Experimental/Special Airworthiness Certificates - Flying to Mexico?

MarkH

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MarkH
I am passively shopping for a new plane (with the intent to purchase once I get some ratings out of the way), but part of the defined mission for my next purchase involves vacationing in Mexico.

I have a few planes in mind, some certificated, some experimental and a couple light sport, but when doing some research on the topic, I found a couple concerning articles:

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media...-reverse-prohibition-on-experimental-aircraft

https://www.kitplanes.com/problemas-en-mexico/

Apparently Baja Bush Pilots is advising against any Experimental airworthiness certificates fly into Mexico, but the AOPA article describes an issues with Special airworthiness certificates.

Does anyone have more information or recent experience with flying into Mexico with an EAB, ELSA, or SLSA plane? Does this issue only apply to EAB, or does is it impact ELSA and SLSAs also?

An experimental certificate is a type of special airworthiness certificate. And experimental includes EAB, ELSA, R&D, and others. SLSA, although not experimental, also have special airworthiness certificates.

All special airworthiness certificates have operating limitations. I believe they all have limitation 1 issued. This is the one that states the aircraft does not meet ICAO Annex 8 requirements and that you must have written permission from the foreign aviation authority to operate in their airspace.

Get the permission.

Here is the verbiage of the limitation.

This aircraft does not meet the airworthiness standards of Annex 8 to the Convention on International Civil Aviation. Operations in airspace outside of the United States will require the permission of the applicable foreign authority. That permission must be carried aboard the aircraft together with this U.S. airworthiness certificate and, upon request, be made available to an FAA inspector or the applicable foreign authority in the country of operation. Operations may be further restricted by the applicable foreign authority. This may include not allowing use of an airport, requiring specific routing, and restricting flight over specific areas. The operator must comply with any additional limitation prescribed by the applicable foreign authority when operating in its airspace.

An experimental certificate is a type of special airworthiness certificate. And experimental includes EAB, ELSA, R&D, and others. SLSA, although not experimental, also have special airworthiness certificates.

All special airworthiness certificates have operating limitations. I believe they all have limitation 1 issued. This is the one that states the aircraft does not meet ICAO Annex 8 requirements and that you must have written permission from the foreign aviation authority to operate in their airspace.

Get the permission.

@SkyDog58 Is there any published source that explains how to get the permission?

@SkyDog58 Is there any published source that explains how to get the permission?

You would just need to locate information on contacting the foreign country’s authority, AFAC for Mexico. Mss addy be Google it. The EAA article that Ron linked to suggests contacting the Mexican embassy. That might work as well.

Over the last two years I don’t know of anyone flying a experimental aircraft from the USA that’s been allowed to enter Mexico and be able to return to the USA with their aircraft. Jack at Baja Bush Pilots have been lobbying extensively in Mexico City to allow non certified aircraft to fly to Mexico again but I’m not sure he’s getting anywhere. Numerous reports of impounded experimental aircraft.

Over the last two years I don’t know of anyone flying a experimental aircraft from the USA that’s been allowed to enter Mexico and be able to return to the USA with their aircraft. Jack at Baja Bush Pilots have been lobbying extensively in Mexico City to allow non certified aircraft to fly to Mexico again but I’m not sure he’s getting anywhere. Numerous reports of impounded experimental aircraft.

I recently found those reports and they have me concerned (especially as someone considering an experimental or LSA for my next plane), but the latest repot I have found was from 2020 and I am hoping for some positive updates.

Or at least some reports confirming that Mexico will grant written permission, and that written permission will be effective to fly in and out of Mexico.

this guy flew his RV to Mexico last winter

I wonder why they say “It is suggested that you receive permission in writing.”

The operating limitation states “That permission must be carried aboard the aircraft together with this U.S. airworthiness certificate …”

It would be pretty hard to carry it aboard unless it is in writing.

I think they are saying don’t carry in an electronic format.

Back