Suicide Attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Close to official is like a little pregnant. The OP specifically asked for options after talking to Bruce. I'm confused why you're so resistant to his getting a second opinion. Is it impossible for Bruce to be wrong?:confused2:
You have a point there. I think that the OP should apply for a medical. How else will he know for certain. [sarcasm alert]

Denial or deferral is MANDATORY for a suicide attempt per the Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners. OP said attempt, not ideation. An attempt is an overt act. I'm not an AME so I can't document the 10 year look back on that. I don't think it's published, but I imagine it's comparable to the 10 year lookback for your driver's records.

Any other AME that OP consults will tell him it will need to be deferred at best. If the AME optimistically says let's defer! - then OP has an extremely high chance of losing the light sport option maybe forever, there's no guarantee that after however many years he will be issued.

OP can get a second opinion if he wants to take a gamble on it really only being 5 years or 2 years, but there is a high chance he'll lose that gamble and then be locked out of light sport, possibly for good, if he lets that guy talk him into submitting.
Wow, everyone seems to agree with everything I wrote initially except actually getting a second opinion, which is pretty standard advice in medicine. :dunno:

You can also talk to AOPA or another AME and get a second opinion. The FAA's position is that whether you're certifiable after a suicide attempt is an FAA decision, so you should expect deferral at a minimum. But you might find an AME with a more optimistic attitude about eventual issuance. Still a risk since a denial will disqualify you from Sport Pilot.

Which is not an official statement.
And you're expert.....how? Some policies are internal and not published, but having done some ten year reversals do ya think I might know about it?

Or is this a, "I disagree it's gotta be fake" sorta deal.....He can get the real opinion, apply, and lose access to LSAs, and self launching gliders, too....hey, that's the ticket.....!!

When I saw the sleep apnea questionnaire, I though "how dumb does the senator think the airmen are?" But now I'm finding out!

There's some really TERRIBLE advice in this thread....do you have any idea how many pilots who have been denied, write for help that's a wee little bit too late......(!?). The certified denial letter says "Does not meet the stds for pilot in command". You will sign certified mail or they will eventually use a process server. Then try to claim 61.53 for LSA or Self launching glider. Good luck with that.

Yeah, Everyone should apply, and get the real answer. That's okay by FAA, it eliminates many LSA and Basic operators right off the top!
Everyone can cook!
Anyone can fly!
Yeah, that's the ticket!

[sarcasm alert].
That's also one dumb-A-- piece of advice. Applying within 10 years of sucidality or of a psychosis is an Rx to lose all access to LSAs. Sure, give it a try, you'll get the real answer and this SGOTI (his anon handle starts with an "L") told me to apply. Right.Do you think this guy should apply, too? Have At!!! https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/necrotized-pancreas.135895/

To the OP, this poster above is totally anon. Doesnt want to own up to anything he writes. All draw their own conclusion.

Attachments

• LindberghMemberProfile.pdf
    71.2 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
OP
10 years will fly by in a LS! Be patient and endeavor to persevere.

Yeah, Everyone should apply, and get the real answer.
You didn't answer my last question, so now how about pointing out where I said the OP should go ahead and apply. Heck, you could even just point out somewhere i contradicted something you said.

Point to where I claimed to be an expert please.
You are giving "expert" advise......

I'm simply calling out your really terrible advice. He applies, he loses all privileges, likely forever, or at least for the next 7 years.

So.....why don't you publish your AME credentials?

You didn't answer my last question, so now how about pointing out where I said the OP should go ahead and apply. Heck, you could even just point out somewhere i contradicted something you said.
Learn to be gracious and Just let it go, please.

Wow, everyone seems to agree with everything I wrote initially except actually getting a second opinion, which is pretty standard advice in medicine. :dunno:
So you’re saying he should get a second opinion about whether or not he attempted suicide?

second opinions are considered standard for diagnosis and treatment. Second opinions on government policies are actually called “appeals”.

Last edited:
And you're expert.....how? Some policies are internal and not published, but having done some ten year reversals do ya think I might know about it?

Or is this a, "I disagree it's gotta be fake" sorta deal.....He can get the real opinion, apply, and lose access to LSAs, and self launching gliders, too....hey, that's the ticket.....!!

When I saw the sleep apnea questionnaire, I though "how dumb does the senator think the airmen are?" But now I'm finding out!

There's some really TERRIBLE advice in this thread....do you have any idea how many pilots who have been denied, write for help that's a wee little bit too late......(!?). The certified denial letter says "Does not meet the stds for pilot in command". You will sign certified mail or they will eventually use a process server. Then try to claim 61.53 for LSA or Self launching glider. Good luck with that.

Why are the policies internal and hidden, Bruce?

You are giving "expert" advise......

I'm simply calling out your really terrible advice. He applies, he loses all privileges, likely forever, or at least for the next 7 years.

So.....why don't you publish your AME credentials?
Begging the question again. When did I advise him to apply?

Begging the question again. When did I advise him to apply?
I see you did not. However, any AME who has HIMS drugs & alcohol credentials knows that he will be denied. It's the AMEs who don't have drug and alcohol credentials who say, "we'll lets apply and see what they want". And then the pilot gets a flat out denial.

Yah he should get a second opinion but he has a 2800 to 140 (total AMEs to HIMS AMEs) chance of getting bad advice..... :(.

Are we done yet? I'm done arguing with essentially an ANON.

No, you’re a licensed Sport Pilot. So what?

Because you’re applying for a job that requires a PPL among other ratings, so since that’s a minimum requirement, they might count only hours logged as a PPL, or even hours after you get your CPL.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Asimov "A Cult of Ignorance", Newsweek, Jan. 21, 1980

Except this isn't medicine. It's dealing with the bureaucracy of FAA Aerospace Medicine...

I agree with the chorus of those suggesting that the OP get a sport plane and have a blast for the next few years ...

upload_2021-12-24_0-36-6.png

Last edited:
OP, your asking the wrong questions. The top professional in this field says you have a 10 year ban. Accept it. If you really want to get a PPL, you need to be asking an expert, like Dr Chen what you need to be doing over the next 7 years to have the greatest chance of success. Just burning 7 years wont do anything. You need to show years of recovery, that the depression is treated/gone/misdiagnosed/etc. That the reason you were on meds is resolved. "I just decided to stop taking them 7 years ago" will not work. I would say at a minimum you need to be seeing a mental health care professional regularly for the next 7 years and build a record of wellness. Untill then, go sport pilot as many have suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back