Past Steoird Use

B

Bodybuilder333

In a past life I was a competitive body builder. I did use anabolic steroids, specifically Fluoxymesterone. I used it for a dozen or so cycles (over the course of 10 years). Luckily I have experienced no adverse effects. I want to get a medical and obtain my private pilots license. Is this considered “past substance abuse”?

If you are the on,y one that knows about it, it’s up to you if it was substance abuse.

My worthless opinion:

Fluoxymesterone isn’t what they have in mind when they ask about drug abuse. I’d keep mum about it. Some people take antibiotics that weren’t prescribed for them. They don’t worry that they’re abusing drugs, though in some sense they are.

*sits down and waits for an expert*

In a past life I was a competitive body builder. I did use anabolic steroids, specifically Fluoxymesterone. I used it for a dozen or so cycles (over the course of 10 years). Luckily I have experienced no adverse effects. I want to get a medical and obtain my private pilots license. Is this considered “past substance abuse”?
My recommendation is to read the pertinent regulation for a third class medical:

14 CFR 67.307(b)
(b) No substance abuse within the preceding 2 years defined as:

(1) Use of a substance in a situation in which that use was physically hazardous, if there has been at any other time an instance of the use of a substance also in a situation in which that use was physically hazardous;

(2) A verified positive drug test result, an alcohol test result of 0.04 or greater alcohol concentration, or a refusal to submit to a drug or alcohol test required by the U.S. Department of Transportation or an agency of the U.S. Department of Transportation; or

(3) Misuse of a substance that the Federal Air Surgeon, based on case history and appropriate, qualified medical judgment relating to the substance involved, finds -

(i) Makes the person unable to safely perform the duties or exercise the privileges of the airman certificate applied for or held; or

(ii) May reasonably be expected, for the maximum duration of the airman medical certificate applied for or held, to make the person unable to perform those duties or exercise those privileges.

It has to be listed for sure if the use was in the past two years. Otherwise, BradZ's guidance applies.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back