Carlsbad Caverns trip

Chandler, as linked above, owns a couple of their own cars for rentals. Last time I checked it was like $55 a day. Nice folks there, give them a shout and they can set you up. Most of the rental car business they do is either for Oil and Gas people flying in, or for the Caverns.

you probably saw it during your research but the Caverns is now by reservation only.

First time I rented from Enterprise not realizing they didn't have a relationship with the fbo so the keys and agreement were left for me in a non-fbo area. The second time I rented from the fbo. It worked well. Maybe wait until some of the covisteria dies down so you can plan a full extended weekend that includes some of the special tours. I think I knocked out half of them during my last trip and plan on someday doing the rest.

If you're in shape for a steep 1 1/4 mile walk, go down via the natural entrance rather than the elevator. Much more interesting that way. You can take the elevator back up. The caverns are spectacular, incredibly beautiful and worth the trip.
Jon

Been to Luray Caverns in Virginia as a boy. Beautiful! Never been to New Mexico.

Back in 1990 I took my son to Carslbad Caverns in our C-172 but at that time there was a dirt "landing strip", E27, in Whites City, NM which is the entrance town to Carlsbad. E27 was a "duster" strip literally across the road from a nice motel where we stayed. They had a shuttle to the caverns. The tour of the caverns is absolutely great! Unfortunately Google Earth now shows E27 has been swallowed up by the desert and is no longer on any charts so the closest place to fly is indeed Roswell.

My wife and I went to Carlsbad to visit the caverns in November. We had a tough time with rentals at first through Enterprise (no cars) and Chandler - they only allow you to use it in the local area. We wanted to visit Guadalupe Mountains as well, and they wouldn't allow it. We ended up using Turo. It was an amazing experience, and it's what we use for nearly all our trips now when available.

I'm thinking about doing a trip to Carlsbad (CNM) and a hop to ALM to see the White Sands Monument/park. I'm a flatlander and will be doing it in a non-turbo C182 or Arrow. Any good places to see besides the obvious attractions? Good places to stay?

Wife never has seen Carlsbad Caverns so was thinking about a trip over that way. Looking for any recommendations on car rental etc. Thanks.
The fellow that runs the FBO has what amounts to a museum on the second floor of pretty much every animal he has killed. Ask about it and the fellows there will be happy to give you a tour.

The fellow that runs the FBO has what amounts to a museum on the second floor of pretty much every animal he has killed. Ask about it and the fellows there will be happy to give you a tour.

Did that years ago when Chandler was there ... he did well in the oil field service business and the amount he invested in taxidermy on the second floor would buy him another jet;)

Back