Redefining ugly

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
No, not me (okay maybe me)
271588622_7113438068668114_9110225761081083824_n.jpg
The EMSCO Arctic Tern was an American Amphibious float plane designed by Charles F. Rocheville for the Shell Oil company. The aircraft was intended for use for observation/survey duties. The aircraft first flew in 1933, powered by a 300hp Pratt & Whitney Wasp Junior engine. The Arctic Tern used a wing from a Lockheed Sirius and the tail from a Lockheed Vega.
The three seat Arctic Tern featured a single seat open cockpit mounted in the small fuselage. The other two crew members sat in enclosed cabins built onto the floats. The tail was supported on twin booms.
A problem was soon identified during initial flight tests, where under certain roll angles, fuel would stop flowing to the engine. (This was a problem that was inherited from the Lockheed Sirius). When this happened the engine would stall. The Arctic Tern was destroyed during an emergency landing after this had occurred and the pilot was unable to restart the engine. The aircraft contained only the pilot, Charles Rocheville, who survived with serious injuries.

Well. That’s interesting

what the heck is it?

Was easily distinguishable not by its looks, but by the sound it made.
"mmmmmmmmmmmBackstreet Boys!"

doubt anyone gets the reference

A problem was soon identified during initial flight tests, where under certain roll angles, fuel would stop flowing to the engine. (This was a problem that was inherited from the Lockheed Sirius).
Interesting…with all I’ve read about Lindbergh and his Sirius, I’ve never seen anything about that issue.

There are cute ugly planes like the Seabee.

And there are butt ugly planes like that one.

A problem was soon identified during initial flight tests, where under certain roll angles, fuel would stop flowing to the engine. (This was a problem that was inherited from the Lockheed Sirius). When this happened the engine would stall.

Oh, dear. The fuel system reached the stall angle of attack...

..if we're talking ugly, then the Soviets were good at making some 'unconventional' designs

I present you the M-15 Belphegor - a fitting name as one of the seven princes of hell
upload_2022-1-13_17-51-51.png

They weren't all awful though.. the AN-2 has some lovable elements and the TU-154 and AN-225, AN-22 may be the coolest planes ever built .. imho. and who doesn't love a blue afterburner??
upload_2022-1-13_17-55-30.png

Designer Charles F. Rocheville had a long and fascinating career in aviation, from WW1 to the space age.

"His final invention, developed in the late 1950s was a product known as; “micoseal.” This was patented in the early 1960s and has remained the standard for dry spacecraft lubricants used on virtually all spacecraft."

http://eaavintage.org/december-2015-mystery/

The OP looks like a Lockheed Sirius with elephantiasis…

I would love me a Transavia PL-12 Airtruck.!!

s96wq6cqt4321.jpg

upload_2022-1-13_19-45-31.jpeg

Of course I would have to change my name to Mad Zeldman...

Re: the Airtruck.

Some neat engineering, obviously built as an Ag plane, it is constructed around a stainless steel hopper that is part of the structure and sits on the C.G. behind the pilot. The pilot sits atop the engine giving him good visibility and some degree of protection since Ag planes like to make regularly unscheduled landings while working. The separate twin booms allow a vehicle to back up very close to unload into the hopper. A passenger or two (loaders, mechanics) could be carried in a small cabin in the rear of the fuselage (you can see the window in the big picture) when the hopper was empty. And those stubby winglets provide a convenient place for spray booms while controlling the airflow for efficient dispersal. If practicality has any influence on what constitutes beauty. It is IMHO at least rather attractive.

Last edited:
In the movie Beyond the Thunderdome didn't that plane take off with like 6 adults and several children?

In the movie Beyond the Thunderdome didn't that plane take off with like 6 adults and several children?
Liquids are heavy. An Air Tractor 800 has 890 gallons of tankage, not including fuel. Filled with water which is 8 pounds per gallon, that's 7120 pounds. Equivalent to more than 41 "standard" 170 pound people. It has a waiver to operate at over 12,500 pounds gross with a single pilot.

If it's weird it's French
they built some truly spectacularly weird cars, my favorite being the Citroen DS's off center single spoke steering wheel

..but the planes are relatively tame, there's not a single thing wrong or out of place with the TBM.. and the Fouga Magister is up there on the 'cool' factor

If it's ugly its British. If it's weird it's French. If it's ugly and weird it's Russian.
There are things in Falcons that I’m convinced were done because Hawker did the opposite, and vice versa. But the French did manage to infiltrate the British airplanes…The Pierre Brothers are memorialized in every Hawker 125 above the Copilot’s head…there are switches there for L. Pierre and H. Pierre.

I did a title search for 'ugly' and to no surprise, @Mtns2Skies was top of the list! :cool: and I didn't know where else to put this.

so there is a contest to win a harley. I'm going to win it, but when I do I'm immediately going to throw it in the garbage. or maybe trade it for a pilatussssssssssssssssss's beacon (because they prob cost about the same). I know I've been out of the harley loop for a while, but this thing is FUGLY (to be clear, fugly for a harley, not for a motorcycle).

1694211045003.png

1694211056031.png

That looks like a hot wheels version of a Honda.

I did a title search for 'ugly' and to no surprise, @Mtns2Skies was top of the list! :cool: and I didn't know where else to put this.

so there is a contest to win a harley. I'm going to win it, but when I do I'm immediately going to throw it in the garbage. or maybe trade it for a pilatussssssssssssssssss's beacon (because they prob cost about the same). I know I've been out of the harley loop for a while, but this thing is FUGLY (to be clear, fugly for a harley, not for a motorcycle).

View attachment 120459

View attachment 120460
The AMF Harley Logo

Back