Aviation Goals for 2022

Fly at least four times a week.

Land at at least three new airports every month.

Gut my entire electrical system and re-do it.

Maybe sell the RV-8A and get something with four seats that’d be more practical and better for passengers.

Nail every approach and landing within 50’ of the selected touchdown point.

1. Learn to make acceptable landings consistently in my Beech. I’m still dropping it in too often.
2. Finish updating the plane and have it painted.
3. Get a little practical use out of the plane. Take a few trips with my wife, use the plane to visit @2-Bit Speed and @SkyChaser once in a while, visit other family, etc.

2022 goals
Get some xc in out west
100+ hours flying
Commercial checkride (already did the written)
Loose some weight, be more active
FOI/CFI written (just starting cracking the books open)

Future plans (think these will push into 2023)
Multi-engine rating (after I get the commercial)
CFI checkride

I like lightweight goals. My primary goal is to fly somewhat regularly. My stretch goal is to come up with a realistic plan for getting my instrument rating.

Fly at least four times a week.

Land at at least three new airports every month.

Gut my entire electrical system and re-do it.

Maybe sell the RV-8A and get something with four seats that’d be more practical and better for passengers.

Nail every approach and landing within 50’ of the selected touchdown point.
Is that Rv8 on the east coast by chance?

Devise a harebrained plan to come up with a way to buy a helicopter and have it pay for itself while I fly it.

Finish the never ending annual on my C-140 and pass it on to someone who will fit in it better than I.

Trade some flight instruction for food.

2022 goals
Get some xc in out west

In Boston you would be considered "out west". :) At least, when I was there in 1969 it certainly was.

My goal is simple - fly more, much more, than I did in 2021.

Tail wheel endorsement.
Try to be a little more timely with log book updates so it doesn’t take so long.
More back country airplane camping.

Last edited:
Devise a harebrained plan to come up with a way to buy a helicopter and have it pay for itself while I fly it.

OK, which one of you leaked this to the aircraft finance vultures?

I've been getting aircraft financing offers in the mail for three days!

Cross 1000 hours
Cover and paint super cub
Regain instrument currency
4+ Angel flights
Fly to Oshkosh (potentially picking up engine on the way home)

Get my wife comfortable flying again.

And finish the -10? Or will there be a replacement mooney?
No forecast is available at this time.

My plans are definitely changing, but not sure how yet.

In 2021 I broke 100 hours in a year for the first time ever, so I want to fly at least that much in 2022.

Now that I'm back living in Wyoming after many years, I'm a short XC in the 182 to where my folks live, so I plan to finally do my tail wheel endorsement in my dad's 7CCM Champ...

I didn't post anything earlier in the thread because it's 2022 goals, and this was a 2020 goal that just ran a little long. I put about 2009 words in the daily pic thread on it.

Nauga,
and the second first flight

To fly more ,do some updating of my airplane,enjoy life.

Commercial. Then Multi commercial with instrument. Then seaplane single & multi commercial. Glider commercial?
Commercial and multi done. Seaplane ratings are not nor is glider. 2023 perhaps.

Commercial.
Get on someone's schedule to replace autopilot.
Probably get to 600 hours. (that means logging 135 next year)
Commercial won’t get done.
Did get on the schedule for AP.
Won’t likely hit 600 since the plane was down all summer.

I became the Director of Airport Operations last month and my training has since taken a pause as I’ve been head down in the new job. I am still flying, but I will not complete all of these ratings this year.

eewwww, Mr. Big-shot now. :)

CFII
Commerical rotary add-on
Hit 500 hours
Apply for USCG Direct Commission Aviator

Looks like it's going to be 1 of 4 :lol:

Might get CFII in, but USCG going to have to wait for next year :incazzato:

2022 goals
Get some xc in out west
100+ hours flying
Commercial checkride (already did the written)
Loose some weight, be more active
FOI/CFI written (just starting cracking the books open)

Future plans (think these will push into 2023)
Multi-engine rating (after I get the commercial)
CFI checkride

Commercial done
Lost 20lbs
Xc to Florida / Miami / flying into class Bravos
150+ hrs last 12 months

Trying to do multi now but cannot get instructors to respond. Thinking if I should start training for CFI or not.

Probably doing the xc out west this year.

2023 plans
CFI
Get a multi-engine airplane
Try to get some paid work as a pilot

Flying - check

Comm - was about 2-3 weeks from checkride and a 6 week maintenance (parts) issue cropped up. Needed to get it done before Sept 1, and missed the window. Now I get to build rust on all the maneuvers until January 2023. Postponed, but feels like I quit; I just can’t spare the time now. Was pretty down about it (kinda still am).

Very sobering that Wayne started this thread, had lots of discussion about retirement, finances and flying after wrapping up work THIS YEAR and has gone West.

I thought there was a thread about his passing but a simple search didn't highlight it.

Sobering. Get er done everyone.

Get ATP Multi and CE-550 Type this spring.

Fly airplanes.

Maybe MEI add on.

Fly airplanes.

Well, I got the ATP last spring and have about 250 hrs of PIC Jet time as captain of a 135 charter.

Yea, flew airplanes.

No MEI.

My plane went down for what is turning into the most expensive engine overhaul imaginable. Oil pan had to get repaired and crankshaft was bad. Four months down so far, hope to be flying in 2-3 weeks. Not sure if I can afford todays 100LL prices though.

Back