Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Aka Coffee…

What’s your favorite?

going on 4 years without coffee. but my go-to was dunkin donuts.

Brazilian… most everything else is too acidic for me

I woulda bet a nickel this was gonna be about which flavor Monster Energy or BANG! drink pilots are drinking.

Coffee? That’s sooooo TWA-era.

I like anything that's freshly roasted. I prefer that over brand or anything else, so generally any local roaster is my go-to since they often have the freshest beans.

Is it low acid? I find coffee too acidic for me.
Well, all coffee is acidic, and I don’t believe Brazilian is the lowest. But I find the balance of flavor, bitterness, and acid better balanced in South American brews than others.

1. Dillanos Coffee Howie's Blend
2. Peet's Major Dickason
3. Dillanos Black and Tan

Peet's Major Dickason decaf.

same...except what is this decaf that you mention? Mine says nothing like that on the box!!
in K-Cup...for the convenience.

Santa is bringing me a Nescafe so I can make myself a cortado or something similar. I'm gonna have to find a good brand/type to use in that machine....

I like anything that's freshly roasted. I prefer that over brand or anything else, so generally any local roaster is my go-to since they often have the freshest beans.
Same. Can’t do Folgers or any of the instant variety. Just had Chick-fil-a’s coffee this morning for the first time and I thought it was actually really good. They claim to use Columbian Arabica beans by Thrive Farmers. Definitely tasted better than much of the fast food variety type.

same...except what is this decaf that you mention? Mine says nothing like that on the box!!
in K-Cup...for the convenience.

Santa is bringing me a Nescafe so I can make myself a cortado or something similar. I'm gonna have to find a good brand/type to use in that machine....
Love my Nespresso. Especially now that Target carries the pods and I don't have to order from the factory.

I used to roast my own. I’d order the beans from sweetmarias.com and roast them in a hot air popper. It’s a lot of fuss and mess but fun. I got tired of the fuss and mess.

1. Dillanos Coffee Howie's Blend
2. Peet's Major Dickason
3. Dillanos Black and Tan

I used to get Peet’s, but I’ve switched to Black Rifle, alternating between “Just Black” (medium roast) and “Murdered Out” (extra dark). I can’t decide which roast I like best.

Major Dickason's decaf is available in my local grocery store. It is only available pre-ground. I would prefer whole beans, but you take what you can get. The package is the same as other Peet's, except it has a green block on the front.

I used to roast my own. I’d order the beans from sweetmarias.com and roast them in a hot air popper. It’s a lot of fuss and mess but fun. I got tired of the fuss and mess.
I have a 5lb Kyle drum on a gas grill rotisserie, it cuts way down on the time and mess. I prefer Sumatran or Ethiopian roasted fairly dark (by ear more than by appearance) and left to outgas for a day or two but I'll happily settle for Starbucks or whatever gas station I'm passing if need be. Most of the home roast goes to espresso.

Nauga,
beaned

I have a 5lb Kyle drum on a gas grill rotisserie, it cuts way down on the time and mess. I prefer Sumatran or Ethiopian roasted fairly dark (by ear more than by appearance) and left to outgas for a day or two but I'll happily settle for Starbucks or whatever gas station I'm passing if need be. Most of the home roast goes to espresso.

Nauga,
beaned

You feel like shipping me a half pound of that home roasted heaven? :)

Lately it's been Dunkin' Donuts in the Keurig. A family member brought me an assortment of others to try.

At the Commander fly-in they were gifting these:

dotafresh_600x600.gif

Nauga,
beaned

I’m literally addicted to the caffeine, so I have to get coffee wherever I am. Hotel room coffee is the very worst. The breakfast buffet dispenser is marginally better but then I have to put clothes on and drag my uncaffeinated self down to the lobby, so if I’m alone it’s a dilemma. If my husband is there he’ll bring me the lobby coffee, bless him. But if it tastes bad I have to drink it anyway just as a vehicle for the drug.

My brother roasts his own for espresso like you, he has a Behmore roaster. I guess your gas grill is outside so all that fluffy stuff blows away in the wind? I’d always do mine out on the porch, after the very first time in the kitchen when I learned my lesson.

I just read the old 2018 coffee thread yesterday looking for recommendations and then this new one pops up!

My wife loves coffee - I got her a coffee grinder and a pour over thing for Christmas.
uTTZUC7.png

I don't love the bitter acidic taste but it does make good coffee. What kind of beans would take this to the next level?

I’m literally addicted to the caffeine, so I have to get coffee wherever I am. Hotel room coffee is the very worst. The breakfast buffet dispenser is marginally better but then I have to put clothes on and drag my uncaffeinated self down to the lobby, so if I’m alone it’s a dilemma.
That's what the aeropress and a cheap immersion heater are for ;) I carry them in a "Rosie the Riveter" lunchbox. My family jokes about getting me handcuffs for it.

