How long to schedule plane?

My previous club had that rule... if the person on the schedule was a no show after 30min (1hr for reservations over 8 hours), you could take it. I did that once, but it was a cloudy day and I was pretty sure he wasn't going to show up.

I'd encourage you to do it. I was nervous about it too but it's really no big deal. An arrow is decent traveling plane.

@kaiser where do you rent from?
I use a flight school (who also have some leaseback planes), and I’m a member of one club (non-equity, monthly fee, etc) - both at KDPA. I’m real close to 06C but there’s basically zero availability. Both “clubs” are reasonable about block rental vs flight hours. They both also have policies outlining minimum fees based on block rental. Both always give guidance that as long as I don’t fly to Milwaukee for a week (~60nm), I’m safe. I do try to avoid renting the Part 141 school 172s.

For booking planes, I don’t have a set science. Flying KDPA KENW KHUF and return on Saturday (maybe), I booked the plane 7am to 3pm. If I’m running behind I’ll log onto the scheduler and make adjustments. Weather delays are always forgivable (probably less relevant for day trips). I don’t have my rental block really timed to a T. I spend 15-30 minutes preflighting, I do have to account for long taxi if KDPA is operating on the 02s.

I think us NW Chi burbs PoAers just need to pool our resources and go in on something together… just saying…

but if not…
I guess I could get checked out in the new to them Arrow. That’s more open on their schedule but . . . At 47 having never put gear down in 27 years, I’m not sure I want that memory risk.
Totally go for the Arrow checkout!

@kaiser aren't you renting that PC12 at TEA?

Seriously, though. Weren’t you talking about stepping up to some $$$ hardware.
I was thinking of their PC12, but only as a one time splurge to get a little bit of turbine in the books with a CFI. My planned op budget wouldn’t get me very many hours per year in it. Besides, $$$ is all relative, right? I’ll likely be starting my search soon so I’ll have a better idea where my mission will fall.

I was thinking of their PC12, but only as a one time splurge to get a little bit of turbine in the books with a CFI. My planned op budget wouldn’t get me very many hours per year in it. Besides, $$$ is all relative, right? I’ll likely be starting my search soon so I’ll have a better idea where my mission will fall.
Wait..... they have a pc12 for rent? What does that cost?

Last I heard ~1 to 1.2k /hr wet (w/o CFI). But it might be different now. I haven’t called to verify or anything. I think you also have to be a member and a known quantity.
Shoot. Still cheaper to make 2 trips with the Lance. Well, we can dream, can't we?

Last I heard ~1 to 1.2k /hr wet (w/o CFI). But it might be different now. I haven’t called to verify or anything. I think you also have to be a member and a known quantity.

That would be pretty inexpensive PC-12 time. I work for 2 Pilatus operators. They both charge around $1600/hr for the PC-12.

Back