Microsoft updates

Rushie

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Rushie
Seem to have crashed a bunch of coworker’s machines today. Now my laptop wants to update and I’m scared to let it. Are any of you having issues with Windows 10 updates today?

Seem to have crashed a bunch of coworker’s machines today. Now my laptop wants to update and I’m scared to let it. Are any of you having issues with Windows 10 updates today?

have you backed up your laptop?

edit: tpyos

Last edited:
The MS updates and their policy is about to drive me to the dark side, but right now, I’d still rather buy avgas...

Found this. Look's like it's a big one. Haven't seen anything about it doing bad things. Thanks for the warning tho. I usually check for updates everyday. I didn't this morning. I'm gonna wait awhile and see what news comes out about this. I've got automatic updates turned off. https://www.windowscentral.com/janu...ves-windows-11-and-10-security-updates-abound

Found this. Look's like it's a big one. Haven't seen anything about it doing bad things. Thanks for the warning tho. I usually check for updates everyday. I didn't this morning. I'm gonna wait awhile and see what news comes out about this. I've got automatic updates turned off. https://www.windowscentral.com/janu...ves-windows-11-and-10-security-updates-abound

How did you turn them off?

My only option is to postpone or schedule until they decide my time is up, and their updates will start @ will.

Had to hard reboot (read Power switch) four times after the update because it was locking up the keyboard and mouse. I have recently been investigating the possibility of switching to Linux because of the issues with MS. I have never really been a Microsoft fan, but it was what we used at work.

From what I gather, it bricked machines and MS pushed out fixes or uninstalls or whatever the hell it does to fix a big mistake and by after lunch they were fixing themselves, at least that’s what one of my coworkers told me. Meanwhile I was over in the next town trying to get my iPad battery replaced. So hubby comes home tonight and before I can stop him he’s letting his machine update and it does okay. I put my laptop in sleep mode and when I returned the damn thing had updated. It is working but FireFox destroyed itself. Shortcuts don’t work and all my settings are lost. I don’t know if Windows did that or if FireFox also tried to update itself.

I despise the modern world.

Had to hard reboot (read Power switch) four times after the update because it was locking up the keyboard and mouse. I have recently been investigating the possibility of switching to Linux because of the issues with MS. I have never really been a Microsoft fan, but it was what we used at work.

I DESPISE Microsoft. But have to have it because the people I work with use it. I would love to go to Linux but never got around to it, not sure I have the energy anymore to mess with technology that deep.

Yeah, I spent about half my career supporting one version or another of Microsoft crap. I think they reached their peak reliability around NT 4. They're like the Mcsoftware company, if that company didn't mind giving 10% of their customers food poisoning each day. Linux isn't anywhere near as miserable as it used to be. You'd be fine with it. The only problem I have is that weirdly a lot of open source software is still built around Windows, so I still mostly run Windows on this dual boot laptop.

Even for critical patches, we still run through a series of test pc's before rolling out to the enterprise. And still, last month they screwed up one of the Access core features around file locking, so we had to roll that one back. No idea what that company costs the US economy every year, but it's in the billions.

I DESPISE Microsoft. But have to have it because the people I work with use it.
So… I run the IT infrastructure for my company, and that includes buying and supporting all of the laptops. We’re all using Microsoft products. word, Outlook, Excel, Death By PowerPoint, Teams, and so on. Nearly all of the machines we use are Windows laptops…

except the CEO, the COO, the board chairman and half the BoD, and our CISO half or more of the time. And a few developers. They all work just fine together. The only thing that causes heartburn is that the Mac Outlook app blows, so most Mac users use the 365 web client.

Having used a MacBook for a few months myself, I’ll never claim THEY are without problems either. But they’re different problems, and Mac fans seem willing to put up with them.

Wow, thought it was just unlucky me. Outlook told me how wonderful it’s new look was in the morning and by later afternoon I couldn’t send emails. My private tech support heard the symptoms and said “oh boy, you can really mess something up if you’re not careful with those”. He never called back and by late evening it seemed to have fixed itself.

Bastages.

For work, I mostly use my personal Chromebook. It just works. Bought it in 2020 for about $200, and it's more reliable than any Windows computer I've had since Win2k.

Welp, this morning my VPN on the desktop is hosed. Did a little googling and yes, the Windows update did that, and there is no fix or workaround, at least according to that article. Going to have to try to uninstall it.

I have them all the time. I get up in the morning and my laptop is in this limbo state where it was supposed to reboot but gets stuck. Sometimes I have to go as far as pulling out the battery to get it to work again.

(And yes, I have tried at least a dozen ways of supposedly letting me control the timing of updates).

I have them all the time. I get up in the morning and my laptop is in this limbo state where it was supposed to reboot but gets stuck. Sometimes I have to go as far as pulling out the battery to get it to work again.

