Just Received Denial Letter

AAQ

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AnotherPoster
I am currently under the wing of an HIMS AME as I try to complete my medical with a history of substance abuse. I have done all the things (2yrs sober, HIMS Psychiatrist, HIMS Psychologist, everything). I have had my packet with the FAA since late last year and it was shown scanned into the system in early October.....

However I received a denial letter today saying I have "SUBSTANCE DEPENDANCE".... well yeah. And that they denied my unrestricted class 1 medical (never thought I was applying for that). They also denied a SI Class one but said they would "REVIEW MY REUQEST" for a SI if I would just send in a HIMS Packet with (x) information included.....

I did, over 3 months ago.

Am I reading into this letter wrong, or is this just a flat out denial? Or is there something else I should have done?

What was the substance abused and what sparked you to to have to report this?

What was the substance abused and what sparked you to to have to report this?
Multitude of things, and I went to treatment. I reported it as to not open myself up to liability for lying on a federal form.

Well... I hope to get to the point where it will be worth it. I don't want to go my entire career looking over my shoulder because I lied on a form, I've seen enough headlines of pilots being prosecuted for it. But for now, it is an uphill battle. Seems I have to go see the HIMS Psychiatrist again, I saw him in late August 2021. The FAA no longer sees that as current I suppose. What a waste of $2,500 that was. Spend all that money for these reports and by the time the FAA reviews your case, it's irrelevant data. But I should have expected such and may have gotten my hope up that I would get through this process without any cuts, how naïve. At least there is a path forward they are offering me?

Last edited:
I am not sure that it won't happen again, and again, and again. But... I can only control what I can control. They ask for a "CURRENT HIMS PHYCHIATRIC EVALUATION" and I comply because I am currently sitting on the ground with no medical. I wish it was as simple as a phone call to the right guy and a couple handshakes but for the time being, it is not.

What makes you think that won’t happen again?

And again?

And again?

Yes it's painfully obvious that the FAA doesn't really give two ****s how the real world operates and just wants to follow some govt mantra.

I've read hear calling your congressman to get on their asses may help.

I suspect much better than the alternative, which involves potential jail time and fines.

my point is either situations for him is a **** sandwich. He recognized he had a problem, got help, and is fine now.

Where as there are in fact alcoholics flying airplanes right now that did not seek help and were able to get a medical.

You HIMS AME should be on the phone right now.....if he's not.....well the thing speaks for itself..... sigh.
What do you suggest I ask/tell my HIMS AME? I don't want to overstep my boundaries.

I've told the story of one of my former students. Two years of HIMS testing and doctor appointments over a single conviction decades in the past. Got his SI 3rd class with the understanding he would be able to get a standard 3rd class at the end of 6 months. When he went to get his new medical, they referred him back to HIMS for another two years of therapy and testing. Their system is designed to wash out everyone, without reason. His HIMS AME told him this was their veiled way to push him off on Basicmed.

Last edited:
I've told the story of one of my former students. Two years of HIMS testing and doctor appointments over a single conviction decades in the past. Got his SI 3rd class with the understanding he would be able to get a standard 3rd class at the end of 6 months. When he went to get his new medical, they referred him back to HIMS for another two years of therapy and testing. Their system is designed to wash out everyone, without reason. His HIMS AME told him this was there veiled way to push him off on Basicmed.

they should have just **** canned the whole needing a 3rd class as a pre req for basic med....what a bunch of ********

they should have just **** canned the whole needing a 3rd class as a pre req for basic med....what a bunch of ********

IIRC, there was one congress gremlin who insisted on that provision. If it hadn’t been added we’d have nothing. @Brad Z might remember how that all transpired better than I do.

Basic Med as originally implemented was as close to the congressional mandate as possible which forestalled any possible regulatory interference. Now the rest of it is fair game. For example, the safety pilot silliness is out for comment now and probably will be approved in late February. Understand that the FAA approved a broader plan several years back but the AMA used political pressure to kill it at the DOT level.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back