Tipping FBO Staff

N444MD

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Man's mind and spirit grow with the space in which they are allowed to operate. — Krafft A. Ehricke
The question of how much to tip FBO staff came up recently and we decided to come here for the consensus. At a recent holiday stay we spent 3 nights in the (heated) hangar of the FBO and had the tanks filled. The FBO presented a bill of about $500.00 at departure. Not sure I'd tip 20% of that but what's your practice ?

I don't think you have to tip a percentage of the bill at the FBO, nor is a tip necessary in all situations. Line staff are not a tipped position. But I know the line staff always appreciates getting slipped a $20 when they do a good job for you.

You paid for the hangar, you paid for the fuel. Did they do anything above and beyond what you paid a lot of money for?

What are you flying? $5 on a bug smasher seems appropriate if they help with bags and such. If they waive sticks at me at that’s it, I don’t see where the service element of tipping comes in.

Right, it's not like a restaurant where the waitstaff is getting an absurdly low wage because tips are expected (in itself absurd, but that's another story). But $500 for three nights? How much of that was the fuel bill?

FBO employees do not work for sub minimum wage service worker wages, so a tip is not really necessary or expected, especially one based on a percentage of the cost of services. But if you’d hand them five or ten dollars, I’m sure they’d appreciate it. I certainly wouldn’t go over twenty unless service was extraordinarily spectacular.

Right, it's not like a restaurant where the waitstaff is getting an absurdly low wage because tips are expected (in itself absurd, but that's another story). But $500 for three nights? How much of that was the fuel bill?

$75 per night for a heated hangar, so $225 hangar and $275 fuel.

You paid for the hangar, you paid for the fuel. Did they do anything above and beyond what you paid a lot of money for?

They were very professional. Rolled a golf car to the plane, picked up luggage and took us to the gate. They also put a carpet at the plane itself which was a first time for us.

They were very professional. Rolled a golf car to the plane, picked up luggage and took us to the gate. They also put a carpet at the plane itself which was a first time for us.

ok, that's different than what you asked about.

This is not like a restaurant bill where the waitstaff and bar-staff is paid off your tip.

If the lineman is friendly and helpful and the fueler does a good job, I am sure they appreciate a tip. But it's the person you are tipping, not the company.

Five bucks to the fueler unless I pump my own. Maybe more if they carry all of my crap into the FBO.

When I was a ramp rat, it was all over the board. I got tipped $100 by a G5 crew for doing normal stuff, but I also got nothing from rescuing a Baron that had a flat on the runway. Just depends on the pilot

I tried tipping the FBO guy but he was too large. I don't know how people manage to do cows.

One December I flew the Navion into IAD where I had been based a decade earlier. I called up the FBO (now several changes of ownership/management later) and asked if they could either pull my plane inside or just get it close enough to the building to plug in the tannis.

The next day I came out to find my plane in the middle of a fairly empty cavernous hanger with the block heater plugged in. Yeah, I gave the guy $20.

I had a couple of friends who flew for NetJets. They carry a wad of fives and tip everybody for anything.

I usually don't carry cash, although when I'm going on a long trip I make an effort to have a little. If a rampie does something extra I'll give them $10-20.

At SSI the young guy loaded our bags onto a golf cart, helped tie down the plane, and delivered us to the front door of the hotel. I wished I had more than $10 on me to give to him.

Another unplanned stop at RZR the guy drove us to the hotel in the courtesy car and picked us up in the morning. Gave him $20 as he saved us at least that on an uber ride. Same deal when the guy at SUS drove me across town to get a rental car at STL.

Basically I try to tip if they go above & beyond normal service. Marshaling and fueling... that's normal stuff.

@masloki had a cool idea I thought... they carry a bunch of $2 bills to give for tips. They inspired me to get a wallet with some cash in it that lives in my flight bag so I'll actually have cash on me on the occasion service does go above & beyond.

I usually carried a bunch of $5s just for the linemen.... line folks.

If they smile and were friendly and did their job without complaining I would tip.

Believe me, they will remember you next time no matter if you tip or not...

I suppose I’m a (insert something here), having never tipped on the FBO side of things. I like the idea of carrying some cash around. I’ll start doing that.

