Jake Simpson

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
cvgaviation
Hey all, I'm looking into getting my first airplane to build time in the next month or so. I'm a PPL and doing my training at Purdue. I will need a loan for the plane itself which I'm looking to purchase for roughly $30-35k. (I don't have an exact plane picked out yet) I will be able to comfortably put down more than 20%. What is y'alls advice on where to get this loan at? Is there an aviation specific business that specializes in aircraft financing and getting people like me loans? Another question- is it most common to get preapproved for the loan with said company or bank and then go out to look at airplanes and then when you're ready to buy just contact the company you spoke with and arrange payment with owner? For getting preapproved what information would they need, financial history, credit, monthly income, proof of employment so on so forth? This is my first time making a big purchase like this and I want to make sure it goes smoothly. Thanks!

$30k-$35k? What kind of airplane are you planning to buy?

In today’s market that’d be a runout Ercoupe.

It was a million years ago, but I recall getting a loan through AOPA somehow. I'm sorry you got the slightly snarky naysayers, but I have to agree. You might not be planning on enough, although at least interest rates are still relatively low. Take a long look at Trade-A-Plane and see what the market looks like right now. Good luck!

It was a million years ago, but I recall getting a loan through AOPA somehow. I'm sorry you got the slightly snarky naysayers, but I have to agree. You might not be planning on enough, although at least interest rates are still relatively low. Take a long look at Trade-A-Plane and see what the market looks like right now. Good luck!
Thank you! I'm planning on $35k to be honest but there are a good amount of decent older airplanes in the low 30s. Trust me I've been analyzing all the sale sights for months haha. I'll have to look into AOPA.

I can't help on financing options, I generally take a dim view of personal debt, though I've used unsecured personal loans to manage cash flow when buying planes. Yes, any loan will require financial history, credit, monthly income, proof of employment so on so forth.

A few comments... first, don't rule out experimentals which can often offer a lot more bang for the buck than standard aircraft. Second, if you intend to use the plane to progress through IFR and commercial, your budget may be a bit optimistic, most planes on the lower end of the price scale aren't IFR equipped. Third, if you intend to use your own plane for training, the school program (I assume Purdue is a part 141 school) may not allow it.

Thank you! I'm planning on $35k to be honest but there are a good amount of decent older airplanes in the low 30s. Trust me I've been analyzing all the sale sights for months haha. I'll have to look into AOPA.

Well, I figured, but I wanted to make sure! Good luck. We're rooting for you!

I bought my first plane in my early 20's on a low-ish income. BUT>>>I PAID CASH! I think this is very important! Here is my question to you: How do you think you are going to afford a loan AND a plane, when you can't even save to buy the plane?

I know that question seems unfair, but planes can be EXPENSIVE to maintain. A $35,000 plane can easily run up yearly bills of $10,000 (ask me how I know). If you could afford those bills and a plane loan payment, seems like it'd only be a year or two that you could save for a plane.

And if you can't afford that...what's the plan if the $10k bills come your way?

Last edited:
I will go on the record as saying this is a terrible idea. Unless you have some friends or extensive mechanical knowledge, the cost of owning and flying the airplane will strain you already on top of the payment. Gas, oil changes, annual, taxes, insurance, tie down, wear items. If you say you can put 7k down I hope that means you have at least 10-20k in reserve for unexpected expenses or you could very likely end up paying on an airplane you can't fly.

If you do have that buffer then I could see financing the rest. As others have said there are lots of airplane finance companies. Start with AOPA and get quotes from the rest to compare. The other option is a non collateral loan from places like LightStream where it's basically a personal loan.

Let's do some quick math for a reality check.

Assuming you find an airplane in this market for 30k with some time left on the engine that wasn't last overhauled in the 80's. A decent pre-buy will be 1-2k. I imagine insurance would be 1k. So lets say you finance 24k put down 6k and an additional 3k for pre-buy and insurnace. I have no idea what those payments would be but I'd guess 250/month.

I would imagine you would want to fly it 5 hours a week on average especially after getting it.

5 hours x 6 gal/hr x $5.00/gal =$150/week or $600/month
Tie down at minimum will be $50/month
For the first year I would assume $30.00/hr to put into the bank for oil changes, AD inspection, and engine reserves $600/month at 20 hours/mon
$7 per hour towards next years annual at a minimum or $140.00 per month
Depending on where you live Taxes could be 3-500 or $33 per month
$85.00 per month towards next years insurance.

So you would need $1,758.00 per month to afford this airplane on top of your normal expenses. Sure you can fly it less, maybe pull the power back a gallon or two, find some cheaper gas, but this is a very realistic cost. Then there is the very real possibility that a major expense may occur before your maintenance reserves have accrued enough to cover it.

