Pilot Juice

Freshly roasted and ground right before brewing are two of the most important things for good coffee. When I roasted the beans I would use them within a week. My subscription service is once a month and up to a week from roaster to my house so now it’s five weeks at the outside. Still not as bad as 9 months on the grocery store shelf. Next comes clean equipment. The gunk that collects goes rancid fast and affects your cup so I brush out that grinder every couple of days. Now I know which way to reinstall it, I didn’t make that mistake twice.
What temp water do you use or do you measure it at all?

At work anything black and strong. During the holidays back with Baileys or whiskey....:rolleyes:

Most of my life I hated coffee. But in an effort to kick a soda habit (which was inevitably driven by a need for caffeine) I started drinking coffee this year.. and I love it! and I went hardcore off the bat, IE, no sugar, cream, just black. Figured if I was kicking the soda might as well not swap one evil for another and ditch the sugar

there's a mom and pop type shop down the street that roasts their own coffee, there's a medium to medium dark roast (they call it a 7/10) Ethiopian that's my current favorite. Have a decent (but 'cheap' grinder) that I use

Love it, don't miss the soda. I appreciate that coffee is something you can geek out on

You may check out James Hoffman's YouTube channel, he's got a good short piece on the birth of espresso

Mocha-Java or Blue Mountain if I can find them. Or anything dark roast. Unfortunately the whole bean selection around here is pretty sparse. Black, no sugar. Kicking Horse coffee is pretty good. I don't care for Dunkin Donuts coffee (too sweet) or Starbucks. I have a coffee maker with a built in grinder and timer so it's waiting when I crawl out of bed. Thermal carafe, no hot plate to burn it.

I started out with espresso and worked backwards.

PS.. if I have flying trips that will put me in the air 2+ hrs I don't drink any caffeine the day before. Bit of a 'skilled dehydration' of sorts.. salty snacks, and a few sips of water. I have an (ir)rational fear of needing to make an 'emergency' landing somewhere, to @PaulS point above

PS.. if I have flying trips that will put me in the air 2+ hrs I don't drink any caffeine the day before. Bit of a 'skilled dehydration' of sorts.. salty snacks, and a few sips of water. I have an (ir)rational fear of needing to make an 'emergency' landing somewhere, to @PaulS point above
https://traveljohn.com/

Have you ever visited the in-laws and been served hot coffee in the morning only to find out later they had switched to decaf?

I don't or rather can't, drink coffee at my in law's house. They keep the house temperature just below that of hot coffee and I sweat enough already.

ha! I've actually got a box of these in my flying bag. So far I haven't had to use it.. BUT, I've had pax on two occasions make use.. one was my right seater and the other was luckily in the back. Planes get real small quickly when there's four of you and some 'maneuvering' get's involved..

Have you ever visited the in-laws and been served hot coffee in the morning only to find out later they had switched to decaf?

No but back in college my roommate had a party at his parents house in Long Island. It was a pretty good rager and when we woke up the next afternoon all his mom had was decaf.

I appreciate that coffee is something you can geek out on
This is precisely what got me into coffee, or more specifically, espresso. I never drank it until work got a manually operated espresso machine. After watching a few coworkers try to operate the machine with varying degrees of success, I decided that I've got to try it on my own. I still haven't quite mastered latte art, though. Wishing I could do something as nice as this:

Screen-Shot-2015-12-30-at-9.32.45-AM.png

Same. Can’t do Folgers or any of the instant variety. Just had Chick-fil-a’s coffee this morning for the first time and I thought it was actually really good. They claim to use Columbian Arabica beans by Thrive Farmers. Definitely tasted better than much of the fast food variety type.

Chik-fil-A.. ughh to me taste like run off from a tree root..
I prefer Kona Coffee from Hawaii, but i have known to settle for the bargain basement stuff.. like mc donalds or the stuff my job pumps out..

I switched to decaf years ago when I had to start blood pressure medication. It didn’t make much sense to me to take a pill to lower my BP only to drink a few cups of something that raises it.

Usually at home it’s k-cups of Dunkin’ or Peet’s. Often (not always) with cream and sugar, but right now I’m using a splash of eggnog.