I do believe it should be reserved for above and beyond. Maybe no one has gotten to that point for me yet? Well, save one - the only person at an FBO that ever went above and beyond was an owner. When the FBO was out of crew cars, the owner without hesitation threw us (@Jim K and @masloki) the keys to his truck. Since my travels often take me within some miles of that airport, I’ll likely go out of my way to plan a fuel stop there - even if fuel is $6 o_O

I tip $20 if someone goes above and beyond but that is more rare than common as I am also pretty self sufficient and like to be. Just fuel and pointing me to parking...don't generally tip.

Did tip one dude $20 upon arrival and as I was walking out of the FBO to the car looked back and he had the ladder out cleaning my windshield! That as a well spent tip!

No way is it ever a % of bill or services...FBO is not a restaurant and the bill is always a lot more that a burger!

I try to make sure I have $5s for anyone that touches the plane.

In other circumstances, I've stopped at McDonalds (or equivalent) and picked up a dozen breakfast sandwiches, handed it to the front desk girl with the simple instruction: You know what to do with these. When I pass through an hour later, it's almost guaranteed to be smiles and thanks all around. Everyone loves an Egga-Mooby Muffin.

That's pretty much what we surmised. On arrival the FBO was great with accommodations as above. We asked that the tanks be topped, but discovered at preflight they had completely missed the right tank, but fueled the left tank to the tab as requested. It was obvious something was amiss because the left wing was about 5" closer to the ground than the right ... lol. We always visually inspect the tanks, dip them and test for H2O so no harm done. As with all things, there were some big winners and a few losers in the group. Everyone's input is appreciated.

I try to always tip the linemen $5-10. They are going to tug your plane to parking.

If you don't tip for that reason alone you are crazy.

Believe me, they will remember you next time no matter if you tip or not...

I was told that there are three dangerous places in the FBO business:
- in front of a propeller plane
- behind a helicopter
- that strip between where the fuel truck is parked and the hangar of a good tipper for the 30 seconds after he calls for fuel.

Why do Americans think they have to tip everyone?

Well, if its a 'tipped position' like a waiter or bartender: Because otherwise that person doesn't get paid for the services he provides to you.

For anything else, you dont have to.

As for the line staff and fuelers. I dont know what they get paid, but I can't imagine its much. If one of them is friendly and helps me to push the plane back into the hangar, it is zero sacrifice for me to give him a 10 to recognize the extra effort. The german term for tip translates to 'money for a drink', and that's how I have always seen this. Whether he buys himself a beer on the way home or uses it to buy baby formula, doesn't matter to me, what matters is that someone showed up for work and did a good job.

I have discovered something else, it's called the 'magic recycling cart'. Somehow, when I come home friday evening, the recycling can has always rolled down 100ft of driveway and parked itself next to the regular trash cans. Its magic, happens every other week when the recycling contractor comes through (or maybe it's because my mother in law stops the guy every couple of months and gives him a 'generous handshake').

Most of the line guys at my Class D are young kids. I'm guessing they don't get paid much and they work their asses off in all kinds of weather so throwing them a $5 spot isn't a financial drain and if it gets them to me quicker when things are busy that's a bonus. I worked pumping gas at a gas station in college it sucked being our in blazing hear and snot freezing cold, these kids do the same thing here in New England $5.00 probably gets them an extra large coffee and a donut at Dunks.

Pretty good question. Do people in other countries tip? I believe the asian cultures view tipping as “rude”, but supposedly the waitstaff is compensated appropriately at least at restaurants and such. Not familiar with European or other cultures. In America it is expected to tip waitstaff to compensate for low wages.

Aviation? I’m on a teacher salary flying around. I carry $5s, $10s and $20s as an appreciation for those that take care of me when I visit their airport. And I always fill up the FBO beater-mobile whether they ask for it or not. Or at the very least put in $10 or whatever of gas so they aren’t eating the cost.

My daughter works customer service at a Bravo TacAir. They get occasional gifts in the form of unused catering, champagne or cash. She has said the most unappreciative (read that as rudest) are the small GA pilots. Chip on shoulder and such.

It’s not just about tipping. But treating others how they would want to be treated as well.

Personally I think the whole tipping thing in the US has become nuts. The craziest tipping story I have heard is the student pilot after passing his practical test trying to tip the DPE. That did not go well.

Be a Baller and Tip!

If I get service and attitude beyond the perfunctory I often tip.

A tip at the right time to the right person can save you money but that’s not the point. It will definitely result in more service and good will the next time that person sees you.

It’s nice to noticed and remembered for both server and customer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the hat tip. I did get the idea of always having some assorted bills in the flight bag from @Radar Contact. $2 bills was for a fun twist. It’s been great for line staff, but when traveling outside of the metros, it came in handy when we were surprised by cash only places.

