Taylorcraft down California

donjohnston

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Don
Call me skeptical, but this looks staged. No attempt to restart, door looks like it was opened before the engine failure, etc.

Can't find anything in the Prelim reports.

Call me skeptical, but this looks staged. No attempt to restart, door looks like it was opened before the engine failure, etc.

Can't find anything in the Prelim reports.

I have to agree. A quick glance at another one of his flying videos he was not wearing a chute. Anything for more subscribers.

They should build planes out of whatever they make GoPros out of.

So your engine is out and you just happen to have your parachute on and have the forethought to carry a GoPro with you when you jump to capture the whole event. When the engine is supposedly dead he does some weird undulations of the yoke not sure what that is all about.

Not to pile on but YouTube is the devil and it is forever. If you crave attention and you are a pilot you do it at your own risk.
Probably not the best idea to on your channel where you talk about flying to say you were in a really dark place and considering suicide. Later in the video says he is laying in his truck in the hanger with a gun to his head.

Tough to say; he looks pretty panicked when the engine goes out. Hard to imagine throwing away an entire plane for views, but it’s a crazy crazy world…

I recently had the misfortune of talking with an NTSB investigator and he told me that often the SD cards often get ejected on impact and are almost impossible to find at a crash site.

Not to pile on but YouTube is the devil and it is forever. If you crave attention and you are a pilot you do it at your own risk.
Probably not the best idea to on your channel where you talk about flying to say you were in a really dark place and considering suicide. Later in the video says he is laying in his truck in the hanger with a gun to his head.

He maybe getting exactly the attention he wasn’t looking for from the FAA. I can see the email from YouTube now “one of your subscribers has a number for you to call…”

B.S. Nobody flies wearing a skydiving parachute. For that matter, nobody wears a parachute in a T-Craft unless it's to do aerobatics in a clipwing... or he's planning on leaving the plane. The plane flew over several places a T-Craft could easily land. Note that he gets the prop stopped, which takes deliberately flying on the edge of stall for awhile... but makes for good footage to "prove" the engine isn't running. Waste of a good plane, though it looks pretty rough; the rust on the wing struts makes me think the AD was never done and there might've been enough else wrong with it that it wasn't worth fixing. Hmmm, wonder if it was insured??? But the guy is obviously stupid, look where he landed, in a skydiving rig that has good control and forward speed.

I agree with it looking staged. A few things that bothered me were:

His parachute rig looked like a skydiving rig. As those have two canopies, it would be heavy and bulky. If I always flew with a parachute, I’d use an emergency parachute designed for pilots. Far more comfortable in the cockpit. And I would not hike down the mountain wearing the container with reserve in the case of having a skydiver rig. Why carry that extra weight?

If I was so safety conscious as to always wear a parachute and if I frequently flew over inhospitable terrain, I’d have a PLB on me. He apparently did not.

He was in freefall for way too long. Best to get under canopy asap so you can have a greater glide distance and have more time to find a better landing spot.

He was wearing a camera as if he planned to jump. Pilots do fly with multiple cameras on their plane but don’t typically wear one as a jumper would.

The fact that he landed close to the plane was a bit odd. Not impossible but improbable.

So, does seem suspicious.

But apparently, there was an accident, staged or not.
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/270066

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2021/12/taylorcraft-bl-65-n29508-accident.html?m=1

Well nothing says "come at me, bros" to the FAA and insurance companies like a well put together video with lots of views... is it too soon to break out the popcorn? To be fair though, in that nobody but the T-craft got hurt this is the best post in this thread in a while.

The kinds of things he'd do intentionally can be seen from the titles of his other videos: "How to break a bottle over your head", "Freight Train Hopping - Caught by the Conductor", "Skydiving Naked", "I almost died snowboarding", "I got attacked by a cow", oh, yes, and, "I Cheated on my Girlfriend".

It's a weird world out there.

Well nothing says "come at me, bros" to the FAA and insurance companies like a well put together video with lots of views... is it too soon to break out the popcorn? To be fair though, in that nobody but the T-craft got hurt this is the best post in this thread in a while.

Feels like something that could lead to charges being brought against him. You don't abandon an airplane and let it crash unless there is an emergency. Contriving an emergency doesn't count.

