Things I Learn in IFR Training - Who Knew?

How do you know? I thought your eyes were supposed to be closed :p
Because the engine reved up and down, positive and negative Gs all around, the G suit he had me put on kept inflating, I became weightless……..

I once flew with a navy guy for a check out. I remember precision but definitely not smooth
lets say he desired a course correction to the right.....
it would be full right aileron NOW, held till a 20° bank was achieved (or whatever his target bank angle would be
then neutral aileron
then when approaching the desired new heading
Full left aileron NOW, held till wings level
then bang, neutral aileron, heading nailed
flying with a purpose!

I would like to have flown more with that guy though. Think I would have learned a few things

"Tally Ho" and "No Joy" are not acceptable responses when confirming other aircraft in sight or other aircraft not in sight.

230 or so hours and today is the first time someone (CFII) said not acceptable only after I asked him.

"Tally Ho" and "No Joy" are not acceptable responses when confirming other aircraft in sight or other aircraft not in sight.

230 or so hours and today is the first time someone (CFII) said not acceptable only after I asked him.

Yea, had to break myself of that. Still slips out occasionally as does other Naval Air terms... Push time, abeam gear, waving it off etc.

Depends who says it. Not ok for a civilian pilot trying to sound like a young military one. Is ok for an airline pilot with levity. They can say whatever they feel like.

VOR radials and GPS track don't always (or often) align. Radial 281 could be a GPS/ground track of 280, 285, 290.. etc, depending on VOR declination
Good point
I will add though that track is still going to be a more reliable of aircraft's overall direction than the heading bug, and for what works and what does. The localizer gets very sensitive as you approach, those big old school heading bugs hardy provide the degree of accuracy needed. If you find track 285 works on a 281 heading (for declination) then 'bug' that mentally and follow that.. knowing that left or right of that track will aide in getting back on

I will add though that track is still going to be a more reliable of aircraft's overall direction than the heading bug, and for what works and what does. The localizer gets very sensitive as you approach, those big old school heading bugs hardy provide the degree of accuracy needed. If you find track 285 works on a 281 heading (for declination) then 'bug' that mentally and follow that.. knowing that left or right of that track will aide in getting back on
I just get out my whiz wheel and compute a WCA for the approach. ;)

(really ****ed off a sim instructor when I did that one time.)

When flying a VOR approach, if I use both the CDI and the GTN GPS as back up / verification, I basically fly in random Brownian Motion tracks. When I just use the GTN for the DME function and only pay attention to the needles and not the magenta cursor (and of course the Attitude, DG, etc.) it's night and day.

Fun fact 2) For the "distance to" (using the GTN for DME function) it works if I hit "Direct to" and enter the VOR. IF instead I create a flight plan and put the VOR as the first and only line, it won't give me anything. I think you need two points in the flight plan to get the distance, bearing, etc.

Last edited:
Probably the last thing I learned as an IFR student. When you pass your check ride, the DPE punches a literal hole through your license. I thought it was just an add on and you kept your original.

So I now have - just like ppl - this paper while waiting for the new plastic to come in the mail.

Probably the last thing I learned as an IFR student. When you pass your check ride, the DPE punches a literal hole through your license. I thought it was just an add on and you kept your original.

So I now have - just like ppl - this paper while waiting for the new plastic to come in the mail.
Awesome! Congratulations!

Reactions: WDD

Congrats!

When you pass your check ride, the DPE punches a literal hole through your license.
You're supposed to hold it up to your eye and use at as a replacement for your "student" foggles. :)

Congrats!

Damn. This was pretty good thread.:) Now look what ya went and done.

Congratulations on the new ticket. I have a respectable collection of 3 hole-punched pilot certificates, although I know someone with multiple type ratings and a much larger collection. The DPE doesn't actually have to punch the hole. It is, as I understand it, legally invalidated by the issuance of the temporary airman certificate. I had to find my own hole punch when I got home from my initial commercial check ride so I would have a properly hole-punched PPL for the collection.

DPE pulled out his punch and cored out the hologram seal.

EDIT: I just realized I have a legitimate excuse to buy a new license replica wall plaque.

Last edited:
My DPE didn't punch a hole in my license. Does that mean that I didn't pass my check ride after all? Wait, has been 120 days yet?... Oh boy:confused2:

Also, congrats @WDD.

When flying a VOR approach, if I use both the CDI and the GTN GPS as back up / verification
Although the opposite is permitted and adds some benefits with the latest avionics, this is a good idea since the only time you will probably ever fly a VOR approach for real is if GPS is unavailable.
Fun fact 2) For the "distance to" (using the GTN for DME function) it works if I hit "Direct to" and enter the VOR. IF instead I create a flight plan and put the VOR as the first and only line, it won't give me anything. I think you need two points in the flight plan to get the distance, bearing, etc.
Unlike VOR and NDB, GPS needs something to go to. You can put just the VOR in the flight plan but you still need to tell it to go there.

before D-> and after
upload_2022-1-21_7-17-4.png

Last edited:
Although the opposite is permitted and adds some benefits with the latest avionics, this is a good idea since the only time you will probably ever fly a VOR approach for real is if GPS is unavailable.

It's a conundrum. If I loose GPS, I loose the GTN which is the only source for DME in the planes to which I have access. This means I can't fly the VOR Approach as I won't know where the step down fixes are, the DP, the fix for the hold, etc.

It's a conundrum. If I loose GPS, I loose the GTN which is the only source for DME in the planes to which I have access. This means I can't fly the VOR Approach as I won't know where the step down fixes are, the DP, the fix for the hold, etc.
I suspect MON won't require much in the way of DME because of that conundrum.

No, you will be able to fly a VOR approach, as they’re designed without the need for DME. You won’t be able to do a VOR/DME approach, or one that says “DME REQUIRED in the notes.

For example, Twin Falls, ID, (KTWF) has both a VOR 8 and a VOR/DME 8 approach.

Last edited:
Back