When I drank caf, I used to buy pricey beans and grind my own, but I haven’t found any decafs that justify the hassle.

I get green (unroasted) coffee beans from Lions Gate in Kona, HI and roast them myself. We never have coffee that's more than a few days from being roasted (coffee can pretty much be stored indefinitely unroasted).

Maxwell House, or if I'm splurging, Folgers.

Kidding, but I do really like those red Folgers containers for storage. I need to find people who drink that stuff.

Maxwell House, or if I'm splurging, Folgers.

Kidding, but I do really like those red Folgers containers for storage. I need to find people who drink that stuff.

Remembering Gabriel Heater " When I say Coffee , I mean Folgers". :)

Have to admit, I may try roasting my own beans now.... just what I need, another ‘hobby’.

Marc

I like my coffee like my wife ... "sweet, blonde, strong, fresh, & hot!" :happydance:

Never liked coffee or Scotch. I'm told both are acquired tastes. No one has successfully explained to me why I should put in that effort.

Never liked coffee or Scotch. I'm told both are acquired tastes. No one has successfully explained to me why I should put in that effort.

Kinda like most beer ... that is some nasty stuff ... :vomit:

I always liked beer. No idea why. Dad handed me a Stroh's while he was driving, when I was about 8, and much to his surprise I just liked it. Hot day, it was cold and fizzy. Not his brightest move, but for him not his worst, either. Had I tried a Bud, or these days an IPA first, I probably wouldn't have tried another, though.

I switched to decaf years ago when I had to start blood pressure medication. It didn’t make much sense to me to take a pill to lower my BP only to drink a few cups of something that raises it.
Did switching to decaf move the needle?

30 lbs just delivered yesterday... it’s Christmas. :)View attachment 103048
Ohh that looks good! I’ve gotta have a dark roast if I’m going to drink it. Can’t do any of the light stuff as I might as well just keep diluting it with water. No creamer, sugar or any of that, just straight black.

Sounds like you don’t like scotch. Probably shouldn’t drink it. I like scotch. Have from the first sip. No acquisition required other than buying the bottle. I wouldn’t drink the stuff if it wasn’t good.

Sounds like you don’t like scotch. Probably shouldn’t drink it. I like scotch. Have from the first sip. No acquisition required other than buying the bottle. I wouldn’t drink the stuff if it wasn’t good.

So very true. If whisky is an acquired taste, it’s only because every time I’ve acquired a bottle, I couldn’t wait to get a taste. A dram of good Islay whisky with an appropriately paired beer, a good movie, fireplace burning…. Heaven. Sip, enjoy.

Ohh that looks good! I’ve gotta have a dark roast if I’m going to drink it. Can’t do any of the light stuff as I might as well just keep diluting it with water. No creamer, sugar or any of that, just straight black.

As a friend told me once, 'I like my coffee to bark @ me" - I'd have to agree.

I always liked beer. No idea why. Dad handed me a Stroh's while he was driving, when I was about 8, and much to his surprise I just liked it. Hot day, it was cold and fizzy. Not his brightest move, but for him not his worst, either. Had I tried a Bud, or these days an IPA first, I probably wouldn't have tried another, though.

My first taste of beer was when I was 5 years old. My grandfather took me to the local bar, now this isn’t as bad as it sounds. It was a community club consisting of a lot of immigrants from Germany and Austria. During the Second World War, as you can imagine, there was a lot of hate directed toward German speaking Americans (my grandfather had become a citizen by then but still had a heavy accent) so they formed their own social circles. The club lasted well beyond the war, in fact I believe it’s still active to this day. The local “pub” was the natural meeting place in European culture and there was no taboo against children drinking beer. So I was sitting at the bar and when the bartender set my grandfather’s beer in front of him, he moved it over to me and looked at me expectantly. So I did the natural thing; tasted it and made a face, to the delight of my grandfather and his buddies.

I like Scotch, but it has to be the good stuff. Probably fortunately, because the cost keeps me from over indulging. Liked it from the beginning. Beer, OTOH, was an acquired taste... but I had plenty of time to acquire it in college. :cheers:

I like my coffee in the approach configuration: Down and Dirty.

I say that around pilots and they rarely understand the reference. Noobs...

Back