Presidential TFRs

flyingpreacher

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
flyingpreacher
So I found out this last year that it is totally permissible to fly into a presidential TFR...as long as you make sure to dot all the I's and cross all the T's. Flight plan, squawk code, ATC contact, outer ring, and all that stuff. My question is regarding if you are not planning to fly into one, but near one. So here's the scenario: (see attachments for reference)

You are on an IFR flight plan from KFDK to 0W3 and the only approach at this airport is the RNAV-B for RWY 10. Looks like everything is going dandy until...a small but dense cloud jumps in front of you as you cross through 1200'. You haven't hit your circling minimums, but you pass through 1000' and hit 960' with no visual contact. You have to declare a missed approach but the missed takes you inside the presidential TFR. You have already satisfied all of the requirements (flight plan, squawk code, ATC contact, etc.) but now you are a transient flight which is NOT permitted in the PTFR. Is this a violation, or is there some loophole there? I feel like there has to be something, but it eludes me. Bonus points for FAR/AIM page/location.

Approach Plate

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 6.11.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 6.11.32 PM.png
    883.3 KB · Views: 39
I don't know. Maybe you can email the Secret Service and ask them?

No such exception exists. ATC might issue an alternate missed instruction to keep you out or you should request one.

Presumably you didn't cancel IFR, so you're still on a flight plan and still under ATC control once you go missed and re-enter controlled airspace. I don't think there's an issue here especially since we're talking about the outer ring. BTW - be a little careful about assuming you can fly through the outer ring of a Presidential TFR with a VFR flight plan and squawk - that's almost always true but I don't think it's guaranteed. Always read the TFR details before proceeding.

BTW - be a little careful about assuming you can fly through the outer ring of a Presidential TFR with a VFR flight plan and squawk \

To be clear, you can NOT fly THROUGH the outer ring, only into or out of an airport within that area.

What makes you suddenly a “transient” flight?
The fact that in order to be non-transient, by definition, your point of origin or termination must be within that section, not merely flying through that airspace (unless I've completely misunderstood that section).

The fact that in order to be non-transient, by definition, your point of origin or termination must be within that section, not merely flying through that airspace (unless I've completely misunderstood that section).
If they don’t want you flying through the airspace on a published missed approach, they’ll issue alternate missed approach instructions.

To be clear, you can NOT fly THROUGH the outer ring, only into or out of an airport within that area.

Transit operations are allowed in the outer ring, at ATC discretion:

FOR OPERATIONS WITHIN THE AIRSPACE BETWEEN THE 12 NMR AND 28 NMR AREA(S) LISTED ABOVE, KNOWN AS THE OUTER RING(S): ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATING WITHIN THE OUTER RING(S) LISTED ABOVE ARE LIMITED TO AIRCRAFT ARRIVING OR DEPARTING LOCAL AIRFIELDS, AND WORKLOAD PERMITTING, ATC MAY AUTHORIZE TRANSIT OPERATIONS. AIRCRAFT MAY NOT LOITER. ALL AIRCRAFT MUST BE ON AN ACTIVE IFR OR FILED VFR FLIGHT PLAN WITH A DISCRETE CODE ASSIGNED BY AN AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL (ATC) FACILITY. AIRCRAFT MUST BE SQUAWKING THE DISCRETE CODE PRIOR TO DEPARTURE AND AT ALL TIMES WHILE IN THE TFR AND MUST REMAIN IN TWO-WAY RADIO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ATC.