Feels like something that could lead to charges being brought against him. You don't abandon an airplane and let it crash unless there is an emergency. Contriving an emergency doesn't count.
In the olden days, there was a number I could call if I saw something truly "sketch", and wheels would turn. I wish that person still worked where they did.

9-1-1 WILL work even if the phone is not active with any provider but you obviously need service. this was totally staged.

Comments from YouTube viewers:

"I saw water and started crying." Wow. That's being thirsty on a whole another level.

Balloon Boy part 2: too much attention is never enough attention.

thank god you had all 5 GoPros running that day

Whats this?? The Jussie Smollett of youtubers?

Very staged and for those dumb enough to believe this is real we need to talk.

Next weeks episode: Trevor escapes a grizzly bear attack after it tackles him to the ground. He then beat it up and became the new alpha of the bear kingdom.

And from the fearless pilot himself:
Most intense day of my life. I love you Johnny. Fly in peace brother. Also, thanks to The Ridge Wallet for sponsoring this video. Check them out here: **********.com/trevor. Use Code "Trevor" for 10% off your order! [edited to remove link]

So he bails out of an airplane that glides really well, and gets under a canopy that doesn’t. Nevertheless, after crashing into the hillside grievously injuring himself (or so he claims) he ignores trying to find civilization/safety to go find his crashed aircraft, which he seemingly does with little effort (I suspect empty old tail dragger aircraft glide way better than skydiving parachutes). He even has the presence of mind to collect the chips out of his cameras despite his injuries and fears about survival. Finding the aircraft is simple, but hiking out of the mountains takes hours during which he’s in fear for his life.

That, and human ashes don’t fit in a ziplock baggie unless they parted out Johnny Strange, which is really gross. This video smells so many ways. Its biggest smell is insurance fraud.

...Its biggest smell is insurance fraud.

I'd say reckless endangerment or something similar. There was no way to know who was in the area or where the airplane was gonna land. "But, it is/was an uninhabited area." Yeah, except for the hikers/campers/cyclists/hunters or anyone else who might have been down there. This is similar to firing a gun blindly into the air. You just don't do it.

Of note, as the plane was descending powerless, some decent landing sites come into view. Looks like a road or a sand wash where a landing should have been fairly straightforward in a plane like that.

I noticed that dry creek bed as well, but I figured that was just the bush pilot in me.

Worst that could have happened landing on that dry sand is nosing over, which I figure for me is better than jumping out.

Does this qualify for membership in the Caterpillar Club.??

That, and to get the prop to stop he had to put the aircraft in a stall or pretty close to it. Hard to believe you’d go from cruise speed to stall speed before noticing the dead engine. Smells hard.

Let's see, 20 min. into the flight the ocean was off to his right. The crash was near New Cuyama (L88) which is around 160 miles due south so he would need to be flying north to reach Mammoth. To have the ocean to the right would require flying south east at best. I don't know where he started, but unless he was planning a long day going south to head up the Owens Valley the crash location doesn't make sense.

I almost feel bad adding to his view count. First, the door was already open before the engine fully died and I don't think anyone would bail out in fear of their life holding a camera. Poor Taylorcraft, hopefully this idiot gets a financial spanking and legal action against him.

Let's see, 20 min. into the flight the ocean was off to his right. The crash was near New Cuyama (L88) which is around 160 miles due south so he would need to be flying north to reach Mammoth. To have the ocean to the right would require flying south east at best. I don't know where he started, but unless he was planning a long day going south to head up the Owens Valley the crash location doesn't make sense.

From YouTube comments:

The N number of the 1940 Taylorcraft is blurred on video shots of the rudder. Based on the video I have determined that he departed from Lompoc (KLPC). He took off on RW 7. Based on the position of the sun it was between 0930 and 1030 local (1730Z) in the morning. At 2:30 into video he is just NE of Los Alamos, north of the 101. If he was headed to Mammoth (KMMH) this ain't the right direction. At 2:39 he is west of Zaca Lake entering the San Rafael Wilderness Area. Engine failure occurs just south of Water Canyon Campground. Crash site location is 34°48'49.40"N 119°57'36.85"W. The plane crashed approx 1 mile from the bail out point which happened to be directly over Bald Mountain Canyon. Bald Mountain Canyon is the only soft, flat and traveled area along the entire route across this particular mountain range, that said it still would not be ideal for an off airport landing. Survivability would not be a guarantee. As a parachute landing site it is ideal which begs the question as to why he landed on the hill near the plane. He landed 1200ft west of the crash site on the ridgeline overlooking the wreckage. All of this information was gained using Google Earth.

