What ATC sounds like to new students

I got my license at a farm airport South of Chicago. I moved to the Northern burbs to be closer to my GF now wife and went to get checked out at Priester Aviation at PWK, then PalWaukee and now Chicago Executive. PWK is a busy Delta carved out of ORDs Bravo.

Anyway, the CFI was an arrogant di . . . young kid who was irritated to fly with me. On our way back in I was asked to report 2 miles out for runway 16. In hindsight painfully obvious and standard direction.

All I heard was “6 November Yankee report two alpha one six”. I said “Say again for 6 November Yankee?”

Same. I look at CFI he said “just repeat the instruction back to him” and he keyed the mic and read it back.

He was so irritated, maybe disgusted?, by me. I told him I didn’t understand what 2 alpha 16 meant. Was that a procedure or something?

He raised his voice and clarified OUT FOR. Report 2 miles out on the approach to runway 1 6!

Well, I felt dumb. I’ve been pretty comfortable on the radio since flying out of PWK but I’ll never forget that flight.

I remember having a pounding headache from my DCs too. But . . . It’s all overwhelming until you experience it.

Last edited:
I got my license at a farm airport South of Chicago. I moved to the Northern burbs to be closer to my GF now wife and went to get checked out at Priester Aviation at PWK, then PalWaukee and now Chicago Executive. PWK is a busy Delta carved out of ORDs Bravo.

Anyway, the CFI was an arrogant di . . . young kid who was irritated to fly with me. On our way back in I was asked to report 2 miles out for runway 16. In hindsight painfully obvious and standard direction.

All I heard was “6 November Yankee report two alpha one six”. I said “Say again for 6 November Yankee?”

Same. I look at CFI he said “just repeat the instruction back to him” and he keyed the mic and read it back.

He was so irritated, maybe disgusted?, by me. I told him I didn’t understand what 2 alpha 16 meant. Was that a procedure or something?

He raised his voice and clarified OUT FOR. Report 2 miles out on the approach to runway 1 6!

Well, I felt dumb. I’ve been pretty comfortable on the radio since flying out of PWK but I’ll never forget that flight.

I remember having a pounding headache from my DCs too. But . . . It’s all overwhelming until you experience it.
Kid was just inexperienced. And a dick.

I can relate to this. Having been in the northern part of our country (US) most of the time, I got a job in the south and was flying towards CHA when I was handed over to the tower. I could not understand a word of what he was saying. I looked across to my wife who was right seat and she stared back at me. Ha ha. Had to get used to the south.

Yeah, but where's the oreo cookie thing.

The HARDEST part of international flying... understanding the UK controllers!

Not only hilarious, it’s TWOOOOOO! BWAHAHAHA

As a Mackem…you can google that…sounds like my northern cousins and hilarious

That is hilarious. When I learned to fly, I found my extensive experience in public speaking (I am a professor, for one thing, and therefore used to speaking before large audiences, i.e., students) was a real bonus, as I was never intimidated by the radio. I even got a note early in my flying career from the local DPE praising my radio technique, which made me feel pretty good. I don't remember having too much trouble learning the incoming lingo, but that may be just bad memory. But there have been times when I've had to ask controllers to "say again?"

This skit reminds me of a "conversation" I tried to have with a deeply Scottish postdoc at a noisy party. I probably understood 1/10 of what he was saying. I smiled and nodded a lot. I had the same issue with an Australian I met who was raised in the Deep North (pretty much equivalent to our Deep South in terms of accent strength). At least I was talking to him in a quiet setting, but there was a significant lag time between when he spoke and what he said finally registered with me.

That's right, everything bad in the world is because people got woke. ;)

We are not talking bout everything, we are talking about SnL. The 18-49 viewership has tanked. Most people, including moderates are tired of the rhetoric. People watch for comedic relief, not to be indoctrinated into the party. The SnL season opener drew 3.5 million viewers. What’s that, 1% of the US population? They are also down 50% from previous seasons. It’s just not funny anymore to anyone but the hyper port side fanatics. They should rename it Saturday Night Rhetoric sponsored in part by Facebook, The Michel Moore Foundation and The Squad.

I dunno. It isn't just Trump they pick on, if that is your beef. They are not too kind to Biden either. They mock whatever and whoever they think needs mocking.

It’s the big picture. Their ratings over time are congruent with their dive into partisan smears regardless of the party color. People don’t want to be entertained with hot button topics. They are looking for social issues relief, not reinforcing a certain political view. The phenomenon is also currently reverberating in the movie industry as well as many other broadcast sources. Ask Seth Rogan how he feels about his latest offering in entertainment.

I dunno. It isn't just Trump they pick on, if that is your beef. They are not too kind to Biden either. They mock whatever and whoever they think needs mocking.

First of all, I'm NOT being political here, just trying to interject an analysis.

I completely agree with you. I think in Trump's case, mocking him was politically motivated. I think in Biden's case, I actually believe the major media thinks he's an idiot, even though they generally otherwise side with him politically.

Back