New Girl Scout cookie - feedback

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
Girl Scout cookies are out. We went to a hockey game last night and one of the families at the tailgate we were visiting had just picked up 8 cases before the game. She didn't intend to sell them, but someone made the suggestion and out they came. She sold 7 of the 8 cases that night. Not quite as good as the girl a year or two ago who sold cookies outside the marijuana dispensary in Colorado, but still taking advantage of a good market.

There is one new flavor this year. "Adventurfuls" are described as a brownie inspired cookie with caramel creme and a touch of sea salt. Please allow me to translate - a salty, chocolate colored, dry, crumbly, shortbread cookie with some kind of brown sugar creme on top. I rank these just below the "Lemonades", which is to say, near the bottom of everything. If you think you'll like them, get one box and split it with a crowd. We each had one cookie and then passed them to the college student who will eat anything. It's not 2pm yet, so he isn't up to give us his feedback.

There's a second cookie I have not had, but apparently it's not new, I've just never noticed it before. "Toast-Yay" was described to me as "like Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal" and I passed. The picture struck me as being another dry, crumbly, cinnamon flavored shortbread cookie. Can someone confirm?

I still say stick with the classics - thin mints, tagalongs if you like coconut, and peanut butter patties.

Even the thin mints aren’t like the thin mints back when I sold them.

No graham crunchie things? I guess they're not a thing, because the girl scout that came to my door was about eight stories tall and a crustacean from the plezozoic era.

Over priced cookies and very little of the profits go to the girls out troop selling them. I refuse to buy them anymore. My daughter was a Girl Scout when younger and the pressure that the organization put on the troops and girls in the troop to sell is incredible. They also only got a very very small percentage of the sales back to the individual troop to use for activities. If you want to help a local Girl Scout out you are better off giving them a $20 donation to the troop rather than buying 4 boxes of cookies.

Over priced cookies and very little of the profits go to the girls out troop selling them.

Here's the breakdown (from the Girl Scouts of Western PA web site):
img.jpg

So the troops get a little less than a third of the profit.

Here's the breakdown (from the Girl Scouts of Western PA web site):
img.jpg

So the troops get a little less than a third of the profit.

that chart is a bit misleading. They include the cost of the “rewards” the girls get for selling so many boxes (think small trinkets and such) and the include bonuses if the troop reaches insanely high number of cookies sold. When my daughter participated they sold right around $3000 in cookies. Her troop got just under $120 for doing so.

I was a cub scout / boy scout volunteer when my son was in it. Same for them....high pressure and low payback
they may not be as good as in the past, but at least the girl scouts have a product that people still enjoy somewhat at least!

On of my daughters is still doing GS. We haven't got our cookies yet but the way her troop does it, we parents just buy their allocation/quota of cookies and then she sells what she can to "pay me back". In my opinion, the kids don't really get a whole lot out of the experience, & I'm quite frankly embarrassed by the premise that "I can't afford to send my kid to camp, so I need them to go out and fund raise under the guise of their gaining sales experience"...so I like the way my daughter's troop does it. She can sell some, we can eat some, and I encourage her to gift some to friends and neighbors.

Last edited:
My only experience selling is our cub sprout troop used to sell Krispy Kreme donuts on Saturdays (door-to-door). We had even less ROI on them that the GS cookies. My mother ended up being the Camp Fire Girl peanut liaison for a couple of years not realizing it meant a tractor trailer was going to show up at our house and dump off several hundred cases of peanuts and all the local dens would come over and get there's to sell.

Not quite as good as the girl a year or two ago who sold cookies outside the marijuana dispensary in Colorado, but still taking advantage of a good market.

A friend of mine, his daughter sold GS cookies years ago. She would get her 18 year old sister to wear her GS uniform and go sell on the college campus... :lol::lol:

The cookies are what pays for the buerocracy at the regional and national level. Those lawyers gotta eat too.
If it wasn't for the cookies, the GS organization would have to charge each girl another $200/year for admin overhead. I mean someone has to create those 8 page consent forms and reams or policies. Oh, and someone has to pay for those frivolous lawsuits against the boy-scouts for admitting girls and cutting into the cookie sales.....
My daughter is about to age out of the org. I think she'll stay close with the group of girls in the troop even if the affiliation with the organization falls away.

I was a Girl Scout and benefitted tremendously from the program. Of course, that was more than 60 years ago, when we could do really fun (read "now considered risky and therefore forbidden") stuff. The two most lasting experiences: A correspondence I struck up with a soldier in Vietnam after our troop sent a box of books and he wrote back to thank us. None of the other girls wanted to write to him, but I did. No, it did not end with us getting married and living happily ever after--I never even met him--but I did eventually learn he survived the war. But he told me a lot about the war, and it was eye-opening for a 15-year-old; to this day, I remember his picture and how young he looked (he was 18). The other was a backpack trip with burros that I went on every summer. On each trip we covered some serious territory (I ended up hiking more than half of the John Muir Trail on those trips) and I became a de facto counselor because I was already an experienced outdoorswoman (girl).

Thanks for the PIREP... COREP? I'll stick with the usual Samoa, Tagalong and Thin Mint order.

Even the thin mints aren’t like the thin mints back when I sold them.

perhaps .... but I can still down a sleeve of thin mints (frozen or room temperature) in one sitting without batting an eyelash (or is the phrase: just to stay in shape...)

perhaps .... but I can still down a sleeve of thin mints (frozen or room temperature) in one sitting without batting an eyelash (or is the phrase: just to stay in shape...)

I think it's very polite of the cookie company to package the thin-mints in the sleeves to indicate the correct "serving size".

Same with Fig Newtons.

I was told that due to supply chain disruptions there is a Nationwide shortage of Advntrfuls. We only receive our initial order ;-)

Keebler Grasshoppers aren't quite the same as the thin mint, but in a pinch they'll do:

51kHBH0iDhL._SL1000_.jpg

DSC_0511.JPG

Bomb-shelter rations.

That’s what Girl Scout Cookies are good for.

Very long shelf life. Baked year-round, and stockpiled till they are sold all at once. Then they’ll keep a good long while after that.

I’ll take one fresh-baked cookie, any kind, over a whole carton of bomb-shelter rations.

Bomb-shelter rations.

That’s what Girl Scout Cookies are good for.

Very long shelf life. Baked year-round, and stockpiled till they are sold all at once. Then they’ll keep a good long while after that.

I’ll take one fresh-baked cookie, any kind, over a whole carton of bomb-shelter rations.

I'll take that deal. I'd be happy to make a few dozen fresh-baked cookies for you... just bring a few dozen cartons of thin mints.

Made prestale at the bakery so they don't get any worse sitting around.

Trefoils.... just sayin.

I no longer buy'em because if I eat one GS shortbread cookie, I'll eat the whole sleeve with my coffee. So when it comes to GS shortbread cookies, as Otis Campbell famously said: "I seen temptation coming, but it seen me first!"

Back