I will need a loan for the plane itself
Will you need a loan to pay for operating expenses as well? They will make the purchase price look like pocket change.
All you need to do is request a loan app, fill in the blanks and wait for approved or denied.

I love my 140, but it is 70 years old. Old stuff breaks, or has been thoughtfully pre-broken for you. There's one for sale on barnstormers now for 20k. There is the chance that you'd be buying in to a flying restoration project, which is fine as long as you can firehose cash at it. Try to minimize uncertainty instead of acquisition cost. If I had a do over, I would have looked at 170s (still old, but at least you'll get a 4 seater for about the same complexity), or hold out for something in the 60-70k range that's a lot newer.

Agree with all the cautions about getting a loan. Unless you have an extremely high (for a young person), regular, and secure income stream, it’s way too risky. Right now, are you able to put aside at least a thousand a month into an emergency fund plus retirement accounts on top of living expenses? You’re still going to need to continue to do that on top of a loan payment on top of O&M expenses.

Having said that, we got a loan to buy our first plane. But we put it in leaseback and got enough rental to cover the loan payment. But like with Judy it was many years ago. Nowadays it’s hard to find a situation that good.

Basically, if your finances are good enough to be able to get a loan at low risk to your future, they should be good enough to be able to save up quickly to pay cash.

Now having said that, if you can get a loan at 2% interest while current inflation is 6% and let’s suppose your plane appreciates in the years to come, you might want to play those games. But then, only if you’re already secure enough to take such a gamble, cover the ownership expenses, allow for the curve ball of a woman coming along. You think a plane is expensive, try a wife.

When we were young, we also got a loan to buy a sailboat. But we were bringing in two engineer incomes and it too was in charter service bringing in tons of income. Plus, being in leaseback and boat charter is a business allowing for tax advantages. Still in retrospect now that I’m old and wise, (maybe less unwise), it was a risk I’m not sure I’d take today. I’ve seen how life can derail you.

On the other hand if you wait until conditions are perfect to do something like own a plane or a boat, (or have kids) you never will and you’ll miss out on life.

The thing you have to keep in mind is that you are responsible for future you. You don’t want him mad at current you for messing up his financial life.

I’m hangared at KLAF and have a friend who just started a club with a 172 about 6 months ago. They had 3 or 4 members and were looking for 1 or 2 more a couple months ago. PM if interested in going this route and I’ll connect you with him.

For the size of town and the aviation history and college program here, I was always surprised that the only club in town was a 3 airplane club that requires some Purdue affiliation. Otherwise, you have (1) the Purdue University program that requires you to be a student and doesn’t really offer rental that I know of, or (2) Purdue Aviation (formerly Lafayette Aviation) which is a come-one come-all flight school that also rents, which is where I earned my PPL. I thought about starting a club when I was in your shoes, since I wasn’t connected to Purdue, then gave up and bought my own.

Also, there are a number of students who own and are hangared next to me, if you wanted to stop by sometime and chat. You can bounce some questions off of me as well.

Last edited:
I’m hangared at KLAF and have a friend who just started a club with a 172 about 6 months ago. They had 3 or 4 members and were looking for 1 or 2 more a couple months ago. PM if interested in going this route and I’ll connect you with him.
This is really the way to go. You will get plenty of access to build your time economically. You should really contact 455 Bravo Uniform. Fun fact: I bought a used radio from him for my Cardinal, and he is a really nice guy.

Also, I must add this. If you are at Purdue, you have access to more aviation knowledge and expertise than just about anywhere else on earth. Why ask SGOTI? Boiler up!

Hey all, I'm looking into getting my first airplane to build time in the next month or so. I'm a PPL and doing my training at Purdue. I will need a loan for the plane itself which I'm looking to purchase for roughly $30-35k. (I don't have an exact plane picked out yet) I will be able to comfortably put down more than 20%. What is y'alls advice on where to get this loan at? Is there an aviation specific business that specializes in aircraft financing and getting people like me loans? Another question- is it most common to get preapproved for the loan with said company or bank and then go out to look at airplanes and then when you're ready to buy just contact the company you spoke with and arrange payment with owner? For getting preapproved what information would they need, financial history, credit, monthly income, proof of employment so on so forth? This is my first time making a big purchase like this and I want to make sure it goes smoothly. Thanks!

