Seeking Advice - Student Asking for Letter for Adderall Usage

Skid

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Skid
I am no longer an active CFI, but recently had one of my former students who passed his PPL and looking to buy an aircraft receive pushback from the FAA regarding his Adderall usage prior to training. If I understand his story correctly he stopped using it 90 days prior to his medical date, but disclosed it to the AME (oops).

So I'm not entirely sure what the current situation is, but apparently he has 60 days to respond to an inquiry by the FAA. His written letter states the reason he took it, how he's off it, and is obtaining records from the prescribing doctor.

Apparently the AME and obviously himself is asking me to write a letter stating I observed no weird behavior or anything out of the ordinary that would compromise safety during training.

Will this letter make any difference? Any other suggestions on what I do? Stay out of it? I genuinely want to help as he was one of my best students, but also want to approach it wisely.

Thanks

Last edited:
Skid, they wnat to know that the candidate learns at the usual rate and can multitask like any other student.....manage the radio, to pattern chores, etc SIMULTANEOUSLY.

Understood, I noticed no issue with that, and he was arguably my best student. Not to mention he was off the medication apparently for 90 days prior to even flying. Curious what the FAA actually wants to know in his particular case, and if my recommendation letter holds any weight at all.

Understood, I noticed no issue with that, and he was arguably my best student. Not to mention he was off the medication apparently for 90 days prior to even flying. Curious what the FAA actually wants to know in his particular case, and if my recommendation letter holds any weight at all.

He was an excellent student, he did well, they asked for it, why wouldn't you just write a truthful letter and give it to them? It will take you 5 minutes.

Here I'll start it for you.

To whom it may concern:

Mr xxxxx was a primary student of mine, I trained him through his successful check ride for a private pilot certificate. While he was in my presence I saw no deficiencies in his ability to learn how to fly, his execution of simple and complex flight tasks. His ability to plan, organize and execute a successful flight was demonstrated to me many times. He displayed great ADM and attention to detail. I do not take recommending a student to the private check ride lightly, Mr. xxxxx was an excellent candidate and passed his check ride with flying colors.

I never could have imagined the need to write this letter for Mr xxxxx, he is arguably one of my best students. He is a capable, conscientious pilot.

Sincerely,

Mr Skid.

Great, that's all I needed. Thanks!

Understood, I noticed no issue with that

If he had no trouble multitasking you have to wonder what he was taking the adderall for. It's not a subtle medication...

How did he get his original 3rd class if he disclosed the adderall? That’s on the no fly list.

Dr B can correct me but 90-days off the med helps with the special issuance, I believe. It doesn’t negate the deferral due to past usage (and whichever diagnosis resulted in that prescription).

I thought it requires a psychiatrist to undiagnosed ADHD, and take a CogScreen test?

I thought it requires a psychiatrist to undiagnosed ADHD, and take a CogScreen test?
No. Neuropsychologist (HIMS grade who has access to federal pilot norms). You have to be off meds for 90 days to be considered, and have a negative urine test immediatly after for stimulants (gotta do it without pills and prove it.).

0-89 days off= denail
91-366 days off = can be considered for special issuance only.
>366 days can be considered for full issuance.

But whether one succeeds or not depends entirely on how you score compared to the decile matched scroes of know aviatiors. That is why you can't use a community Psychologist: no access to the federal norms for pilots.

He was an excellent student, he did well, they asked for it, why wouldn't you just write a truthful letter and give it to them? It will take you 5 minutes.

To whom it may concern:

Mr xxxxx was a primary student of mine, I trained him through his successful check ride for a private pilot certificate. While he was in my presence I saw no deficiencies in his ability to learn how to fly, his execution of simple and complex flight tasks. His ability to plan, organize and execute a successful flight was demonstrated to me many times. He displayed great ADM and attention to detail. I do not take recommending a student to the private check ride lightly, Mr. xxxxx was an excellent candidate and passed his check ride with flying colors.

I never could have imagined the need to write this letter for Mr xxxxx, he is arguably one of my best students. He is a capable, conscientious pilot.

Sincerely,

Mr Skid.
Actully, Paul that's missing one critical phrase: "multitask".

To whom it may concern:

Sincerely,

Mr Skid.

Very Eloquent. You are an excellent writer.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back