MA44 Tradewind airport Martha’s Vineyard

Matthew Rogers

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Matt R
I am here on the island for Christmas and just found out about Tradewind airport, owned by the Martha’s Vineyard Land Bank. It requires prior permission, but that is available via a web form on their website. No overnight parking, but a cool grass airstrip right in Oak Bluffs nonetheless.
Anyone happen to ever visit this airport?

I am here on the island for Christmas and just found out about Tradewind airport, owned by the Martha’s Vineyard Land Bank. It requires prior permission, but that is available via a web form on their website. No overnight parking, but a cool grass airstrip right in Oak Bluffs nonetheless.
Anyone happen to ever visit this airport?
I haven't, but I'm curious about it too. I've always flown into Katama but it looks like it would be a nice change of pace.

Used to live and instruct on the Vineyard. Unless they have stopped access to dog walkers you're gonna need a sharp stick to pry the poop out of your wheel pants/wells and off of vulnerable surfaces.... Yuk! (I walked my dogs there for ten years.)

Also, folks on the ground have no way to be aware of your approach. A couple of low passes might be in order to wake up the people on the ground. All in all, Katama is a much better choice.

Used to live and instruct on the Vineyard. Unless they have stopped access to dog walkers you're gonna need a sharp stick to pry the poop out of your wheel pants/wells and off of vulnerable surfaces.... Yuk! (I walked my dogs there for ten years.)

Also, folks on the ground have no way to be aware of your approach. A couple of low passes might be in order to wake up the people on the ground. All in all, Katama is a much better choice.
There was a news article from 2015 about the owners putting up fencing to keep the dogs (and owners) on the trails. The article also mentioned how the dog owners were super mad about this. The entire point of the Land Bank owning the property is to protect vulnerable bird and other grassland species (as well as allowing an existing airport) and the Land Bank makes note that the airplanes cause less damage than the people and their dogs. There is a 3 strike rule for not staying on the trails - warning, sheriff and trespassing charge, and permanent ban.

I'm surprised the uber rich and powerful on the Vineyard allow planes burning 100LL to operate.

I'm surprised the uber rich and powerful on the Vineyard allow planes burning 100LL to operate.
Consider that many of them fly to their island houses on the planes. I heard plenty of props going in and out Dec 24th, even during a hard IFR snowstorm. Although as the millionaires turn into billionaires, everything will be turbines and not pistons. Maybe they could throw out a lifeline and subsidize the rest of us to fly turbine powered planes and helos too.

For what it's worth, I filled out the form last night and got permission for 2022 this (Christmas) morning. I'm getting my Sportsman STOL kit installed In January so this might be a fun destination to try it out next year. My dog likes to fly and walk so perhaps we can knock out both, lol.

Does the bus run by the airport? MV always seems easy to get around in season, but it's been a few years.

Is there anything at the airport or within walking distance?

Is there anything at the airport or within walking distance?
There are official walking trails and roads leading directly to Oak Bluffs 1.5 miles away. BBQ place 1 mile away, and the beach as short as 0.7 miles away, depending on parking location and any fences and access (unknown). But I will walk the airport tomorrow and post pictures.

There are official walking trails and roads leading directly to Oak Bluffs 1.5 miles away. BBQ place 1 mile away, and the beach as short as 0.7 miles away, depending on parking location and any fences and access (unknown). But I will walk the airport tomorrow and post pictures.
I actually looked at the MVTA map and noticed the #9 goes right by the entrance.

For what it's worth, I filled out the form last night and got permission for 2022 this (Christmas) morning. I'm getting my Sportsman STOL kit installed In January so this might be a fun destination to try it out next year. My dog likes to fly and walk so perhaps we can knock out both, lol.

Does the bus run by the airport? MV always seems easy to get around in season, but it's been a few years.
On the form, did you put your CFI’s certificate number in the box for latest BFR? It just says “number and date of last flight review”.

On the form, did you put your CFI’s certificate number in the box for latest BFR? It just says “number and date of last flight review”.
Nope. I just marked “January 2022“ since I’m scheduled to do it next month.

