How bad is storing your plane on tie downs and not in a hangar?

Just being curious, as my local airport doesn't appear to have any hangars.

I know what happens to boats stored outside, I imagine a plane is worse.
Most airplanes around here (Ottawa, Canada) are tied down outside all year. Almost all of them have canopy covers and cowl plugs, and in the winter, wing and elevator/stabilator covers. Paint still lasts for decades, and the planes don't seem have have any more problems than hangared planes.

For me, the biggest benefit of a hangar would be not having to brush snow off the covers in the winter before removing them, and after that, having a warm, dry home away from home where I could set up a comfy chair and a tea kettle in the corner, and store a lot of tools I'll probably never use and piles of old aviation books and magazines for rainy or snowy afternoons.

But I don't think a hangar is all that critical for the airplane's health, as long as you cover it up properly outside.

Covers do more damage than they save in most cases.
The biggest benefit of a canopy cover is protecting the interior from UV. The benefit of wing and elevator/stabilator covers is being able to remove ice and snow without scraping against the paint. The benefit of an insulated cowl cover is keeping heat in from a preheater. For all of these, the benefits far outweigh the harm (which is usually limited to slight wear in a couple of spots near the belly where the straps touch).

I know what they’re for. I used them for 30 years. I hate ‘em.

My 180 was painted in single stage Imron and parked outside in Alaska for 19 years before it was hangared. The paint looks brand new.

My interior and instruments don’t suffer from temp swings, and they’ve seen lots.

UV exposure and hail are the big two problems for anything parked outside. Mitigate those and you should be fine.

Maybe in the northern latitudes, but not in Florida.
Maybe being tied down planes don’t get the love a hangared plane does, but I have never seen a long term resident plane that’s in good condition.
Corrosion, cracked plastic and leather, paint is dull/peeling/hazing.
And steam instruments may handle it but new electronic equipment not so much. Faded plastic faceplates, corrosion of connections, etc.

Maybe in the northern latitudes, but not in Florida.
Maybe being tied down planes don’t get the love a hangared plane does, but I have never seen a long term resident plane that’s in good condition.
Corrosion, cracked plastic and leather, paint is dull/peeling/hazing.
And steam instruments may handle it but new electronic equipment not so much. Faded plastic faceplates, corrosion of connections, etc.
All that cracked plastic, hazing, etc. makes it sound like they're leaving the planes outside without a canopy cover, which is always a bad idea. You don't want to let any U/V into the interior.

Am I right in guessing that Florida hangars are sealed and air-conditioned/dehumidified 24/7, and that's why there's less corrosion for hangared planes (as long as people don't open the doors too often)?

All that cracked plastic, hazing, etc. makes it sound like they're leaving the planes outside without a canopy cover, which is always a bad idea. You don't want to let any U/V into the interior.

Am I right in guessing that Florida hangars are sealed and air-conditioned/dehumidified 24/7, and that's why there's less corrosion for hangared planes (as long as people don't open the doors too often)?

Definitely not climate controlled hangars, you’d have to buy a hangar home to get that level of luxury. But I have an old cam shaft sitting around that hasn’t rusted except where dust has accumulated, it absorbs the moisture I guess, so the lesson is if you keep your plane clean (inside and out) you won’t have to worry about corrosion.
Most don’t use covers, some use shades, some nothing.

yeah that;'s the problem down here we get 71 inches of rainfall annually and it's a constant 100% degree humidity and temps are already in the mid 90's. At the very least, the plane would have to be under a pavilion I would imagine.
This, for me, raises the question as to why you even live there? The only worst place to store your plane is under water.

Last edited:
Never lost a month due to wx. Mx, otoh...
Some places maybe. In the frozen North it can be problematic. And summer is no fun with a blazing hot airplane, and I doubt all that blazing heat does the instruments any good.

I stored my AA-1A outside for about a year until I could get a hangar. The biggest problems, other than dealing with snow and ice in winter, was baking the crap out of avionics and instruments, resulting in frequent failures and repairs. That abated as soon as I moved indoors to a hangar. A cockpit cover can help some. But being outside in the wet just enhances the chances or corrosion issues. Never again will I store a plane outdoors.