FOR OPERATIONS WITHIN THE AIRSPACE BETWEEN THE 12 NMR AND 28 NMR AREA(S) LISTED ABOVE, KNOWN AS THE OUTER RING(S): ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATING WITHIN THE OUTER RING(S) LISTED ABOVE ARE LIMITED TO AIRCRAFT ARRIVING OR DEPARTING LOCAL AIRFIELDS, AND WORKLOAD PERMITTING, ATC MAY AUTHORIZE TRANSIT OPERATIONS. AIRCRAFT MAY NOT LOITER. ALL AIRCRAFT MUST BE ON AN ACTIVE IFR OR FILED VFR FLIGHT PLAN WITH A DISCRETE CODE ASSIGNED BY AN AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL (ATC) FACILITY. AIRCRAFT MUST BE SQUAWKING THE DISCRETE CODE PRIOR TO DEPARTURE AND AT ALL TIMES WHILE IN THE TFR AND MUST REMAIN IN TWO-WAY RADIO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ATC.
I would also argue that an airport whose missed approach procedure takes you through the TFR would be a “local airfield”. It doesn’t say that the airfield must be within the TFR.

AIRCRAFT MUST BE SQUAWKING THE DISCRETE CODE PRIOR TO DEPARTURE AND AT ALL TIMES WHILE IN THE TFR AND MUST REMAIN IN TWO-WAY RADIO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ATC.

Wonder why? So if you pick up your clearance in the air, no TFR flying for you! Or is this just for departure from inside the TFR?

You could end-up transiting the Outer Ring if ATC vectors you as such…, I did this last year during a presidential TFR over Tampa. Basically the entire Tampa class-B airspace was the TFR.

I was on a IFR flight plan. They gave me vectors /airways through, but I was very much well away from the core. from my perspective it was just like any other time being IFR thru class Bravo.

Lots of aircraft getting multiple calls that they needed to check-in, seems alot of people ignoring the Class B rules and not responding on their radios. maybe they normally accustomed to getting away with it, but not that day because of the TFR.

I don’t know about taking-off from an untowered airport under that outer ring. But I imagine it would be similar to the rules for the DC-SFRA? Maybe have to call for a clearance and get squawk code before takeoff ? (Don’t quote me on that, I didn’t really research that part)

You could end-up transiting the Outer Ring if ATC vectors you as such…, I did this last year during a presidential TFR over Tampa. Basically the entire Tampa class-B airspace was the TFR.

I was on a IFR flight plan. They gave me vectors /airways through, but I was very much well away from the core. from my perspective it was just like any other time being IFR thru class Bravo.

Lots of aircraft getting multiple calls that they needed to check-in, seems alot of people ignoring the Class B rules and not responding on their radios. maybe they normally accustomed to getting away with it, but not that day because of the TFR.

I don’t know about taking-off from an untowered airport under that outer ring. But I imagine it would be similar to the rules for the DC-SFRA? Maybe have to call for a clearance and get squawk code before takeoff ? (Don’t quote me on that, I didn’t really research that part)

We flew out of Georgetown, DE (KGED), which is untowered after flying in for supper under an IFR flight plan. The Rehoboth, DE TFR was active. We got an IFR clearance and squawk code before departing by calling CD on the phone. We were in the outer ring and departed west.

It was hard to find parking when we arrived; there were several private jets on the ramp, a couple helicopters with people standing around them, and a portable radar unit. A nicely-dressed gentlemen in the FBO office looked us over as we entered and exited the building.

Wonder why? So if you pick up your clearance in the air, no TFR flying for you! Or is this just for departure from inside the TFR?

You need to have your squawk code on the ground when departing an airport within the TFR (actually within the outer ring). I don't see anything in the TFR language that precludes departing VFR with a squawk code that was assigned on the ground and having a VFR flight plan filed. Then picking up an IFR clearance in the air. But I've never done it. And since you have to call what is essentially the Clearance Delivery phone number to get the squawk code, you might as well get your IFR clearance on the ground.

If you want to transition the TFR or enter it to land at an airport in the outer ring, you can do whatever you would normally do to either get a VFR squawk code (and a filed VFR flight plan) and flight following, or get on an IFR clearance, both prior to reaching the TFR boundary.

Clearance to fly the approach includes clearance to fly the missed. If you haven't cancelled you should still be on an IFR flight plan.

Back