I walked the airport this morning.

There is a windsock at mid field.

Full fence around the airport area - no people or dogs allowed and should not happen much as they have to climb a fence to get in and out.

Surface is not as smooth as rolled grass, but I could not see much stopping a Cessna.

The elevation at the west end (06 numbers) is 48 feet with 75’ distance to 40’ trees. Elevation at the east end (24 numbers) is 20 feet with 20’ distance to 40’ trees. So slightly downhill taking off 06.

The #9 bus passed me as I was leaving, so that runs year round from County rd on the west side. You can get on the road/trail right at the east side to walk to the beach or Oak Bluffs.

Pictures are from the ends of 06/24.

Attachments

• 799E0A0E-7D43-4DF6-AD28-CA04DD87114A.jpeg
    799E0A0E-7D43-4DF6-AD28-CA04DD87114A.jpeg
    275.9 KB · Views: 73
  • E1B6A60B-90CE-45FD-BD29-7690CDBDB894.jpeg
    E1B6A60B-90CE-45FD-BD29-7690CDBDB894.jpeg
    399.9 KB · Views: 67
Thanks for the intel. The surface looks decent. Probably not silky smooth like Katama (one of the smoothest grass strips I’ve landed at) but good enough to get a 182 airborne.

Hopefully there’s some way to make it through the fence to get out of the airport.

Thanks for the intel. The surface looks decent. Probably not silky smooth like Katama (one of the smoothest grass strips I’ve landed at) but good enough to get a 182 airborne.

Hopefully there’s some way to make it through the fence to get out of the airport.
The fence is only edit: high tensile woven wire, not sharp on top and 3’-4’ high, so easy to climb over, but not easy enough that rich dog walkers will carry their dog over. If you are less-abled it could be a challenge, but there is perhaps an unlocked gate somewhere or the Land Bank could arrange for the gate to be unlocked perhaps.

I tried landing there this past May on a day with NE winds around 6-10 knots. KMVY tower was very helpful/cooperative (and warned others taking off from KMVY of my existence) -- I did a low approach followed by an attempted landing. I'm certainly no pro on short field landings, and the trees guarding the approach had my attention, but I did my best in my 182. Just after touching down, I rolled over a small bump in the runway that put me airborne again, and then caught a little gust that carried me still higher up (while I was very slow), so I elected to go around (I was right about at the 1/2 point of the runway when I decided to go around). The trees on the departure end came up quick but once I got the first notch of flaps retracted I was able to pitch for 60 mph and climb out with no issue. I decided that was enough for me for one morning and flew to Westerly and found a diner for breakfast. FWIW, the field did seem nice, and I'd like to try it again sometime. There is a gate code that the Land Trust sends you with your permission to land. No overnight parking allowed.

Very useful thread. Just applied, as I have a couple of guys I fly with who would like me to take them to little-known grass fields.

Very useful thread. Just applied, as I have a couple of guys I fly with who would like me to take them to little-known grass fields.
I would make an attempt at a casual organized fly-in any time other than the hot summer. My 150 can land there any day, but takes off like a lead balloon on hot summer days.

I walked out there today. No planes in sight. There was a guy coming out of the hangar, but he drove off before I could talk to him. I did talk to a local dog walker who said there had been a plane in there the day before, and that most people who fly in there do so because it’s so close to the golf course. She also made a snarky comment about the fence. :).

Attachments

• 8F975F92-FD4C-4BF7-847F-4830FD9AACF1.jpeg
    8F975F92-FD4C-4BF7-847F-4830FD9AACF1.jpeg
    306.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 313A840C-A224-437F-9666-367D6EA487FE.jpeg
    313A840C-A224-437F-9666-367D6EA487FE.jpeg
    350 KB · Views: 29
  • 41DDF572-2083-443E-8A21-B95A948C0A53.jpeg
    41DDF572-2083-443E-8A21-B95A948C0A53.jpeg
    332.3 KB · Views: 29
Back