GNS430W screen repair costs?

thito01

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tony T
Has anyone recently sent in a GNS430W for repair of a de-laminated screen? And, if so, what what was the final cost?

It "might" be only the film on the screen...........which is easily removed and not necessary at all. Post a picture.

I do think it's just the film. At night, you can't even see the problem. Just when there is sunlight causing glare.
20211018_150847.jpg

Tony. It is REAL EASY to fix.

Just use a cotton ball and vinegar. Press pretty hard. You will never notice the difference. Here is a 400W that I did a few years ago. You will never notice that the coating is gone......night or day.

Has anyone recently sent in a GNS430W for repair of a de-laminated screen? And, if so, what what was the final cost?

If the vinegar does not work, it looks like Garmin charges a flat rate of $1850.00 to repair it.

We had a comm issue, and sent it in for the flat rate repair, and they replaced our screen too, even tho that’s not what we sent it in for.

Is Garmin still doing that? I thought they stopped 430/530 repair.

Update: I tried the cotton ball and vinegar today. Not much success. Upon looking at it when out of the plane, there appears to be a plastic layer behind the front glass that has crinkled up. It's not on the front of the clear glass cover, but behind it.

Is Garmin still doing that? I thought they stopped 430/530 repair.
I believe they still do repair; they stopped upgrading regular 430/530's to WAAS.

We had this exact same issue over the summer. I think it was somewhere around $1,500. Looks good as new.
It wasn't the screen that cracked but the underlayer (Glass behind the glass) Looked just like yours.

For the $1800 they will also check the unit and update the software / firmware if it’s not the latest already. You’ll also get an updated 8130.

I do think it's just the film. At night, you can't even see the problem. Just when there is sunlight causing glare.
View attachment 103059
Our old 430 screen has a gigantic blob of white right in the missle of the screen when powered up, we will purchase a refurbished unit somewhere and use this as out second comm / nav still works fine but blob makes it unusable as a navigator.. Thinking we will try to remove the delaminating ?screen protector? would that help, in any event we can still see/use comm and nav portion of screen.
2022-10-06 14.51.47.jpg

Attachments

• 2022-10-06 14.42.53.jpg
    2022-10-06 14.42.53.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 2022-10-06 14.49.51.jpg
    2022-10-06 14.49.51.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 13
For the $1800 they will also check the unit and update the software / firmware if it’s not the latest already. You’ll also get an updated 8130.

Garmin will also give you a promo code for 1 time full data update for the WAAS conversions, IF you ask for it.

I heard they were also doing this with the flat rate repair. Worth a tray and see if this is still in policy. Friend of mine had to call twice to get the promo code. First guy said no and second guy said here's your promo code.

Appears teenager strategy seemed to work... If Mom says no, then ask Dad.

Garmin has stopped the WAAS upgrade program for 430/530 units in 2020.

Back