I keep mine in a hangar. I live on the east coast of FL and keeping it outside to me simply isn't an option. The cost would be less, but the airport I'm based at is a busy class C and the option is hangar, or don't base there. There's no tiedown parking at my airport. And convenience is my number 2 priority behind airplane safety. It's by far the closest airport to my house so it's worth the extra cost. I'd keep it in a hangar regardless so keeping it at the closest airport is worth the extra cost compared to the extra drive to just save a little in parking. I could go to a further airport and save a little in hangar or tiedown parking, but again on the east coast of FL it's not cheap no matter where you go. So sometimes the hangar v not hangar debate is what is the convenience worth to you?

I travel almost half the month for work, the peace of mind that the airplane is covered after one of those nasty FL storms is worth it, especially since I can't get over to check the plane quickly when I'm on the road. With the the way the weather is here I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my plane outside. I also like having the hangar as kind of a hangout space.

Now this changes based on the plane too, if I had a less expensive plane I wasn't planning on keeping long, or one that was already significantly aged in it's paint etc I'd consider keeping it tied down if said airport was closer.

So I think the answer is that it depends on what you own, where you live, and what's available. Where I live, even if I could find a hangar, I'd have to drive a lot further, and the cost difference would be enough to repaint my plane every few years.

Planes seem to do better outside in colder climates than in warmer ones, according to several posts in this thread (and my own experience), as long as you have good covers.

I think for most of us it comes down to cost first. We ALL "Want" a hangar, but when shared hangars run $500-$600/month vs $100/month tiedowns in 2021 near me there is just no choice that I will be going with outdoor tiedowns. As much as I would love a hangar, I can't justify or even afford $500/mo. additional for it.

The airport that I am based out of has tie-downs for free, as long as you buy your fuel from them, or non-existent hangars for $300/month. I could choose to drive another 25 miles and get a shared (currently empty) corporate hangar for $275/month. I'm thinking the extra half-hour drive will be worth it, you know, if my plane ever gets out of annual. The upside of a 4-month long annual is that my Peggy has been hangared for that period at no additional cost. :(

unfortunately,
The airport that I am based out of has tie-downs for free, as long as you buy your fuel from them, or non-existent hangars for $300/month. I could choose to drive another 25 miles and get a shared (currently empty) corporate hangar for $275/month. I'm thinking the extra half-hour drive will be worth it, you know, if my plane ever gets out of annual. The upside of a 4-month long annual is that my Peggy has been hangared for that period at no additional cost. :(
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way around here. when the shop is waiting for parts to come in, they usually push a plane outside to make room, so my plane would probably be outside for most of the 4 months anyway.

The corporate hanger sounds like a great deal. that's less than half of what you'd have to pay around Ottawa (even with the currency conversion), assuming you could find anything available.

I sold my plane instead of moving it from a hangar in AL to outside in WV. I could not abuse it that way.

035BA1BE-87A1-4F9B-9923-F3A8A96B9F8A.jpeg I am lucky that I rent a T hangar for 311 a month. I spend a lot of time there. Kinda like a man cave. I go there 5-7 days a week and my wife likes it that way! Lol

yup I keep tools and books and a couple comfy chairs and hang out with my hangar neighbor’s at the airport. Definitely worth 311 a month.

My wife does come by every once in a while to check up on me!

I doubt that the temperature increase of one degree Centigrade since 1900 is likely to affect aircraft finishes much.
It's when they flood. Haven't you heard? All of the glaciers and icebergs are melting at an alarming rate! The oceans are all gonna' rise to the tieout ramps unless we agree to give the government more tax dollars and are willing to give up more of our rights - just long enough to "turn the tide" though. We should probably also send $20 a month to Sally Struthers. Whatever group she's fronting for now probably has the solution to our plight.

This is where my business is
Also you live where your heart takes you. Even if somebody could prove to me logically that it would be better for me to live somewhere else (an impossible task in real life, because we wouldn't be able to agree on starting premises), I wouldn't leave Ottawa.

Also you live where your heart takes you. Even if somebody could prove to me logically that it would be better for me to live somewhere else (an impossible task in real life, because we wouldn't be able to agree on starting premises), I wouldn't leave Ottawa.
yeah I really like the fishing and outdoors down here too

and all my family is here

Some days are worse than others. Winds gusted to 90 for the better part of three days. Lots of damage. CDF0FAA3-9B2F-429E-8380-C1A20D16977A.jpeg

Back