Night recency

sonnikaz

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Sonnikaz
Background: I'm working on PPL and haven't hit solo just yet; I'm also new to this forum but I've appreciated what I've been reading so I thought I'd ask a question I'd been thinking about.

Once I have my certificate, how easy is it to maintain night recency using rentals?

I believe the requirement is three (night) full stops within 90 days; but I rarely see reservations on this books for this - and I imagine there are some check in/check out logistics considerations a lot of these places have.

Do others make it a point to maintain night recency or is it sometimes a hassle?

Back when I was a renter, I made arrangements to get night current if I was going to need it. I didn’t necessarily maintain night currency.

Do others make it a point to maintain night recency or is it sometimes a hassle?
With the short days this time of year it can come in handy. I don't worry about it as I pretty much never fly at night. When I know I might, I schedule some time and knock it out. Availability in my club allows me to do this. If you're club is tight it might be more difficult to use that strategy.

Background: I'm working on PPL and haven't hit solo just yet; I'm also new to this forum but I've appreciated what I've been reading so I thought I'd ask a question I'd been thinking about.

Once I have my certificate, how easy is it to maintain night recency using rentals?

I believe the requirement is three (night) full stops within 90 days; but I rarely see reservations on this books for this - and I imagine there are some check in/check out logistics considerations a lot of these places have.

In the Northerly regions, if you fly after work, you'll probably end up night current for about half the year anyway without even trying. :)

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of pilots don't maintain night currency at all times. As for how to do it with rentals, that's entirely dependent on who it is you're renting from. The Archer I flew during training was available whenever the FBO was open. Which was pretty much 24/7 - it was only locked between 3-6:30am, and the only thing you needed from the FBO was the logbook that you wrote tach and hobbs time and amount of fuel you used. A couple of times when I went out for solo early in the morning, I'd just jot down the times and write them in the book after I got down again and the FBO was open. On the other hand, if the place closes at five or six, that'll make it difficult. So, it could be super easy to rent at night or it could be next to impossible. :D I'd suggest asking the place you're renting or planning on renting from.

Legal night currency is just for carrying passengers. You can maintain it by flying(3 full stop landings) once every 3 months (well less then 90 days is more accurate) at night which also covers you regular passenger carrying currency. Or do it "on-demand" before you need to carry passengers. It's not really that complicated to maintain.

I rent. We have a 90 day currency requirement for flying planes at our FBO(if lapsed, I'd have to go up with CFI for a few laps around the patch). I make sure that I rent plane within that 90 day period at least once and at night. This covers FBO requirement and both day and night passenger carrying requirements

In the summer, it is hard to stay current when you own your own airplane. This time of year though it should be pretty simple. Just talk to whoever you rent from.

It is generally a hassle no matter what for most of us who don't fly for work. It takes specific planning to go out an maintain night currency. Renting just adds slightly to that. Around here, that first night evening after the clock rolls back in November, I will not be alone hopping around the pattern! Also, I start with a short flight to another airport, and then knock out landings. The takeoffs and landings are the legal requirement, but real currency is needed to be safe.

Remember that it's not every 90 days but 90 days before you act as PIC with passengers on board at night. While some pilots do it regularly, others will let it go for months or even years at a time if they don't feel the need to fly at night. My last night flight was last April and the one before then was 5 years earlier. Bear in mind rust is relative and you might choose to go up with a CFI for those landing if your night experience is minimal.

Another piece is some pilots just choose not to fly at night. Personal minimums, So they just don't keep current.

Other than that, it's not a hassle at all. As you point out, you rarely see night reservations, so making one to keep current and proficient if that's your choice, is very easy.

Great information, thanks all!

I don't believe I've ever really maintained night currency. I just don't usually have a reason to be out in the evenings. I'm an early bird, dinner at 5:00, bed by 8:00 or 9:00. :sleep:

I try to maintain mine, in case a trip is extended for whatever reason, but if it lapses I don't lose any sleep over it. Just get around to it when I need to.

Being current is the 3 takeoff landings only to carry passengers. regency and being proficient is all on you. Like most things it is in your best interest to get up routinely and do some night flying. Here in NY by 1700 the sky is dark already, now summer it’s not really dark til 2100.

As previously posted, the rental policy can vary between locations. You could expect an additional night dual check out to rent for night and a dual nite checkout each calendar year at some locations. Others may have no night rental policy, others will rent with not night check out policy.

When I completed my PPL my night currency was already expired because the last night landings I did were more than 3 months prior. I ended up booking an instructor to go up as a safety pilot since it had been so long. That being said I try and go up for an evening/sunset flight every now and then. If I need it for an upcoming trip I'll ensure that I book the plane for it prior and knock it out as needed. My rental place is nice in that there is after hours access to the field.

The 90 day recency experience applies for carrying passengers only. You can fly solo without meeting that requirement.
I do my obligatory three landings at night, because it also counts for day. I like flying at night. The only thing I don't like about night is the preflight.

Also note: I never have a problem meeting currency for landings. But I rarely make night take-offs on non-proficiency flights. Since 14 CFR 61.57(b) requires take-offs and landings, I set aside an evening every three months to meet passenger carrying currency requirements.

Back