(And yes, I have tried at least a dozen ways of supposedly letting me control the timing of updates).

It seems each successive incarnation of Windows takes more and more control away from you.

It seems each successive incarnation of Windows takes more and more control away from you.

well, of course, the dweeb's at microcrap know more than anyone about what software you should be running.

A good case for the proposition that you should save any documents that are new, or have you amended, before dozing off.

A good case for the proposition that you should save any documents that are new, or have you amended, before dozing off.
One of the huge improvements in MS apps over the years is their default setting to auto save your work frequently, including preserving unsaved new docs and spreadsheets if the system is rebooted before you’re done. Their OS can be aggravating (as is Apple’s as well) but the Office apps are not all bad.

One of the huge improvements in MS apps over the years is their default setting to auto save your work frequently, including preserving unsaved new docs and spreadsheets if the system is rebooted before you’re done. Their OS can be aggravating (as is Apple’s as well) but the Office apps are not all bad.

But they broke that. You can now only autosave to OneDrive or SharePoint.

Yeah, there's that. For important stuff I click the save button frequently when doing important stuff. I don't really know what the 'auto save' time is set at.

Agghh! Don't know much that OneDrive thang other than I've seen something about it and the option to turn it off. What's this SharePoint thing? I don't like the sound of it. Can it be turned off? Don't get me started on the 'cloud'. That mofo be like turned off. I think. I'm probably missing something about it.

really? Just when you think that they can’t get worse… smh

Found the culprit, it is update KB5009543. I manually uninstalled it and that fixed the VPN issue. I was told that Microsoft has already issued a patch to reinstall the fixed version or whatever. I got booted back off the VPN but my IT guy says he thinks Windows was reinstalling the corrected version. Now in the VPN and it seems stable. He says MS major screwed up and it was world wide. Unintentional but terrifying when you think what they could do intentionally.

Now to fix the FireFox problem on the laptop which might also have something to do with the Windows update, it seems Windows eliminated my default browser, trashed the shortcuts, and lost my settings. Or maybe that was Mozilla who knows. I don't know anything about this stuff.

Yeah, there's that. For important stuff I click the save button frequently when doing important stuff. I don't really know what the 'auto save' time is set at.
Type some, hit Ctrl-S. Type more, hit Ctrl-S again. Rinse and repeat.

The only thing that causes heartburn is that the Mac Outlook app blows, so most Mac users use the 365 web client.

Wow--Outlook for the Mac must really be horrible--because I find the Office 365 web client to be so very, very terrible that I've vowed to only use it if I can't lay my hands on the superior alternative of stone tablets and a chisel.

Wow--Outlook for the Mac must really be horrible--because I find the Office 365 web client to be so very, very terrible that I've vowed to only use it if I can't lay my hands on the superior alternative of stone tablets and a chisel.

So it’s not just me? I thought I was going demented. I find Office 365 a matrix of confusion.

There are compatibility problems with a few of the newer CPU/chipset combinations that cause instability or outright nonworking conditions in both Windoze and Linux.

With Linux, the newest 5.15.X kernels have overcome those issues. With Microsoft, you are ON YOUR OWN!

Nothing a few weeks of waiting and a reinstall won't fix! :mad:

I'm forced to use Windows because I need it for CAD and a few other programs. I keep saying one of these days I'll set up Linux on an old laptop for web browsing and the like, but I never seem to get around to it. That said, I'm typing this on a brand new laptop that arrived Monday with 11 preinstalled and so it seems to work pretty good.

I'm forced to use Windows...
Another option is to run Windows on a Linux machine within VitualBox. Like you, I only use Windows when there's a program that will not run on another OS. Fortunately, the list is short.

The MS updates and their policy is about to drive me to the dark side, but right now, I’d still rather buy avgas...

Went to shutdown today, and there’s the little orange dot on the power down selection. I powered down and left, tomorrow might a good day to migrate....

Went to shutdown today, and there’s the little orange dot on the power down selection. I powered down and left, tomorrow might a good day to migrate....

Yes, as I closed the VPN I noticed the little orange dot is there and it invited me to update again. After everything I’ve been through the past couple of days I don’t want to let it. I just told it to go to sleep.

Edit: It updated itself overnight while it "slept" and has now broke my VPN again. Damn Microsoft into Hell.

Edit Edit: And another thing, the message on the login screen was "Windows 11 brings you closer to the things you love". So they're pushing Windows 11 on me, but when I go into Windows update to uninstall the stupid thing again I get this message, "This PC doesn't currently meet the minimum system requirements to run Windows 11"

I just bought this thing and you're nagging me to go buy a whole new system and upgrade to Windows 11. And Windows 11 will NOT "bring me closer to the things I love" what you really mean is "Windows 11 will increase the level of mass surveillance we conduct on every aspect of your life and make you even more dependent on our technology."

Last edited:
Back