GA recommendation for Miami?

AlleyCat67

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
AleyCat67
Thinking about a snowbird trip to Florida this winter. I searched for earlier threads, but didn't see anything in the last few years. So... is there a preferred GA airport for a 2-3 day stop in the Miami area? I see OPF, HWO, and TMB seem reasonably close. FYI, I'd be flying in a single engine piston.

I just left OPF yesterday from a weeklong cruise. My decision was based on rental car availability. MIA and HWO were out.

I went to Atlantic and they did a great job. Kind of expensive, but that is to be expected.

Leaving was a pain. I tried to go IFR, but they had a ground hold in place, so I left VFR. Every time I go to Florida they love their routing. Can’t get any direct routes until you get into Georgia.

I just left OPF yesterday from a weeklong cruise. My decision was based on rental car availability. MIA and HWO were out.

I went to Atlantic and they did a great job. Kind of expensive, but that is to be expected.

Leaving was a pain. I tried to go IFR, but they had a ground hold in place, so I left VFR. Every time I go to Florida they love their routing. Can’t get any direct routes until you get into Georgia.

Thanks Jhayen… sounds like OPF is a good option. I figure anything around there will be pretty pricey.

Ive been to HWO and TMB. 2 totally different feels, to me. HWO felt like a piston airport. Bobby's landing was friendly and helpful. Their fuel was cheap, and when the self serve card reader didnt work, they filled me up from the truck and only charged self serve prices. Parking was reasonable.

Tamiami felt like a jet airport. The controllers were great, and there are a lot of piston movements there, but it just FELT like a busier place. the FBO I left the plane with was friendly. I dont know about fees at TMB because I was getting work done at a shop on the field. I didnt have to pay parking or handling.

Ive never been to OPF but Ive heard decent things about it.
I would go back to HWO in a heartbeat.

All the Florida airports, except MIA, get pretty substantial light GA traffic and know how to handle it. It is not unlike in California, where pretty much only LAX and SFO, and SAN to a little lesser extent, see very few light pistons (COVID accepted). You really shouldn't worry about treatment quality - I've never been treated poorly at a major airport in a light airplane. Cost considerations are a whole different ballgame

Flew to OPF little over a month ago. Very nice treatment at Atlantic. They told me over the phone that they waive fees except of course overnight fees with minimum fuel purchase, but they waive only one of the fees. I stayed in south Beach for the weekend and it was only a short cab ride. About half hour with some traffic.

I been to HWO before for a Miami trip. Much cheaper. I got a rental car there as we'd be driving around Miami.

We are actually planning on making a trip down to miami as well. We are staying down in Brickell and meeting friends that are coming into KMIA commercial. I checked pricing between KMIA and KOPF and while KMIA is a little bit more it wasn't enough to really turn me off. So my question is how bad is it flying VFR in a 172 into KMIA? I haven't landed at a Class B before but figure there has to be a first time. We are flying down from KORL going east of Orlando and maybe flying the coast. Let me know what I'm getting myself into. I'm up for pushing my limits somewhat. Right now my conservative option is to fly into OPF and then uber over.

If you're instrument rated, it would probably suit you better to fly into MIA IFR

Honestly…my recommendation is KEYW.

If you're instrument rated, it would probably suit you better to fly into MIA IFR
Unfortunately I haven’t completed that yet. I just got my ticket in December. I don’t even have my permanent pilots certificate.

HWO is the most GA near Miami, also they have discounts Tuesday’s on fuel if you’re ex mil

Back