, not new anyway. I bought one of the last manual transmission pickup trucks made, period. 1/2 tons had all gone auto a while before, as had Ford and Chevy with the 3/4 and 1 tons. Now they’re all automatic.

You won’t, not new anyway. I bought one of the last manual transmission pickup trucks made, period. 1/2 tons had all gone auto a while before, as had Ford and Chevy with the 3/4 and 1 tons. Now they’re all automatic.
I know. I was referring to buying things that are not as popular with other people for hopefully a better price. Like the MT Mazda 3 I have. As a chemist, I like doing my research, buying what I need, but no more. I have never been a car flipper. I buy and run it into the ground. The only thing that I hate more than buying is selling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ted

Zeldman
a solid GM man...
I have a half ton Ram diesel. Very nice truck, but I’d recommend reading up on the EcoDiesel main bearing failures before buying one. Note: I’m not saying don’t buy one. Just make sure you know what you’re signing up for. New diesels are nothing like the old diesels that earned the reputation for reliability and longevity.

I'm with you Morgan 3820 on that 2WD point. My one requirement though is limited slip differential on my trucks.

I've seen 2wd limited slip go where a 4wd can't.... limited cases maybe. One particular time was in snow in a parking lot. My friend's 4WD Nissan would spin but my other friend's 2WD Isuzu would go with little issue.

I had a 2WD nissan that did not have a limited slip rear end at the time, but didn't have it that day in the snow. Once in that truck though I could not pull out of my parking space...it would just spin. No movement. I got out and looked.... both tires on my side sitting on absolutely DRY pavement! WTF..... checked the passenger side...front wheel high and dry, but the rear was sitting on a small patch of ice not much bigger than the tire. That is why I will not ever again buy a standard diff on a truck if I have a choice.

Some time before that, I had a little tiny Chevy Luv truck with limited slip that was an older version of that Isuzu in my earlier story. I went through many a muddy rutted roads with comparative ease, roads that 4x4's even have trouble.

I remember another time just a couple years ago I was at the storage lot where I keep my motorhome. Basically an unimproved field and it had rained a lot. Something happened that I've seen happen a few other times times....this time, a guy with an old boat over next to the woods was trying without luck to get that boat pulled out with a Ford 4x4. I watched him for awhile....trying to rock it out. He would spin forward two wheels diagonal (one front and the other side back, I forgot which sides). He would spin backwards the other two wheels. If he got out to check it would sure look like all 4 where spinning since now all 4 were half buried. I went over....in my 2WD Silverado with street tires and offered to tow him out :) ...he declined.
Now I know he didn't have his hubs locked...but I'm not sure if that truck even has that(?) I have no idea how they are equipped these days since I haven't owned 4x4 in several decades now. Regardless...I thought it was a funny event.
(& for the record, I was going to pull him from higher ground, I would have got stuck too where he was)

The $5k premium you pay will be mostly repaid when you sell it, in a normal market. Fuel costs more as you generally have a lower gear ratio, even in 2WD mode.

This market is insane. I bought my 17 F250 for $48k and can sell it tomorrow for $65k. I won't as I would have to buy another at the inflated prices.

As for 4WD....

I never a 4WD until I lived in Ohio and it snowed a lot.

I will not own a 2WD as 4WD handles adverse weather better. We only get snow once or twice a year (or I drive to snowy areas). I do drive in the mud and loose terrain several times a year.

All tires get replaced if you have a side wall puncture. (Same as AWD)

Higher maintenance costs (transaxle).

Lower fuel economy.

DEF

I view it the same as having a turbo on my airplane.... if you can afford it, do it.

I have a half ton Ram diesel. Very nice truck, but I’d recommend reading up on the EcoDiesel main bearing failures before buying one. Note: I’m not saying don’t buy one. Just make sure you know what you’re signing up for. New diesels are nothing like the old diesels that earned the reputation for reliability and longevity.

Thanks, I am aware, GM 6cyl Duramax has early model problems as well. Fortunately, my finances will make me wait a couple years before buying, so hopefully all the problems will be worked out. Hopefully....

We have been waiting for a tradesman trim Ram 5500 Cab&Chassis for 8 months while Dodge dealers are getting some of the standard fare back on the lot. At some point, the excuse of 'all the chips are stuck in a container off Long Beach' gets a bit old.

