Aviation Goals for 2021

Got back into flying after 5 years away.
Flew my family around Florida (I'm in the Pacific Northwest)
Commercial still a question mark for the year but only because of a long vacation and weather. CFI says I'm pretty much ready.
Wanted my multi as well but this one may need to wait. Maybe.....

When all is said and done, I've made 2 goals already and am confident I'll make 3 with the 4th as a very strong "P".

Made it to Oshkosh.
Got a panel upgrade.
The rest of 2021 has been a bust, aviation-wise. No float time. No trip to Maine. Got AOG’ed out of a Gulf coast trip.

My regional captain son got hired by a major, so his single aviation goal was met. For next year, we have a shared goal of getting him proficient in the Skywagon. Too much Airbus is bad for the soul!

Assuming covid gets tamped down and things open back up again, I'm looking forward to stretching the legs on the new bird.

I'm going to have about 140hrs in 2020, but that included doing an IR, so i think 100 is a relatively realistic goal for 2021. Id also like to remain instrument current and proficient, and probably do a wings phase.

Now that i have a retract, I'm tempted to start on commercial, but that might make a better 2022 goal.
Well, we're nearing year end... how'd we do on our goals?

I shocked myself in that I'm going to wind up around 165 hours. Guess the adage about flying your own plane more is true. I managed to stay current without putting on the foggles once. My proficiency has suffered some however due to harvest dragging on forever. Still hoping for a mvfr day yet this month.

Made it to my first rough river, first osh, and got to meet several POAers. Good times.

I want to build multi time if possible. not all that exciting, I know, but I doubled up on 2020 goals so 2021 is a little thin.

Eh, got a few multi hours, nowhere near what I wanted to get. Whachagonnado.

I did finish my IR. In March.

And I passed the commercial written. So there’s that.

Last edited:
Didn't fly as much as I wanted to this year, but am hatching some plans to fix that in '22.

I did pretty well, got the second highest number of hours in a year I've flown, but didn't top the 2020 hours. Part of that was not flying the trip to Albuquerque private and flying there commercial, and then canceling an Angel Flight mission due to mx issues.

We flew to Mobile and met-up with Bill to tour the USS Alabama. I didn't get to the Tuskegee Airman museum in Tuskegee, but it wasn't open early in the year and still on very limited hours. Hopefully in 2022.

We did make it to Pueblo to visit our youngest while she was there (she's on a 3 location rotation program at work) and Pueblo was my 200th airport.

As expected I didn't top the 15 Angel Flight missions in 2022, but got at least 10 flown. Got a few $100 Hamburger flights in too. Plus other trips with my wife.

Overall I had a fun year of flying.

I didn't post my goals, but I did sort of make them.

-I got current last spring for the first time since 2014 (moves and kiddo stopped my flying for a bit). I didn't fly enough this summer/fall, but working on it at least.
-Took my 5 year old daughter for her first flight. She loved it, but turns over our house so she could see it ended up making her sick. Gotta work on that.
-Didn't start as a goal, but a fun thing I did was sold our house and bought 5.75 acres on OH66 airport community and met a new friend through this process that I'm excited about and he has a daughter close to my daughters age and the wives got along great too. Now to figure out the house/hangar build and buying an airplane while living with the mother in law. Really excited about this one!!

Meet up with some PoA’ers/BT’ers!
Fly more (I just saw my trailing 12 months and it seems I barely flew)
Fly into/camp @ Oshkosh
Hit up the Rockies or West Coast (was postponed due to COVID and fires)
Start my Commercial
Get one step closer to ownership
Well let’s see how I did…

Achieved:
- Flew 142 hours - most ever in a calendar year
- I met a whole bunch of you PoAers and YT royalty (notice that’s not in my 2022 goals… I kid I kid!)
- Hit Denver twice!
- Started my commercial (a week ago)
- Took the biggest step towards ownership- the Mrs. has approved the purchase!

Misses:
- Missed Osh all together. I was well on my way to Osh when I had a fuel pressure CAS (red). Ran the checklist which concluded with “it’s fine” (which is suspect). Figured it would be silly to fly in to the biggest show in the world and have a fuel issue. So I turned around.
- Although I got to Denver and attended that fantastic mountain flying seminar, the flight portion was scrubbed due to low viz from smoke. I’ll try again in 2022.

I'd like to fly as much as I did in 2020. I flew from New Jersey to Wisconsin (and back) 3 times in 2020 and I hope to have the freedom to fly more cross-countries in 2021.

Wow! Not even close. In 2021, I only flew 1/3 of the hours I flew in 2020 despite flights to North Carolina and two round trips to Wisconsin. Hopefully I'll fly more in 2022.

Get my private pilot certificate - checkride is scheduled for end of January, so fingers crossed I check that off early! :)

Otherwise, not much. I want to take my family up (for their first rides in a "little" plane!!), and start studying for the instrument rating while I save up the cash for said rating.

Well, I got my private pilot certificate, about six months later than expected, but at least I did get that done!

I had a little bit of a crazy busy year ( ;) ), so not much else happened, aviation-wise. Maybe next year!

My goal was to enjoy a year without any flying obligations. In the end I only flew in a GA aircraft once (a friend’s 340 doing some emergency procedure drills) and probably about 10-20 commercial flights in ERJs and 737s. Don’t miss the flying and have really enjoyed working on other things. It’s nice to be retired from being a dog freighter, as much as I enjoyed it while I did it.

We do still have plans to finish the runway and buy a Cub, and we’ll enjoy that when the time comes. But for now, really enjoying just focusing on the RV40, motorcycles, and hopefully get the RX7 racing and Cobra driving this winter. And the Land Rover engine swapped.

Have a medical professional use the words "cancer-free", "BasicMed", and "yes" within a few sentences of each other.

Edit: Also, hand off The Monkey to someone for adventures...

Well, none of my medical professionals have used the words "cancer-free". I think that's a term that patients want to use, but doctors don't, because they understand the inherent limitations of measurement... But they *have* said things like "low probability of recurrence" and "everything looks fine". I'll take it!

BasicMed: check!

Monkey: nope. Still got him, and he's BORED!

I flew about 10 hours of CAP and 500 hours for my full time job.

Did lots of upgrades to my 310 and only flew it about 50 hours this year. I plan to fly it more in 2022 now that all of the upgrades are done.

I did use some VA benefits and earned my CFI in 2021. I plan to get my CFII and MEI in 2022.
I never had to have my instructor certificates in the past. I started at an airline almost 30 years ago with just a CMEL-I. Those were the days. I feel like I’m missing something by not having all of the CFI certs and look forward to have them all in 2022.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back