Instrument Lights

Skymac

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Justin
Looking at dumping the post lights in a 172 and using the overhead dome in conjunction with either NuLights, Fiberlights, or a under glare shield led strip. Anyone prefer one brand/setup over the other?

I have nuLites, they are pretty darn good

I like my cockpit as dark as possible for VFR night flight. Helps to see outside better.

I had installed NuLights in my previous Grumman Cheetah. Easy install and really liked how they lit up each individual instrument. Installed on the six pack.

I just redid my panel and used nulites on 4 of the 6 pack gauges (the other 2 are G5's). I also did a new glareshield and a strip of led lights installed underneath that. This setup beats the old overhead red light on my 172 hands down.

Being able to dim is key. I used Nulites on everything that didn't have internal illumination. My original panel was somewhat bizarre. They only put post lights on things I could have done without during flight (the clock). The six pack didn't have any. I ferried the plane back when I bought it partially at night. I could turn the clock post light at the altimeter and the VOR indicators were internally lit. It's amazing how well you can fly partial panel like that (it was VFR). You hold the airspeed constant which pretty much means your altitude is also steady and keep the needles centered. I'd periodically take out my flashlight and confirm the altitude was holding.

I just redid my panel and used nulites on 4 of the 6 pack gauges (the other 2 are G5's). I also did a new glareshield and a strip of led lights installed underneath that. This setup beats the old overhead red light on my 172 hands down.

Would you be able to share a picture of your glareshield led strip?

Back