II've seen 2wd limited slip go where a 4wd can't.... limited cases maybe. One particular time was in snow in a parking lot. My friend's 4WD Nissan would spin but my other friend's 2WD Isuzu would go with little issue.

I had a 2WD nissan that did not have a limited slip rear end at the time, but didn't have it that day in the snow. Once in that truck though I could not pull out of my parking space...it would just spin. No movement. I got out and looked.... both tires on my side sitting on absolutely DRY pavement! WTF..... checked the passenger side...front wheel high and dry, but the rear was sitting on a small patch of ice not much bigger than the tire. That is why I will not ever again buy a standard diff on a truck if I have a choice.

That comparison isn't entirely fair, though. A 4x2 vehicle with a limited slip differential should be compared against a 4x4 that at least has a rear limited slip. It's also like comparing a 4x2 with good snow/all terrain/mud terrain tires vs. a 4x4 with bald highway mileage tires.

Now, you're right. A limited slip makes an enormous difference. I often passed Jeeps in ditches with my rear wheel drive V12 Jaguar. Limited slip rear end, good all season tires. But the difference is that those Jeeps were probably driven by people who didn't know how to drive, had bad tires, and they probably had open differentials.

My Ram (and my '04 Ram I had) both have what Chrysler calls an "anti-spin" differential. It's a joke. Essentially it's an open differential from a stop, and will only do some sort of limited slip once you're moving. With my 4x4, I just flip the switch if I have traction issues and keep moving. But, it's a dumb system that I don't believe was done for any reason except cost savings (which, it's an optional feature, so even dumber). If I ever have cause to tear into the rear end, I'll put a proper limited slip in.

Eh, unless you’ve got locking axles, 4WD is pretty much just on-demand AWD.

That comparison isn't entirely fair, though. A 4x2 vehicle with a limited slip differential should be compared against a 4x4 that at least has a rear limited slip. It's also like comparing a 4x2 with good snow/all terrain/mud terrain tires vs. a 4x4 with bald highway mileage tires.

Now, you're right. A limited slip makes an enormous difference. I often passed Jeeps in ditches with my rear wheel drive V12 Jaguar. Limited slip rear end, good all season tires. But the difference is that those Jeeps were probably driven by people who didn't know how to drive, had bad tires, and they probably had open differentials.

My Ram (and my '04 Ram I had) both have what Chrysler calls an "anti-spin" differential. It's a joke. Essentially it's an open differential from a stop, and will only do some sort of limited slip once you're moving. With my 4x4, I just flip the switch if I have traction issues and keep moving. But, it's a dumb system that I don't believe was done for any reason except cost savings (which, it's an optional feature, so even dumber). If I ever have cause to tear into the rear end, I'll put a proper limited slip in.

I don't think fairness has any place in it ( I really try to discourage my kids for thinking in terms of "fair") but yeah you're right.... but it illustrates a certain "truth" I think....
... this is really an assumption on my part....that I'll bet the vast majority of 4x4 owners...maybe not farmers and rural folks, but at least a huge majority of the urban assault vehicle drivers I see in the city....and buyers think that if the put in in 4 wheel mode that all 4 tires spin and the thing will go anywhere.

I don't think fairness has any place in it ( I really try to discourage my kids for thinking in terms of "fair") but yeah you're right.... but it illustrates a certain "truth" I think....
... this is really an assumption on my part....that I'll bet the vast majority of 4x4 owners...maybe not farmers and rural folks, but at least a huge majority of the urban assault vehicle drivers I see in the city....and buyers think that if the put in in 4 wheel mode that all 4 tires spin and the thing will go anywhere.

100% correct. That’s why my Jag passed Jeeps I ditches in the snow. :)

Well. This urban assault F150 driver can just pull my 4x4 knob out and lock the rear. I can't lock the front, but neither can those rear wheel drive cars. Interestingly enough, in a modern F150, there isn't too much need for it. The truck will automatically apply brake resistance to the spinning wheel so that the other wheel can have traction. I've never seen a case where actually locking my rear axle made a difference over the oem simulated locking.

If I were buying another one, I wouldn't pay extra for an electronic locking or limited slip rear axle. The standard "simulated" locking works good enough in the real world IMO.

At one point late last year, Ford had 60,000 Super Duty's waiting on modules. GM still has a couple of lines shut down, or running at greatly reduced rates due to module shortages. There's probably close to a million GM vehicles on the road with some engine and body functions disabled waiting on modules.

Back