Now, BLM is after strips in Utah! Send emails!

CharlieD3

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CharlieD3
Folks, we have a freedom. A freedom worth fighting for in all it's aspects, even if we don't directly participate in air camping, or whatever...

Here's a link to pilots in Utah trying to save BLM strips. Is this political? It may be... But it directly affects aviation.

https://utahbackcountrypilots.org/news/Dingell_act

Bureau of Land Management... Not the other BLM...Sorry for any confusion...

Last edited:
I forgot it's 2022 and BLM used to mean something different. Was very confused for a moment.

I forgot it's 2022 and BLM used to mean something different. Was very confused for a moment.

Agree ... perhaps the thread title should have been more clear.

fwiw - I've learned to read "BLM" as the bureaublahblah... rather than the political one

Must admit I haven’t delved deeply into the link but, in a nutshell, can someone summarize the proposed changes or link directly to their lay descriptions as they relate to flying? Thanks

Must admit I haven’t delved deeply into the link but, in a nutshell, can someone summarize the proposed changes or link directly to their lay descriptions as they relate to flying? Thanks
Bureau of Land Management is trying to shut down airstrips on BLM land... But I'm sure they won't shut down parking spots, probably... Access to remote areas by plane for camping, hiking, to say nothing of rescue or fire...

# is the number sign. I don't know where pound or hashtag came from.

I submitted a message to keep the remote airstrips. Someday I'd love to visit them!

# is an octothorp, according to US Patent 3920926

However, the musically inclined may think of it as a sharp. That usage is older than the patent.

Bureau of Land Management is trying to shut down airstrips on BLM land... But I'm sure they won't shut down parking spots, probably... Access to remote areas by plane for camping, hiking, to say nothing of rescue or fire...
Can you quote the portion of the BLM documents that say they want to shut down airstrips? I did a quick read and didn’t see any reference to airstrips.

Can you quote the portion of the BLM documents that say they want to shut down airstrips? I did a quick read and didn’t see any reference to airstrips.

If you read the John D. Dingell, Jr Conservation, Management, and Recreational Act, it's purpose is to remove all motorized vehicles in the parks... obviously not trailheads, etc. But BLM has tried to remove strips using the Act... dissuading aircraft from the same access as autos, RVs enjoy... a "landing/parking" area for example...

I posted similar here...: https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/save-some-cool-places-to-fly.135381/

The previous posting has been superseded by this one... but the previous explains it better

Last edited:

Kids these days.

Back on the good 'ol days of Usenet, each symbol had a common, recognized name. # was "hash," ! was "bang", @ was "at," ' was "tick," and so forth. For some reason, the greater than and less than symbols were both called "waka."

Some wag even wrote a poem:
----------------------------------------------------------------
< > ! * ' ' #
^ " ` $ $ -
! * = @ $ _
% * < > ~ #4
& [ ] . . /
| { , , SYSTEM HALTED
----------------------------------------------------------------

For the monolingual among us, here's the translation:

Waka waka bang splat tick tick hash,
Caret quote back-tick dollar dollar dash,
Bang splat equal at dollar under-score,
Percent splat waka waka tilde number four,
Ampersand bracket bracket dot dot slash,
Vertical-bar curly-bracket comma comma CRASH!

Ron Wanttaja

I don't think I've ever seen any of the other sort of BL's in Utah. Like ever.

Submitted a thorough email to both addresses. I've watched enough Utah Back Country pilot videos to know that this is an area I would VERY much like to visit.

Closing these strips also creates a safety issue by reducing the number of safe emergency-landing sites.

# is an octothorp, according to US Patent 3920926

However, the musically inclined may think of it as a sharp. That usage is older than the patent.
Per oxford dictionary...

oc·to·thorp
/ˈäktəˌTHôrp/

noun
noun: octothorpe
  1. another term for the pound sign (#).

https://foldoc.org/@

<character> "@".
ASCII code 64. Common names: at sign, at, strudel. Rare: each, vortex, whorl, INTERCAL: whirlpool, cyclone, snail, ape, cat, rose, cabbage, amphora. ITU-T: commercial at.

The @ sign is used in an electronic mail address to separate the local part from the hostname.

It is ironic that @ has become a trendy mark of Internet awareness since it is a very old symbol, derived from the latin preposition "ad" (at).

Giorgio Stabile, a professor of history in Rome, has traced the symbol back to the Italian Renaissance in a Roman mercantile document signed by Francesco Lapi on 1536-05-04.

In Dutch it is called "apestaartje" (little ape-tail), in German "affenschwanz" (ape tail). The French name is "arobase". In Spain and Portugal it denotes a weight of about 25 pounds, the weight and the symbol are called "arroba". Italians call it "chiocciola" (snail).

See https://foldoc.org/@-party

Per oxford dictionary...

oc·to·thorp
/ˈäktəˌTHôrp/

noun
noun: octothorpe
  1. another term for the pound sign (#).
Sheesh, that sounds confusing. Being Oxford you'd think they'd refer to a pound sign as "£".

USA and England.... 2 countries separated by a common language.

Back