Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Digits
Like:
WTF is this prop?
Screenshot_20220108-190726_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20220108-190821_Facebook.jpg

Why is there pressure gauges for the engine mount & airframe?
Screenshot_20220108-190800_Facebook.jpg

Who thought this was panel layout was a good idea?
Screenshot_20220108-190810_Facebook.jpg

What other choices made a 90's Rover V8 seem like the best engine option?

Screenshot_20220108-190829_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20220108-190858_Facebook.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220108-190849_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220108-190849_Facebook.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 22
Automatic transmission. 300hp on 7gph. Sounds like this dude and Raptor Guy are related.

My question is....you interested?

That rover engine was 225hp from the factory and is a descendant of the original Rover V8 (as opposed to the BMW or Ford tech they eventually got). That’s a big no for me.

If one is going to go off the deep end like using this engine or that prop, might as well go full on and get something counter rotating like the TU-95 Bear.

…300hp on 7gph. Sounds like this dude and Raptor Guy are related…
I can believe 7gph at 120mph, that’s Skyhawk territory and this one is ~280 cu in.

Last edited:
Pressurized engine Mount... likely pressurized the tubes, if a crack develops the pressure will drop. Heard of it before but not seem it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

My question is....you interested?
Yeah it looks like the perfect plane to go spread my buddy's ashes in.

Pressurized engine Mount... likely pressurized the tubes, if a crack develops the pressure will drop. Heard of it before but not seem it.

Never heard of that one. Looks like the airframe must be cracked, then :hairraise:

That prop though! What in The French toast is up with that prop?!

Oh and it's a belt drive gear reduction, in case you were wondering.

I think I figured it out...a company called ivoprop makes ultralight props. They advertise that you can convert from a 3 blade to a 2 blade in the field if you damage a blade. They also make a 6 blade that seems to be targeted at airboats. So it appears our hero here removed 2 blades of the 6 blade prop, and made a custom spinner to match. Because reasons.

How does this guy plan on shifting gears on climb out?

You and me don't know. :)

I put it in the "if it was such a great idea it would have been done already" category.

WTF is this prop?
The blades are offset to reduce noise and supposedly provide increased efficiency. Several helicopers use similar for the tail rotor.
Why is there pressure gauges for the engine mount & airframe?
As mentioned crack detection as the mount tubes are charged with a gas usually nitrogen. They also use BIM indicators as well which give a simpler go/no-go indiction and are checked on pre-flights/daily inspections like on some older Sikorsky M/R blades and other OEM tubular airframes. A little factoid, because of that type system a common trick to look for cracks is to charge the system with freon and use a freon detector to find the crack.

How does this guy plan on shifting gears on climb out?
Not saying that this is a good idea. But this is a motorcycle engine and transmission. A race shifter will allow to just bang gears up at full throttle

edit: I was referring to Sonex in the link. Rover is auto, isn’t it?

Last edited:
That's amazing it has racked up 900 hours airframe and engine. I am guessing the logbook entries are like, "Feb, 22, 2010 - work performed. Found airworthy."

Send him a $5,000 deposit via venmo and he'll explain it all to you.

The blades are offset to reduce noise and supposedly provide increased efficiency. Several helicopers use similar for the tail rotor.

As mentioned crack detection as the mount tubes are charged with a gas usually nitrogen. They also use BIM indicators as well which give a simpler go/no-go indiction and are checked on pre-flights/daily inspections like on some older Sikorsky M/R blades and other OEM tubular airframes. A little factoid, because of that type system a common trick to look for cracks is to charge the system with freon and use a freon detector to find the crack.
I'm learning.

And thinking about it, in 2003, an all aluminum v8 was not so common, so I suppose that explains the engine. Maybe the builder's not as crazy as I thought. The instrument panel is still inexcusable though, and that engine/redrive combo.... not for me.

I bet the ammeter is front & center because if the alternator quits that old Buick gets quiet.

It looks like there's a vacuum gauge on the lower left, but I don't see any vacuum instruments. Maybe that serves the purpose of a manifold pressure gauge?

Maybe @Ted could buy it and diesel swap it.

OK, to play devil's advocate, not saying I like his design considerations, don't know the builder and don't have an idea of his capabilities... but this is the heart and sole of the reason for the experimental world to exist.

Today everyone thinks of RVs and Kitfoxes and use the experimental category to fly with pre-made kit airplanes to reduced operating costs and have less regulation dictating what avionics are used etc, no problem with that.

But the real reason for experimental was to allow the small time hobbyist / small businees to... get this... experiment with their hobby!! with off the wall ideas and concepts. Most prove out to not be so great, but once in a while a gold nugget is found.

There are risks in trying to go against "accepted norms", but if you go in eyes wide open with contingency plans in place and understand the risks, go for it as long as you are not endangering bystanders.

What seems odd to us, may have perfectly good engineering reasoning behind it. Like the prop config, while odd for SEL... you'll find it on many certified helecopter tail rotors... so there may be a legitimate reason for the config such a quieter, reduce resonance... I don't know.

The Wright brothers built a radical machine for it's time. Imagine if social media existed back then what all the balloon guys would be saying.

I believe quite a few planes have used a Rover V8 conversion. With aluminum block and heads it's one of the lightest V8s around.

The prop as actually two 2-blade props sandwiched together. It's a lot simpler, more durable, and less expensive than a 3 or 4 blade prop. I've seen it done on some ultralights, but never a larger aircraft. With the V8 engine he may have more power than a 2 blade prop can handle within the available prop diameter.

The pressured frame is often done in high end aerobatic planes. I've never heard of it elswhere, but I can see that it could be useful in a bush plane that regularly takes a beating.

Now that Sonex... just wow.

So. The seller claims on FB that the prop is anti harmonic

I've seen that bearhawk for sale for probably a year or more on different websites. I don't think the price has changed either. He just keeps relisting it.

Might be a case of "honey, I'm trying to sell the plane, honest".

Back