New Chief Counsel of the FAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are proud of all sort of things but what has to do with anything ? Do you list all that stuff on your resume ?
Try to stay on topic or don’t bother …

You asked me "what exactly are you proud of?". I was just answering your question, and disputing your implication that I would have no cause to be proud because there is no "accomplishment" (your word).

You didn't ask me "would you list first XXXX on your resume?" That is a different question, with a different answer. The answer is I don't currently list anything like that on my CV, but in the future, if I was the first woman to do something amazing, it would depend on what that thing was.

No one ever questions the process when a straight white male gets the job, but when a minority gets the job, questions and snarky comments abound.
Nobody is questioning why a minority got the job, they’re questioning why two supposedly unimportant life characteristics were worthy enough to be included in his bio for none other than what appears to be virtue signaling on their part. I don’t give a rats tail who ends up with the job, as long as they were hired because they were the best candidate for it.

I don’t know this guy and I am in no position to judge him in any anyway.

My original comment was mostly related to various “handlers, do-gooders and other assorted virtue signalers” who are in business of muddying the waters with irrelevant ******** to the point where it actually ends up hurting the very people they profess to help.

Nobody is questioning why a minority got the job, they’re questioning why two supposedly unimportant life characteristics were worthy enough to be included into his bio for none other than what appears to be virtue signaling on their part. I don’t give a rats tail who ends up with the job, as long as they were hired because they were the best candidate for it.
Agreed, But that is often not what happens.

Agreed, But that is often not what happens.
Yeah, seems that way. Of course I don’t know anything about the qualifications of the other candidates, but this day and age, “fitting the bill” will get you further down the road than if you don’t. That said, his previous experience looks pretty impressive on paper.

I bet some of you really go nuts when you hear how Vice President Kamala Harris is described. Woman. Black. Asian. Indian.

I bet some of you really go nuts when you hear how Vice President Kamala Harris is described. Woman. Black. Asian. Indian.
That’s not the problem - I work with lots of women , some Indian , some Chineese , some Bulgarian …and enjoy ( almost ) every minute of it.
The problem is the fact that she was picked for her position precisely because she is a woman of color .. and that’s not just my conjecture … even her boss openly stated that this was his guiding principle in the first place.
So again, hurray for merit based promotions.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/30/joe-biden-to-pick-woman-of-color-as-running-mate-by-august/

Last edited:
Seems like some of us are really happy to have something to be outraged about. ;)

We are finally judging by the content of the character not the color of the skin. We don’t focus on race or sex or who you like to do. Nobody is paying that any attention. The VP is of color? I didn’t notice. I thought she was picked because of her outstanding performance as a district attorney, her strong popularity in the primaries, her superior oratory skills, and her warm compassionate, sincere demeanor.

Where's the green font?

So....

About those logging approach questions. . . .

and what the heck is it with the whole “common purpose “ stuff?

I thought she was picked because of her outstanding performance as a district attorney...[emphasis added]

What ever else you want to say about VP Harris, that statement is objectively false.
I doubt there are many here that would disagree that the statement is false. We understand sarcasm, you see.

Nauga,
who questions motivations

Ask him for a clear and reasonable definition of “compensation.” Like maybe it only means money or tangible goods, not flight hours or “good will” or whatever other crap some bureaucrat may invent. Maybe decide that things that aren’t subject to income or capital gains taxes aren’t compensation for FAA regulatory purposes?

African American and LGBT - ticking all the right boxes so let’s say hurray for merit based promotions.

And this is the sad consequence of the focus on DIE. It causes people to question someone's qualifications. His accomplishments, which I'm sure are extensive, should be highlighted, not his personal characteristics. This actually harms the very people it is supposed to be helping, as if someone at his level needs helping.

I thank God every day that I happen to know the exact circumstances under which I got my first position, and know that I was not hired "just" because I'm a woman. I had a chance to prove my merit without that hanging over my head, but still had others express the invective (because that's what it is) that I was hired "just" because I'm a woman (these were people who were unaccomplished and, therefore, jealous). The kind of statement you made makes me furious, but I also understand where it comes from.

If you read a "first XXXX to..." type of announcement about a person, and immediately jump to the conclusion that they must not deserve to be there, then... well, it says more about YOU than it does about the person in question.

-- First woman, and first American, to winter-over for the AMANDA experiment

Having been the first woman in dozens of different contexts (I'm a geologist and old--not many women in geology when I started), I agree in principle, but where does it stop? This is one problem with the focus on DIE. Everyone wants to be a first, everyone is aggrieved. The expansion and subdivision of aggrieved groups has become pretty crazy. I never highlighted that I was the first woman in all the things I was the first woman in because that is not important to my accomplishments or who I am. And, in any case, younger women geologists don't want to hear it, so the idea that it somehow inspires young women is bunk.

years ago I read a quote from Bill Russell, (iirc, the first black coach of the Boston Celtics), a sportswriter made some comment about how much progress Boston had made wrt race relations... Bill responded with something like: we'll have made real progress when it isn't noteworthy.

I wish I could find that quote...

I can give you an equivalent quote. Back in 1980, I taught paleontology, and all three of my teaching assistants were women. A male faculty member commented on how much progress we've made to get to that point. I said, "We'll have really made it when nobody notices."

DIE?

Dépense Intérieure d'Education (French: Domestic Expenditure of Education)
Deutsches Institut für Erwachsenenbildung (German Institued for Adult Education)
Devlet Istatistik Enstitüsü (State Statistics Institute)
Differential and Integral Equations
Departamento de Ingeniería Eléctrica (Spanish)
Dictionary of Indian English
Dipartimento di Ingegneria Elettrica (Italian: Department of Electrical Engineering)
Debugging Information Entry (data structure)
Defence Information Environment (Australian military)
Designated Investment Exchange
Detroit in Effect (electro artist)
Deadly Incredibly Elites (gaming)
Da Imperial Executors (gaming)
Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik GmbH
Death's Imperial Entourage (gaming guild)
Disconnect In Error (Cable TV industry)
Design-Induced Error
Direct Inspection Effort
Design Interface Engineer
Driving Information Extractor

Google is not helping me here!

Last edited:
Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity.

I bet you go really nuts when you hear how she got her first job in public service.
We are finally judging by the content of the character not the color of the skin. We don’t focus on race or sex or who you like to do. Nobody is paying that any attention. The VP is of color? I didn’t notice. I thought she was picked because of her outstanding performance as a district attorney, her strong popularity in the primaries, her superior oratory skills, and her warm compassionate, sincere demeanor.
It seems some here think it'd be appropriate for her official bio to mention she was sleeping with the married man who gave her her first political appointment.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity.
I think the "preferred" initialism is DEI. But if we start talking about that, I'm going to get banned.

The thread has drifted far beyond the original subject and well into Spin Zone-like discussion.

Closed per MC vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back