Panel upgrade: Who gets old avionics?

dfw11411

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
dfw11411
This is my first major avionics upgrade. The quote doesn't mention credits or who "owns" the older stuff. I'm assuming I get to resell it, but I'd like to know what's normal operating procedure for the industry. Is the avionics shop assuming they get anything they replace and it's baked into the pricing?

I think the "standard" is you get it back.

I'm going through this now. My quote specifically calls out "All Removed Equipment will be returned to customer." But in the emails with him he mentioned he could give me a quote to buy back some of the old stuff. I think he works with a used avionics reseller. I'm not expecting much if anything from that though.

I recently did an upgrade and the shop offered me $500 for my transponder. I declined and was able to sell it on a forum for $1100. So it may be worthwhile to see what stuff is selling for privately. For low value items, it might be more convenient to let the shop keep them.

Thanks for all the advice.

I often offer to buy some of the removed equipment, but I often say something like, “you can probably get $1,000-1,500 if you sell it, but I can only offer $750.” I would have to make something on it to have it on my shelf until I can sell it. We’ll over half the time they sell it to me so they don’t have to mess with it, but they understand the value.

I often offer to buy some of the removed equipment, but I often say something like, “you can probably get $1,000-1,500 if you sell it, but I can only offer $750.” I would have to make something on it to have it on my shelf until I can sell it. We’ll over half the time they sell it to me so they don’t have to mess with it, but they understand the value.
435cf56fd04cace4522eec176bd747f7--pawn-stars-reality-tv.jpg

Some of the stuff is obsolescent and becomes electronic garbage. Other stuff has minimal, but some used resale value. On occasion, the installer has offered me a good price to re-purpose a piece of equipment for another client installation.

Back