Name a book nearly everyone loves that you do not...

anything Steinbeck.. but especially 'Of Mice and Men'

That book Chuck Yeager wrote about Chuck Yeager.
I found the long version tedious, but the short version(*) was a quick enjoyable read.

(*) Just skip the words "I", "me", "mine", and any part where his disparages other people and you can get through it in under an hour

Nauga,
and the things you overhear on hot mic

The Bible, The Koran, The Book of Morman, The Dao de Jing, The Kojiki...

I don't think those meet the stated condition "nearly everyone loves"

I enjoy most Steinbeck with the exception of Grapes of Wrath.

Anything Sci-fi, Tolkien, Jane Austin. Too much ridiculousness in Sci-fI, the others just take too much effort to read. I’m a simpleton and prefer Louis L’Amour or Richard Bach’s aviation stories.

Anything Sci-fi, Tolkien, Jane Austin. Too much ridiculousness in Sci-fI, the others just take too much effort to read. I’m a simpleton and prefer Louis L’Amour or Richard Bach’s aviation stories.

Me, I like Sci-Fi, Tolkien, L'Amour, and [early] Bach.

There's good SF (which assumes physics as known when the story was written, or one or two made up assumptions and then working within the logical consequences), and bad SF which assumes anything goes if you just use the words "ray gun" or "rocket ship".

Of course one has to suspend one's disbelief when reading L'Amour, too... nobody is as lucky (in the end) as his characters.

TLDR for me! I swore off reading books after college 25ish years ago. Heck I even struggle to complete an AOPA magazine each month not to mention the small dissertations some people write on forum posts LOL.

I honestly don’t know if my preferences match or don’t match “everyone else”…

As a kid I read every Louis L’Amour book my granddad, dad and uncles passed along … all the Sackett family tales and the spin offs.

Everything that Tom Clancy wrote became birthday presents for me along with the understanding that I would be unavailable for the next 3 days or so as I devoured them.

Lately, I’m enjoying C.J. Box’s books.

If you enjoy his books look up the The Mike Bowditch Mysteries by Paul Doiron - Game warden stuff set in Maine.

Thanks! The Lone Star Law tv shows on Animal Planet is what prompted, in part, our current rv trip down through Texas.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance--The only book I have ever in my entire life actually thrown away.

Tim

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance--The only book I have ever in my entire life actually thrown away.

Tim
Too funny...as the only book that I've ever thrown away (I actually threw it out the window while driving down the road) was The ASA Instrument Pilot Oral Exam Guide. My SO was quizzing me before my IFR practical exam, and that book was so ridiculous, with silly acronyms and crazy question/answers, I'd had it! LOL BTW, I passed my IFR with flying colors without it.

Tim

some of the books I had to read during English Lit class in college went into the trash as soon as I was done with that useless course

Uh... anything without pictures. Just sayin.

I kinda liked "Zen.." when I read it in my 20's. It wasn't life changing by any means, which is what I was led to expect. But then someone gave me the sequel, I think it was, when I was in my 30's. Couldn't stand the sequel, from memory it was just some guy feeling sorry for himself and taking it out on anyone near him, and it led me to realize that the guy in Zen was just a self-absorbed jerk. Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle, but I wouldn't recommend either book to anyone.

I'll see your Gann and raise you a Michener. I read Hawaii years ago and I believe he took 300 pages to describe how the land formed, how each plant and each bird came to the islands. It was only after 300 pages that the first person arrived.

That said, I enjoyed the book, so maybe that's a reverse of the original topic.
Every Michener book I've read starts like that.

I'm not a fan of Cannibal Queen, nor The Simarillion.

Back