I find it odd if you’re in the “well jeez, I guess I’ll carry some spare cash in my flight bag” camp. How inconvenient is it to have $20 or so in your wallet at all times? When did bills get so heavy or so large that it drags you down? Maybe I’m old skool, but I almost always have cash on me, just in case.

Personally I think the whole tipping thing in the US has become nuts. The craziest tipping story I have heard is the student pilot after passing his practical test trying to tip the DPE. That did not go well.
That's not out of control, that's just plain ignorant.

It is mostly wait staff as the federal minimum wage is only $2.13/hour for them while the federal standard is $7.25/hour for all other employees. The standard rate is near impossible to live on, the server rate is beyond impossible without tips. Though I could be wrong, I believe we are the only country in the world with a minimum wage that has a separate minimum wage for wait staff. To be honest, I’d rather have them paid a decent livable wage by their employer and just pay more for my purchase than have to tip, but that is the system we as a population have chosen to operate in. If we do not like it, we should voice our concerns to our elected representatives and suggest that not only should the standard minimum wage be increased but that the lower rate for wait staff be eliminated.

I find it odd if you’re in the “well jeez, I guess I’ll carry some spare cash in my flight bag” camp. How inconvenient is it to have $20 or so in your wallet at all times? When did bills get so heavy or so large that it drags you down? Maybe I’m old skool, but I almost always have cash on me, just in case.
With direct deposit and depositing smaller checks with my phone, I could count my annual trips to the bank on one hand. I assume all your cash comes from gambling on golf, but I'm not good enough to do that. When I do have cash in my wallet, it seems to disappear. My wife & kids take it, I use it at restaurants instead of the card, and I'll give a $20 at church instead of writing a check. I just can't hold onto it. Hence the idea of a less accessible stash.

My fear with tipping is I'm going to offend someone more by under-tipping than by not tipping at all. Especially when you're being compared to the jet set. I like the idea of it being "money for a drink"...$5 still buys a beer or two most places, so I guess it's not nothing.

I usually have some cash, but it's often just $20's. I would hate to ask for change when throwing a line guy a $5. So I have a few $5's in the plane. My golf club has a "2 club". You get a 2 on any hole and you pay everyone in your foursome $5. After that (forever) if you get a 2, the rest of your foursome gives you $2. I have a bunch of singles in my golf bag for that. I can go for months without using cash for anything out of my wallet.

With direct deposit and depositing smaller checks with my phone, I could count my annual trips to the bank on one hand. I assume all your cash comes from gambling on golf, but I'm not good enough to do that…..

Poker actually. I rarely win any money in golf unless I get completely lucky. Or I have a tailwind on my drive and the other hackers have a headwind.

I guess ‘having cash’ is part of my preflight. Always good to have cash on hand, although I never really thought about it for tipping, specifically. More for unexpected stuff, mx, h00kers n blow, you know…

I'll tip line guys if they go above and beyond, or if the pax have a ton of bags, or when they have to do a lav. Aside from that I don't normally tip.

But I will say, when I was a line guy, and knew a customer was coming in that was a regular big tipper, I would go out of my way to make sure they had the best parking spot and the best service. If I was really busy, I would be sure to help them first.

I usually don't carry cash, although when I'm going on a long trip I make an effort to have a little. If a rampie does something extra I'll give them $10-20.

I usually have some cash, but often twenties as that's what ATMs spit out, plus whatever is left over from my last purchase. When we're going on a trip I don't spend anything but twenties for a while beforehand and save all the smaller stuff. Then I have 5's and 10's for tipping and singles for vending machines; if I get too many singles I'll spend them beforehand.

Then I have options and tip on how much they help.

Wayne

I'll tip line guys if they go above and beyond, or if the pax have a ton of bags, or when they have to do a lav. Aside from that I don't normally tip.

But I will say, when I was a line guy, and knew a customer was coming in that was a regular big tipper, I would go out of my way to make sure they had the best parking spot and the best service. If I was really busy, I would be sure to help them first.

And that's why I tip the line guys.

I live roughly half the year in Mexico. Mex is a very “tippy” culture. I tip the gas station attendant for washing all the windows, $0.50-1.00. I tip the bagger at the grocery store $0.50. I tip the propane and water delivery men about $2.00.

and yeah, it’s nothing to carry some extra bills in one's wallet or coins in my pocket for such.

Back