Keep in mind that a Cessna 120/140/150 and the Piper 140 were about 25k on the higher end or less pre-Covid, and due to Covid and the short supply of everything, prices are higher now, you can see 35k-50k easy. So you are essentially buying into this hyped market (50% premium!) and whether prices are here to stay or not is another question. I say that now because you are talking about getting a loan and you could potentially be "stuck" with this bird. It is in my opinion pretty difficult to sell a plane too, and having been a buyer myself going through the process myself currently, I am quite shocked at the length of the process, pre-buy, negotiating repairs, more things come up while fixing things, delays, delays, etc. You need a good mechanic who can thoroughly check the plane and someone you trust is reliable and will tell you how it is. I've seen some planes that Sellers do not want to fly the plane to your mechanic, it becomes a challenge. The last thing you want is to buy a plane that cannot be flown, these birds are old and stuff happens! Try to imagine you owned a plane and where you'd park it, how you'd start her up in the cold, can you do it yourself or do you need help, what would you do with a dead battery, etc.

A 2-seater is great for cheap local ops but that is what it is with its useful load being a bit low. Tell us, what is your mission? That is the key when making a decision to buy a plane as every person has their own aviation goals. Now, if I were to get another plane (I haven't taken delivery of mine yet so take what I say with a grain of salt), I'd love a 2 seater, possibly a C120/140 tailwheel or Piper cub, love the way they look! As a PPL in training, I imagine that you want to go on to instrument, commercial, and beyond (I'm there but not with an official aviation school). But having the plane IFR ready and with equipment that you enjoy using is key. I'd probably push you towards a C172 with garmin waas IFR certified equipment, you might be able to find a deal and those are hot trainers and I think might be easier to offload when you are moving on up.

Bank of America will do you a loan….but you’ll have to have the income.

like you I purchased a C150 for a whopping $3500 back in the early 80’s. Bank loaned me the money. I fixed it up and flew it while I was in A&P school. Then I sold it for $10,000 a few years later.

If you HAVE to finance your toys, you probably can't afford it. I bought a Cherokee 180 last May for 33k cash. Then promptly put 3500 into it fixing the old radios and adding adsb.

I hate renting. But that's what I'd do if I were you. This is one of those you don't know what you don't know type of things.

Although I am a bit older than you (mid 30s), I bought a $23.5K Grumman Yankee right after passing my check ride. Especially if you are pursuing a pilot program, I don't recommend this.

It is very tough to budget for airplane ownership, especially in your first year. In the 2 years I owned my plane I was hit with $2K (carb overhaul), $2.5K (spinner replacement), and $5K (both mags + other stuff) unexpected repair bills. That is in addition to the $650 (year 1) and $1500 (year 2) annuals. Knowing what I know now, some of those bills could have been cheaper, but realistically the repairs had to be done as part of sorting out an old plan that sat for a couple years before I bought it.

But, the expenses were not the worst part, before those bills hit my desk, I lost my plane for anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months while it was repaired. Those disruptions in my flying, especially that early in my experience, were a setback to my progress as a pilot. In addition, it resulted in me flying less overall, because if you think paying $175+ per flight hour is tough, try doing it while paying a $500/month airplane payment, $1200/yr insurance payment, tie down fees and an unknown soon to come bill from the issue that has the plane in the shop.

The last concern is that the plane you buy will not be the plane you need for every part of your training. So you will either put off training to fly you plane, or train and be concerned about how little you are flying your plane. Especially if you are in Purdue's 141 program, you need to focus on flying for your ratings, thats tough to do if you haven't flown your plane in a month (because you were focused on your instrument rating, and the CDI is broken in your plane, again), and you find your self procrastinating your homework by reading airplane maintenance piece about how Lycoming camshafts can rust in 2 weeks if they are parked in humid environments. If you are spending your energy learning how to own a plane, you are not spending your energy learning how to fly one.

Owning a plane is an awesome experience, one that I have every intention of doing again. After I finish my training and get the ratings I want. My DPE had 3 planes in his hangar when I passed my checkride. At the same time, his stepson was working toward his commercial rating, in a rental. At the time, I never thought to ask why he was paying for a rental for his stepson while he owned other planes, but now I know.

Some dreams are still great even after you wake up. Best of luck- we all love flying, airplanes, and all that comes with it around here, but it’s not free, cheap or easy. Most of us have to make sacrifices to live this dream. ;)

For the size of town and the aviation history and college program here, I was always surprised that the only club in town was a 3 airplane club that requires some Purdue affiliation. Otherwise, you have (1) the Purdue University program that requires you to be a student and doesn’t really offer rental that I know of, or (2) Purdue Aviation (formerly Lafayette Aviation) which is a come-one come-all flight school that also rents, which is where I earned my PPL. I thought about starting a club when I was in your shoes, since I wasn’t connected to Purdue, then gave up and bought my own.

Also, there are a number of students who own and are hangared next to me, if you wanted to stop by sometime and chat. You can bounce some questions off of me as well.
Thank for your input! I'll be back at Purdue next week, I'd love to swing by and chat!

Back