What is the fascination with talking fast on the radio?

Here, I'll throw a monkey wrench into the fun. All you guys shortening stuff will hate this one.

"Centennial Ground, Skylane One Two Seven Niner Mike, Area Hotel, Taxi, With Juliet, Request Runway One Zero, VFR East, Run up complete."

(KAPA Special Procedures on the ATIS permanently require direction of flight and whether you require a run-up prior to departure. You'd be amazed at how many people can't figure out how to do it in a single call-up or find somewhere to do their run-up in a non-movement area so they can bypass the clearance to the penalty box.)

That seems plenty concise to me, since that that airport requires more info than most. Dont think you could get all that out a whole lot shorter.

...but by the book you are supposed to read back all runway assignments and hold short instructions. It's even printed in big letters on every airport diagram I've seen.

I am guilty of this...

"XXX Tower, Cessna 1234, ready at 17R south departure."

I usually tell the controller on my initial call which runway I am at. Haven't had any controllers ask me to clarify on my takeoff clearance, and have been to several airports with multiple runways. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Just talk real slow, and tell 'email "do you hear how fast I talk? That's how fast I listen, too." You can always say it slower, with a drawl, at least as long as you're with the speed-talking controller.

After which you are guaranteed to hear: "Radar services terminated. Squawk 1200."

Santa Monica Tower "63CT cleared for takeoff" (says if FAST)
63CT "Click, Click" (and takes off)

Hows that for short? (there were 5 planes in the pattern and 5 waiting to takeoff and 1 runway)

Last edited:
I would say it comes down to poor training and breeding. It is ill mannered especially in front of foreign pilots. Are they showing off how fast they can talk like a school boy competition.?

I've noticed it more and more. 9/10 times ATC tells the pilot "say again" and it causes more clutter on the frequency. We really need to teach students to slow things down, enunciate with proper phraseology, and teach them that comms. are not a race who can speak the fastest. What say you POA?
first thing tell that to metering and ground at ORD.............

Holy necro thread Batman:). I just follow the line to the runway. And hope no one hits me coming out of the ramp lol.
keep moving and shut up has alwas worked there. it was more fun back when you would land on the north side and get a clearance like, "two right tuns take the scenic route"

I would say it comes down to poor training and breeding. It is ill mannered especially in front of foreign pilots. Are they showing off how fast they can talk like a school boy competition.?
Great first post. It takes a lot of courage to wake up a seven year old thread just to make a senseless post on it as your first post. Well done! You must come from some real awesome breeding stock.

I speak relatively slowly when cold-calling, otherwise I think I speak slightly faster as normal conversational tone (just a by a hair), OR I match the pace of the controller, whichever of the two is faster.

The reason for cold calls being slower than read backs seems obvious to me, but I can elaborate if I'm wrong.

When I restarted flight training last summer, it seemed to me I could win the Slow Talkers of America award. But with practice, including lots of simulation time, I've gotten up to almost conversational speed. We'll see where I am the next time I restart lessons.

Great first post. It takes a lot of courage to wake up a seven year old thread just to make a senseless post on it as your first post. Well done! You must come from some real awesome breeding stock.
Always the new guys that wake up the dead.

hokey smokes - great first post, dude. That was brave, requiring you to ignore red messages advising against your post.

I can complain about atc on this account. “I have a long clearance for you” and then spews 15 waypoints and airways without taking a breath. Would be far faster to go slow enough a normal human could write it down and not have to repeat most of it again.

No. I got your point I just don’t agree with you. @SkyDog58 was rude to a new member for no reason and I called him out.
Oh, I didn’t realize you were calling me out. I called out the poster in question as I took exception to the tone and verbiage of his post and the fact it was his first post was a bit odd to me. Questioning people’s breeding? Tossing in a reference to foreign pilots? It just didn’t make any sense at all and the fact it was a seven year old thread made it worse. I am not adverse to waking up old threads but to do so just to toss out such drivel deserves calling out. If I offended you, I am truly sorry. I’ll buy you lunch at the Flying Pig sometime if you are still in Shelby.

Oh, I didn’t realize you were calling me out. I called out the poster in question as I took exception to the tone and verbiage of his post and the fact it was his first post was a bit odd to me. Questioning people’s breeding? Tossing in a reference to foreign pilots? It just didn’t make any sense at all and the fact it was a seven year old thread made it worse. I am not adverse to waking up old threads but to do so just to toss out such drivel deserves calling out. If I offended you, I am truly sorry. I’ll buy you lunch at the Flying Pig sometime if you are still in Shelby.
I see both sides. I expected the regulars to take the high ground. Kind of a “bless your heart” moment. It really doesn’t matter. My post was most likely a waste of time for all of us.

Cheers.

Edit: never mind.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

I've noticed it more and more. 9/10 times ATC tells the pilot "say again" and it causes more clutter on the frequency. We really need to teach students to slow things down, enunciate with proper phraseology, and teach them that comms. are not a race who can speak the fastest. What say you POA?
To me phraseology is the big thing, and oddly it seems that the more experienced the pilot, the more conversational they get on the radio. I get the feeling a lot of pilots think that in order to sound experienced you need to ramble and have your own way of saying everything. The twin crash down in Florida recently was an example. Pilot had 7,800 hours, and all he wanted was a taxi to a runway and to fly to a practice area for some flight testing, and every single he said, ATC had to ask him to clarify (at least once) what on earth he wanted. One thing I read on here a long time ago and never forgot was a student pilot asking how to get better on the radio, and someone replied (paraphrasing), "If you want to learn how to talk on the radio, don't listen to LiveATC."

Back