Let's all boycott the crappy wallet that was sponsoring this. And someone forward the other video to his AME. This guy wanted attention. He's got the FAA's now.

I always wear a parachute when I fly acro, which is several times a week. I would NEVER bail out due to engine stoppage. Any terrain too rugged to land a light airplane on is too rugged to jump into. I'm not afraid of jumping, did it 75 times in the Army, but I would rather have that steel frame around me to soak up the force.

Dude murdered a Taylorcraft for YouTube. As a former owner of two BC-12s, it’s my opinion that he’s a ridiculous attention seeking tool. That dude needs to apologize to all Taylorcraft owners.
That makes two this year. Another youtuber destroyed one for clicks as well.

I've never jumped before, but with all due respect, that don't sound right.

Like many broad statements, mine was an oversimplification. The actual type of terrain matters, as does the type of parachute and the skill of the jumper. But in general, people who have not been around parachute operations do not understand how dangerous landing can be. You are coming down fast, with both vertical and forward speed, and nothing to protect your body. It is similar to jumping off the hood of a car going 10 mph. Doesn't sound too bad, and on nice flat, soft ground it usually is not. But add obstacles such as trees, rocks, buildings, power lines, etc and the potential for serious injury is high. I've seen people get badly banged up going into trees, and know of people killed on impacts with trees and power lines. I also saw a guy drown in a pond not much bigger than a B-Ball court. Landing on pavement without a helmet is another good way to get hurt badly.

Round emergency chutes have very limited maneuvering ability, so once you exit, you are pretty much going to land where the wind decides to put you. So-called "steerable" chutes have a fixed forward drive of 10mph and the ability to rotate yourself to point the forward vector where you want to go, but that is it. Your glide ratio is on the order of 200 yards per 1000 feet of descent. You have some chance of picking a softer spot, but it is very limited, and if it is your first 10 jumps or so, forget it. I once saw a very experienced military jumper go through the windshield of a parked vehicle in the middle of an open field the size of a large airport.

Square skydive rigs have much more maneuvering ability, but that comes with it's own set of challenges, as you are essentially flying a cloth glider. A skilled skydiver can glide a long way and land in a small open space with zero descent rate. But they have a lot of forward drive, so if you do hit a fixed object the impact will be much faster, and if you screw up the flare timing you fall out of the sky from 20 feet or face plant at 30 mph. The guys you see jumping footballs into stadiums have thousands of jumps and years of experience. Most skydivers need a large level clearing to land safely; if you have that, why not just land the plane?

Bottom line, an airplane like a T-Craft has at least as much maneuvering ability as a parachute, and a lot more protection around you. Going into treetops, I'll take the plane every time. Would rather not leave my testicles hanging on a limb.

Last edited:
They should build planes out of whatever they make GoPros out of.

So your engine is out and you just happen to have your parachute on and have the forethought to carry a GoPro with you when you jump to capture the whole event. When the engine is supposedly dead he does some weird undulations of the yoke not sure what that is all about.
The selfie stick. You forgot the selfie stick. He has the forethought to carry a GoPro, parachute and the selfie stick.

Anyone who believes this was spontaneous is a maroon.

If nothing else, this intrepid u-tuber could be charged with littering.

It appeared that the camera mounted out near the tip of the left horizontal stabilizer was causing some significant flutter. That must have been some real clunky camera mount to have caused that ... I'm sure it was all professionally done.

Interesting that the only footage of the engine stopping was from the furthest camera. Can’t see him pull the mixture from that view. Kinda crazy. He is going to get a lot of attention that he didn’t expect from this I imagine.

"I crashed my plane"

Guy doesn't look like a Laura...the registered owner.

The only Trevor Jacob on the FAA registry got a student cert in 1998. This Trevor Jacob was born in '93.

Back