Nauga,
whose aeropress should have its own passport.

My brother roasts his own for espresso like you, he has a Behmore roaster. I guess your gas grill is outside so all that fluffy stuff blows away in the wind? I’d always do mine out on the porch, after the very first time in the kitchen when I learned my lesson.
It's outside for the heat and smoke as much as the chaff. The occasional drum fire is also a bit less exciting outdoors :eek:

Nauga,
carrying a torch

I CAN'T STAND PEETS!!!!!!!

Yes I'm screaming. I hatred bitter coffee. Peets has bitter coffee. Come to think of it, I don't even really like coffee that much but I need one cup in the morning to ward off headaches.

Anyone here do coffee enemas.?? Do you use cream and sugar.??

I don't need a stimulant in the morning or whenever to ''get me going''.

I don't even drink soft drinks. Seldomly a glass of wine, but no caffeine, no sugar, no nicotine or any other addictive substance.

And I am here to tell ya, the cost of sugar free wine will make a tea totaler out of me yet... :yesnod:

Stein and I actually have something in common? :eek:

Can't stand coffee. Even if you add a ton of chocolate, sugar, cream, whatever it still tastes like crap. No thanks.

Dunkin is the best there is for big name brands.

My all-time favorite is JET FUEL:

Jet_Fuel_12_oz_1024x1024.jpg

I just read the old 2018 coffee thread yesterday looking for recommendations and then this new one pops up!

My wife loves coffee - I got her a coffee grinder and a pour over thing for Christmas.
uTTZUC7.png

I don't love the bitter acidic taste but it does make good coffee. What kind of beans would take this to the next level?

I’ve got that same grinder, and I do pour over method too most of the time. I do have a 1956 Sunbeam electric percolator I use sometimes for that nostalgic percolator sound and aroma.

What kind of beans? Anything from a good roast to order source. Never buy grocery store beans. They sit on the shelf for weeks and months.

If your wife ever reinstalls the burr upside down after cleaning and tries to put the hopper back on, the burr will lock in place and you have to stick a knife in the slot on the base part and rotate it back counterclockwise. Just YouTube it. You’d think they’d tell you that in the user manual but no.

I’ve got that same grinder, and I do pour over method too most of the time. I do have a 1956 Sunbeam electric percolator I use sometimes for that nostalgic percolator sound and aroma.

What kind of beans? Anything from a good roast to order source. Never buy grocery store beans. They sit on the shelf for weeks and months.

If your wife ever reinstalls the burr upside down after cleaning and tries to put the hopper back on, the burr will lock in place and you have to stick a knife in the slot on the base part and rotate it back counterclockwise. Just YouTube it. You’d think they’d tell you that in the user manual but no.

These are the beans we used and they're supermarket bought and have also sat in our pantry for a while since we didn't have a grinder (we bought them by accident). We have a Keurig that we used before this (Green Mountain something) and it has been bitter/tangy/sour/something wrong with the aftertaste. The bag we had that was freshly ground was amazing in comparison, but I know there's more potential with a different bean. I like milk and sugar in my tea and coffee and a mild flavor that isn't sharp if that makes sense. More of a smooth flavor I think?

Great intel on the burr grinder - I didn't even know that was possible!

Whatever you serve is fine with me. No preference except no decaf. Has to have the caf.

Whatever you serve is fine with me. No preference except no decaf. Has to have the caf.

Have you ever visited the in-laws and been served hot coffee in the morning only to find out later they had switched to decaf?

These are the beans we used and they're supermarket bought and have also sat in our pantry for a while since we didn't have a grinder (we bought them by accident). We have a Keurig that we used before this (Green Mountain something) and it has been bitter/tangy/sour/something wrong with the aftertaste. The bag we had that was freshly ground was amazing in comparison, but I know there's more potential with a different bean. I like milk and sugar in my tea and coffee and a mild flavor that isn't sharp if that makes sense. More of a smooth flavor I think?

Great intel on the burr grinder - I didn't even know that was possible!

Freshly roasted and ground right before brewing are two of the most important things for good coffee. When I roasted the beans I would use them within a week. My subscription service is once a month and up to a week from roaster to my house so now it’s five weeks at the outside. Still not as bad as 9 months on the grocery store shelf. Next comes clean equipment. The gunk that collects goes rancid fast and affects your cup so I brush out that grinder every couple of days. Now I know which way to reinstall it, I didn’t make that mistake twice.

I like my coffee like I like my women. Dark and bitter.

Or …. Oh, never mind.

We were drinking Starbucks Veranda Blend for a while, then the price doubled. Now we’re back to a 50/50 mix of Pear’s breakfast and house blends. It’s a compromise. I like a French or Italian espresso roast, my wife likes a light roast. So we drink the light roast.

Then she puts an extra espresso shot in hers.

:facepalm:

Back