Hello from Raleigh

CallTowerOnLanding

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kurt
Greetings, all. My first post, and with it, an introduction.

250 hour PPL, currently training for IFR. Most flying from KRHV, San Jose, but now from KTTA near Raleigh with Chatham County, NC as my home. Member of EAA 1114, AOPA; a regular at Sun N Fun and Air Venture, Oshkosh.

And no, I haven't (yet) been asked to "Call the tower upon landing"... ;D

Welcome. A fair number of Raleigh area pilots here, several at TTA.

Greetings to you as well and welcome.. I fly out of RDU primarily and occasionally TTA..

Greetings, all. My first post, and with it, an introduction.

250 hour PPL, currently training for IFR. Most flying from KRHV, San Jose, but now from KTTA near Raleigh with Chatham County, NC as my home. Member of EAA 1114, AOPA; a regular at Sun N Fun and Air Venture, Oshkosh.

And no, I haven't (yet) been asked to "Call the tower upon landing"... ;D
Welcome to the joint. Lotsa North Carolinians here. Get together and do breakfast runs and stuff. Have fun.

I lived most of my life around there. My great-great-grandfather built the first “skyscraper” in downtown Raleigh (all of 4 stories, but was the tallest building there for 33 years). I first took flying lessons at RDU. But now I’m in Texas and I’m not coming back. :) Welcome!

...My great-great-grandfather built the first “skyscraper” in downtown Raleigh...
At the recent SE lunch, someone mentioned Charlotte recently approved skyscrapers in the 80-100 stories range. The tallest right now is 60 so a sizable increase if one is ever built.

Welcome! I fly out if TTA - great little airport with lots of activity and friendly people, Where in Chatham county are you living? Me too. (You can PM if you don't want to be that detailed in public). And yes, 1114 member.

Last edited:
Welcome to POA and NC. I’m in the Charlotte area. As already noted, there are some good POA folks in your area. Enjoy!

Welcome as well! I head your way several times a year as I have two children at Chapel Hill. I plan to hit Low and Slow Smokehouse at KJNX this Friday to see what it's all about.

I updated my profile - I'm out of TTA as well, boy does it get busy on nice weekends. I think last weekend, Saturday was beautiful and there were something like 4-8 planes on frequency for 2 hours, about half pattern work, half arrivals / departures.

BTW, Wings of Carolina here. Mark instructs with Executive Flight Training.

I updated my profile - I'm out of TTA as well, boy does it get busy on nice weekends. I think last weekend, Saturday was beautiful and there were something like 4-8 planes on frequency for 2 hours, about half pattern work, half arrivals / departures.

BTW, Wings of Carolina here. Mark instructs with Executive Flight Training.
With Wings of Carolina with about a dozen, Executive with more than a half dozen, Odyssey with 2, the Elite Cirrus operation, it's no surprise it gets relatively busy here, even without it's increasing popularity for transient jets and turboprops. Plus, it seems to have a lot of support from the local community, such as this recent story in a county paper.

BTW, I probably teach more these days in OPAs (other people's airplanes). I generally don't do primary or rating training, although I have agreed to take on a primary student for the first time in about 15 years – mostly due to the airplane shown in the linked story.

Welcome as well! I head your way several times a year as I have two children at Chapel Hill. I plan to hit Low and Slow Smokehouse at KJNX this Friday to see what it's all about.

Wait wait wait… there’s a restaurant at JNX???? We had all our airplanes there until we moved to Texas in 2016. When did this happen? Why couldn’t it have been there when we were?!?!

This restaurant is new.. It sits on top of Blueline Aviation.
Its not bad..

Myself and @eman1200 went, he may give another PiRep on the place.

Last edited:
...Its not bad...
I was finally able to break through the beehive of aircraft in the KJNX pattern today to eat at Low and Slow. The setting, facility and servers were pretty nice. Food was kinda mediocre. I'll go again but I'm not chomping at the bit to do so.

The training activity at JNX is heavy. I've never been there when there weren't at least 3 planes in the pattern.

Low and Slow is ok but kind of souless. PikNPig reopens in May! If you like seafood head out to W95 and have lunch at Howard’s!

The training activity at JNX is heavy. I've never been there when there weren't at least 3 planes in the pattern.

And what a pattern it is! I am convinced they teach the B-52 3 engine out pattern because it takes an hour to get 3 touch and goes in and they make big bucks!

...PikNPig reopens in May!...
I'm very much looking forward to it! I flew aerial reconnaissance over BQ1 on the way home to see how construction was going. It looks like they trimmed the trees on the approach to 31. Can anyone confirm that? Some land on 13 and takeoff on 31 despite unfavorable winds b/c of those trees.

I'm one of those apparently few people that doesn't enjoy seafood. My selection is limited to shrimp so long as there's enough cocktail sauce and blackened fish so long as it's heavily blackened. So clearly I'm trying to avoid any hints of the underlying food :) I had a spicy popcorn shrimp the other day that was really good. I plan to head somewhere this Sunday for lunch but haven't yet selected a location. There was a relatively recent thread on here which I planned on using as my search basis.

And what a pattern it is!...
I literally gave up trying to enter the pattern the first time flew there. I was tight on time, orbiting, and there were like five planes in the pattern.

I'm very much looking forward to it! I flew aerial reconnaissance over BQ1 on the way home to see how construction was going. It looks like they trimmed the trees on the approach to 31. Can anyone confirm that? Some land on 13 and takeoff on 31 despite unfavorable winds b/c of those trees.

I'm one of those apparently few people that doesn't enjoy seafood. My selection is limited to shrimp so long as there's enough cocktail sauce and blackened fish so long as it's heavily blackened. So clearly I'm trying to avoid any hints of the underlying food :) I had a spicy popcorn shrimp the other day that was really good. I plan to head somewhere this Sunday for lunch but haven't yet selected a location. There was a relatively recent thread on here which I planned on using as my search basis.

If you like a good burger Simply Suzanne at Blue Ridge (KMTV) is excellent. Try the bacon cheeseburgers! Everything on the menu is good.

Simply Suzanne's without a doubt is a good stop at KMTV...huge flounder sandwich, club sandwich or burger...each are enough food for 2 people.
Waiting for BQ1... hope it opens as advertised.
Now I need something to eat :).

Alrighty. Simply Suzanne's it is! Safety pilot just committed. We can fly the ILS into Anson on the way up and then the LOC at Blue Ridge.

Back